Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A childish crush

One of those times when I was in school!
We were in the same class 9th Standard 'A'division, and same 'Green'house. He was the 'row monitor' as well.
Then, I realized, I had a crush on him..My first crush! The reasons, that were quite stupid!
Coz he was tall, and had those small twinking eyes and an ever smiling face. Above all, he used to top in Algebra, Geometry and Physics. Despite that, I was ahead of him as I was good in everything else:D
But, I used to admire him coz of that. I had this thing for people who were good at maths, which was never my strong point anyways!Its wierd how we find people endearing.
Well, somehow, I always used to be the second rank holder and never ever came at the top of the class.
I was a teacher's pet, studious types, who always did her homework, who had a neat handwriting, punctual and who used to say the morning prayers on the stage along with 'Father' and who represented the 'Literary Club'
Teacher's thought he was cool, coz he was in the 'Math & Science Club', the interschool' Quiz competition' and who was exceptionally gifted when it comes to calculations.
This was the only thing that I found immensely attractive.
I did not know a word of his family nor was aware of his personal life, nor did I know whether he was into tennis or into cricket.
I did not know a word about him. I did not KNOW him.
Come 10th std, when I got my spectacles. I so badly wanted those 'symbol of being studious' and to show the junta that 'Hey, am going to top the boards'.
The only thing of loving those glasses, was that..he used to call me 'scholar' and the feeling was awesome!
The next week, I found him with those pair of glasses as well:)
I thought that this was something!
In 10th standard, both of us got the same percentage and I topped the school amongst girls. We went to the same junior college, science stream.
Was amazed to see him also there. He followed me to the same coaching classes as well.
Well, anyhow with the occurance of so many chance events, the mind starts building castles in the air. You tend to read more into the situation, when the situation does not actually have anything that justifies your thinking!
We passed out 12th grade and did consider engineering as an option,coz I had started liking 'Integration & Derivatives':) and coz of Priyanka and maybe subconsiouly to follow him (it was unlikely for him to consider any other option).
Never mind, I chose to do something else.
All this while, we never got in touch with each other, despite living in the same town. But, I knew where he studied.
Finally, met him in final year while we were travelling in the train. Was amazed to see a huge change in him..his metamorphosis from a nerd to a smart engineer, who was selected in campus interview at 'Wipro'. From someone who never talked to any girl other than me in school to someone who was a sweetheart of the group, that had predominantly female members.
I started to wonder...
Finally, we exchanged email addresses of each other and kept in touch. During that time, I was all set to come to US.
Later, he got a job at 'Infosys' and he moved to some other state.
He kinda remained at the back of my mind.
When I was to fly here, I visited him and he presented me with a 'Ganesh Idol' that stays in my 'mandir' here and a card that says ' As you embark on a new journey, full of promises and opportunities, always remember that there is this friend over here, who will miss you'.
Last, I heard from his was when I went to India this Summer (talked to him, but did not meet him).
He fell in love and is set to marry his sweetheart tommorrow.
As, I read his wedding invitation, I cant help but think of a journey that has spanned for 9 years!
Well, its another thing, I chose to be silent of what I had felt for him, then. He never knew and will never know. That was the beauty of this friendship.
The only thing, that will remain in my mind is the autograph book that he had signed for me in 10th standard.
It said,
"Met you as a Stranger,
Took you as a friend,
Hope our friendship remains till we reach heaven,
where friendship never ends"
Here's to my friend, for a happy and a blissful married life!
Apart from so many changes,he still remains the bespectacled cute looking, scholar guy whom I knew from my 9th standard.
Its different that this girl, has moved on from glasses to contact lenses:D

Comments on "A childish crush"

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (6:00 PM) : 

So sweet..
Don't we all have high school crushes.

-thanu

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (6:11 PM) : 

#Vik,

I think you n Thanu are vying for the same spot:)

yeah! I have dumped these qualities elsehwere now!! I so wish to become the same old ROS from before.

#Thanu,

Yeah..we all do..those innocent ones:)

 

Blogger Bhole said ... (6:28 PM) : 

ROS - I never had a crush in high school....didn't go to a co-ed school :(

Bhole

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (6:38 PM) : 

# Bhole,

There are other places to find girls;) They are everywhere!!

 

Blogger Bhole said ... (6:57 PM) : 

ROS - Tumhe to pata hi hai main kita bhola hoon :)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (8:01 PM) : 

#Bhole,
Ya bhole, waheen to maar kha gaya India!! You can if you think, you can:p

 

Blogger vi said ... (8:15 PM) : 

aaawwaa so sweet!

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (8:20 PM) : 

#Vi,
:D..looks like am posting comments everywhere today..thanks that Buddha is not there...

 

Blogger Nandya said ... (8:47 PM) : 

i had this huge crush in the 2nd standard on this girl Sarwani Shah..if i have got the name right...she left our school in the 5th standard...but by that time i was hopelessly in love with her...she had played my mother in a Play and then my wife in another one...it was a magical time...then after she had left i met her when i was in the 7th standard in a Camp..at the Chinmaya mission...i was too lost to even talk to her...so Sarwani if u are reading this...wud abs love to hear from you...

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:19 PM) : 

# Nandu,

Aww...ROTFL
Cho chweet..lil Nandu in love at age of 6:)
You know..I guess she would indeed be reading this with her kids and telling them of how open their 'Nandu Mama'has been in expressing his feelings:D
& BTW, dint you try googling her:p

 

Blogger Nandya said ... (11:18 PM) : 

hmm....i tried no luck...i asked all my school friends..too but no luck...i was the only one in touch with her the longest...sheez...

this is how i remember her...

she had beautiful curly hair...

a dimple on her rosy cheeks

and she is wearing a pink frock...with frills...but frankly the face is a little blurry now but i am sure mera dil pehchaan lega if i saw her...

ha such a wishful thinking...

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (12:35 AM) : 

Hey Nandu,

Hehhehee:-) Do you think she will still be dressed in pink color frock with frills?:D
Almost 75% Indian women have curly hair and almost 95%girls have pink color frocks with frills on them at the age of 6 (Thanu might be an exception:D)So, in that case, what are the odds of you finding her?:) That was funny!!

BTW, have you considered the fact that she might have changed her name and must've moved from Ahmedabad to Tinseltown and mustve become Preity Zinta ??

You might want to check that:D

 

Blogger aria said ... (3:12 AM) : 

Waah. Great read! Reminded me of all my school-time n college-time crushes. I had a new one every year so thankfully I don't miss them. Favorite remains the guy - with whom I had my first beer :D (hes still in touch!)

 

Blogger Phoenix said ... (3:26 AM) : 

hey that's a very sWEEEEEEEEEEEEET post..and extremely touching.
thereĆ” lot of innocence there....loved to read it...

The reasons, that were quite stupid!

They always are, right!

Anyway, do u wish, or have u ever wished, u confessed ur feelings...life cd have been so different...
happens with all of us I guess, and with many of our crushes...they dont find expression, and actually, expression does spoil a lot of things...the beauty of frndships and of unspoken romances...

it's funny hw much life teaches us in little things!

 

Blogger Phoenix said ... (3:26 AM) : 

hey that's a very sWEEEEEEEEEEEEET post..and extremely touching.
thereĆ” lot of innocence there....loved to read it...

The reasons, that were quite stupid!

They always are, right!

Anyway, do u wish, or have u ever wished, u confessed ur feelings...life cd have been so different...
happens with all of us I guess, and with many of our crushes...they dont find expression, and actually, expression does spoil a lot of things...the beauty of frndships and of unspoken romances...

it's funny hw much life teaches us in little things!

 

Blogger jeenu said ... (9:41 AM) : 

hey ROS
we are so much alike in the aspect..i like guys who are good in maths..the studious ones...with those specs..:D
i love looking at them when are engrossed in something the way they adjust specs..i always identified specs with smartness ....unfortunately i dont wear specs..but sometimes i do wear plain glasses whenever i TA so i look all scholarly :)
nice read
cheers
jeenu

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (10:03 AM) : 

ROS baby,

What an incredible post! Reminded me of my school time crushes too...

:)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:39 AM) : 

#Aria,

Hehhe:) I still haven't drank beer..:(
Crush every new year..thats cool..I can count on my fingers as to how many I have had:(

#Phoenix girl,

Ah! you know I had thought about it to, what if.......life cd have been so different...

But,you know what..sometimes, you just want to leave things that way..after all Words have no meaning, for words left unsaid

Maybe, he was meant to be a 'crush'
:)Glad you liked the post!

#Jeens,
Yes! I second that too..Hmm..now I think about it all my crushes have had "chashma"...Good one more thing common;)

#Sash,
Thanks gurl:) One appreciates that..Just a trivia:D

 

Blogger Kaala Kavva said ... (11:43 AM) : 

oh shit.. yaar
nice nice..

very nice...

that is a very emotional post.. good yaar

 

Blogger Parth Anand said ... (4:48 PM) : 

sweet and touching...
made me wish I attended a co-ed school...and also reminded me of my first crush when I was in 10th std...

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (6:22 PM) : 

Hey Z,

Are emotional nahi re..Just cute:-) Glad you liked it!

Hey Parth,
Thanks:) Hmm..I am so glad I had been to a co-ed school..had loads of fun getting the bad boys punished:D..Ummm..Will watch out for your post on your first crush in 10th:)

 

Blogger Kaala Kavva said ... (5:16 AM) : 

yaar ur post reminded me of many things and inspired me too.. ill surely write sumtn related in some time..

and i say again
ver nicely written

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:11 AM) : 

I was hoping for something else, and so I felt sad all of a sudden when I read about his wedding. Just being there in your shoes.....

ROS...kyon nahi bola :-(

Very touching. Great post.

Hope you both always remain sweet friends.

PS: This reminded me of my first crush too: 7th grade :-) But it was hilarious now that I look back :-) Mr.X had a crush on me, I had it on Mr.Y, and Mr.Y had it on Ms.Z. It was exactly like this! And everyone knew it too :-) And the sweetest thing was how innocent it all was!

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (7:13 AM) : 

Oye Z,
Thanks, baby! I will be on the look out...

Hey Harshi,

Are its OK..Today is his reception:)Its so easy to go confront someone with your feelings, but what you are scared of is, the after effects..naah! not worth taking the risk:)

Yours is kinda mine when I was in Pharmacy..n certianly not childish and 'innocent'

Thanks re! you liked the post!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 AM) : 

it was am amazing post

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (11:37 AM) : 

Hey Anon!

Thanks:)

 

Blogger Chitra said ... (2:11 AM) : 

Hey nice one !!

 

So you were saying....