Powered by Blogger

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Food, movie masti

The best part about being with a diverse group of friend's is that you learn a lot, about them and about yourself.
I am not talking about global diversity but about diversity amongst Indians.
I am indeed fortunate that I am getting that kinda opportunity here in US. I am doing stuff that I never did while in India. Maybe thats what makes you appreciate the cultural diversity in our country.
For example: I was with three other friends today. Two marathi friends, including me, one gujju babe and other telugu guy.
Gujju babe had invited us for dinner and it made me realize that there are so many things that I have not done for a long time and so many things that I did for the first time.
Things not done in a long time:
  • Eaten Bhakris (its a marathi dish) its one thing that I have not eaten in like 5 years. Realized that Gujju's call it "Rotla".

  • Eaten to my hearts content that too food cooked and plate ready when you come back home tired. Imagine coming home to a wholesome meal of rotis, kadhi, khichdi and subzi!! Food tastes best when you are hungry as hell.
  • Eaten in a STEEL PLATE!

Things done for the first time:

I have always felt that I probably do not have any inclination towards learning new languages. Was always amazed at how my sister picked up languages. She can converse fluently in 6 Indian languages. I have been contented talking in Hindi and marathi apart from english. But off late, poor Jagan is being a patient teacher, by teaching me tamil. Ok! I do know few things in tamil but I think if I converse in that, all Tamilians will bury me alive!

Also, I am trying to assault Telugu language now!

We were watching a telugu movie today and it was the very first movie that I watched in a language that I did not understand.

I dont even know the name of the movie but the movie was a refreshing change, though it was bollywoodish!

I am not going to go into the details of the movie but it had a famous star 'Trisha' and a guy "Siddharth'

  • First of all, I don't know why the film makers do not apply any logic when they make a movie. The guy is supposed to be studying at a University in London and he wears a T-shirt that says "University of Oklahoma State":O. I am sure even Oklahoma state doesnt know about the fictional existence of this university!!
  • Secondly, the guys father says to his son who left UK to stay in small village for his girl 'How come you are slogging here, leaving all the dollars that I have accumulated for you" Man!! he could have atleast mentioned pounds...and he is a millionaire..who doesnt know in what currency he earns!!!
  • Thirdly, the movie was a telugu remake of our good old hindi "Maine Pyaar Kiya".Chalo, good to know that atleast somebody copies bollywood too:)
  • Neverthless, the movie was fun watching it with friends.
  • Also, have you realized that it is so easy to pick up swear words from any language..for example, I learnt that a monkey is called "Koti"in telugu:)) I know, I wont use it on anybody but this was the only word that I picked up and probably wont forget!

Overall, a nice day!! A welcome change...and sometimes, you dont have to understand everything that you do!


Comments on "Food, movie masti"

 

Blogger Kaala Kavva said ... (7:23 AM) : 

hahaha!
yeh madrasi filim to mast thee!

now i will say
"arre sunrays! tu roti hai"
hahahahha
hahaha

and dollar wala pad ke max hasee aaye!
ahhaha

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (8:46 AM) : 

Hey koti! :)

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (10:10 AM) : 

See change is good... chal have a great day

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Roti :((

I miss "Ma ke haath ki Roti"

 

Blogger Jagan said ... (11:02 AM) : 

so u hav started watching telugu movies too ? the movie u saw was "nuvvuosthante nenuodantanta " or something i guess . I hav seen tht movie too ..well , it was just the effect of having crush on telugu babe ;) ..neways may b u sud watch "aarya" , another telugu flick .again not much place for logic but good entertainment .

and abt the teaching part ...ofc , i will charge soemthing for that :)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (11:52 AM) : 

#Moghul,
Oye kya hai.Hey Nitin tere kitne naam:))
Khichdi miltee nahi hai baccha bananee padtee hai:))

Sonali Bendre..hmmmm...I know the reason why:P

#Viks,
Areeee..I was about to put a disclaimer on the top. "If you are Vikram please dont read it":)))

#Prady,
Long time no see:)Kool for atleast a week:)

#Prasad,
Yeah!!we had subtitles too..and it had wierd translations to a song.."You are like milkpot in the galaxy":)))

 

Blogger Ujwal said ... (12:19 PM) : 

Univ of oklahoma in UK.....hahaha!
that is so ridiculously funny.
Btw, do u know how to prepare Bhakri...i think it must be difficult! :(
And yes I still havent got what ur deadline task was? May be I am dumb :(

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (1:10 PM) : 

# Zkid,
Thoda hasee wala chapaat for you:D

#Sash,
HAHHAHAHAHA..I can predict your comments baby:))

#Thanu
Haan ji:)

#Ankur,
Are, India Spice rocks a little bit:))

#Jagan
Hey ya! I din know the title.But there was a song called "Something Something" in that:O
So whats your "Gurudakshina"buddy?:)


#Ujwal!!
Hmmm..Answered your question already:) Also, making bhakris is very easy.you want tuition:P

 

Blogger Ujwal said ... (1:54 PM) : 

yeah...teacher fees aur timing kya hoga?

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (2:34 PM) : 

# Moghul,
hahahahah..teree pic to yeh bilkool bayaan nahi kartee:p
In that T-shirt of yours, it makes you look like "Gareeb Moghul" Jara raza waja wale kapde shapde to pehen:))) Akbar types:P

#Ujwal,

The teacher is quite flexible. Gurudakshina will be decided only after you take few classes and timings bhi student-friendly hain.
So kya khayal hai "Mere student banoge":D

 

Blogger Ujwal said ... (4:06 PM) : 

sample taste of that bhakri milni chahiye pahile..
btw that "mere student banoge" sounds like a sequel of mera naam joker....(hrishi kapoor, simi garewal)..thingy!
:))

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:07 PM) : 

adding to ur bloopers list... a scene in which the guys mom is travelling in a car and says she is in london ... then i thought wth ..when did my city got renamed 'london'

and whats wrong with ppl in UK wearing american univ T-shirts :?:

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (4:22 PM) : 

#Ujwal,
Sheesh! Please koi aur example yaar..that "Mera Naam Joker"movie is absolutely creepy:O

#Spammy,
Noo..there is nothingw wrong with a UK guy wearing American Univ T-shirt, but there is no University with that name here..as far as I know..They either have University of Oklahoma" or "State University of Oklahoma" not "University of Oklahoma State" I even googled to see if such univ exists:P

 

Blogger Jagan said ... (4:56 PM) : 

i havnt yet decided on ghurudakshina ..will tell you later :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 PM) : 

lol.. tht movie must have been fun..

when did monkey become a -swear- word ????

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:49 PM) : 

lol.. tht movie must have been fun..

when did monkey become a -swear- word ????ord ????

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 PM) : 

Best regards from NY! » » »

 

So you were saying....