Powered by Blogger

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Lessons learnt from mommie dear

Today, I received a surprise package from my cousin in Boston.
He had been to India and surprisingly he sent some goodies that he got for me!
Can't beleive my face just lit up looking at the contents.
Ladoos, pedas, Chaklis.
Those things that were available at the neighborhood 'Ghasitaram Halwai', suddenly seems to have disappeared into oblivion.
Those goodies that we took for granted at some point of time, seem to be on top of 'my list of cravings'
There was a time, when I was a young-brash and stubborn kid,
  • When my mom used to give 'Roti & subzi' for lunch, I used to throw tantrums at the constant menu options as far as lunch was concerned. I would thump my feet, behave arrogantly. That time, my mom used to just say "You will realize its value, when you wont' get to it everyday".Now, I know what she meant by that. Homemade round rotis are now the most desirable things.

  • When I did not eat food cooked in the afternoon, at anytime later even during that day. For me, food should be cooked fresh everyday. But, now..I am more than happy to find leftovers in the refrigerator, when I get back home at night and when I dont have an iota of energy left to cook.

  • When, I would throw food in the trash coz I did not feel like eating it or if I did not like it. She just said, "Wait until you start earning yourself". Now, I know what she meant..I hate to waste food now. I consider it a crime to just dispose it off in that garbage. That 60-hrs per week effort in the trash!!!

  • When, she would ask me what I would wanted to eat for dinner and I would be more interested in watching "Disney Adventures' than worry about whats-cooking-tonite and answer "Cook, whatever you want"..and now I have to really think hard as to what I want to eat, rather cook! It used to drive her nuts and I find myself in the exact same situation, when I ask my friends as to what I should fix for them and they just tell me the same! I feel like sunaofying them left-right and center..Dude, atleast tell me what you want to eat!!!!

Sometimes, you dont realize the value of certian things, unless you dont find that thing anymore.

Its human to take things for granted and we will continue doing that for as long as we live.

I only wish, if only I would have known it earlier that this is how I am going to feel after I 'grow-up'..but then isn't this what growing up is all about?

You cannot learn all the lessons at once.

& Some lessons only prove to be useful after you see its applications.

After all life is all about practicals based on theories that you have learnt.

The things that my brother sent were just regular stuff, but something that is priceless to me in current scenario, when I don't get to eat it.
Whats more its come right at the time of Diwali...
I am contented..

Comments on "Lessons learnt from mommie dear"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:40 PM) : 

First to comment...finally...! An excellent post might I say. I totally agree with you ROS...there are so many things that one does not value until they are lost...so many things in life. One of the things that I catch myself thinking a lot about now a days is how much we sacrifice without even giving it a second thought...when we decide to come to the US. With each passing day...I am confronted by the absence of something that I thought at one point in time to be mundane...but which I now sorely miss. Always to learn!

 

Blogger vi said ... (9:43 PM) : 

I know exactly what you mean!
Well enjoy the sweets!
Btw, Toronto mein tu chape chape pe mithai ki dukan hai!
US mein asa nahi hai kya?


vi

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:17 PM) : 

hey Freako,

We sacrifice simple joys for the sake of something bigger!Thanks for liking it:-)

Hey Vik,

Kya karen, at this time of the year, I have to think Indian food and sweets!

Hy Vee,
Are woh sab khake, I have skipped my dinner:)Nahi re, we have two pianful Indian restuarants here, and I prefer my food to theirs..and mithai! Only if one of our aunts or my cousin here makes it!

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (10:55 PM) : 

Very well said. When we have a place of our own that is when we realize what all our moms used to do ard the house. Imagine when we where kids mom's didn't have microwaves, the four stove top stoves still cooked something for breakfast, lunch and dinner and we would complain.

-thanu

 

Blogger Parth Anand said ... (11:53 PM) : 

ROS..what a coincidence... last weekend..my friend and I had an identical conversation..and today it is echoed on your blog...
thats the irony of life and its so true that you realize the value of something only after u lose it....

 

Blogger Kaala Kavva said ... (5:19 AM) : 

arre i think all kids do the same.. every1 troubles their moms like this..

my mom still treats me as a kid in food matters though...

but ive always hated throwing eatables... i used to eat even though i didnt wanna and tried not the throw food away...

 

Blogger Deeps said ... (8:18 AM) : 

Yeah agree with everything you said :).

Being in a different country has its advantages, but main disadvantage is the lack of Indian food. There are 3 Indian restaurants in my town, but they are all north-indian. Seems like its been years since I had a dosa not made by me :-p. There are sweets available in Indian stores, but they just aren't the home-made ones :-|.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (8:43 AM) : 

#Thanu,

Ya talk about microwaves and frozen peas!!as opposed to LPG Gas and breaking open the peas!!

#Parth,

Wow thats a coincidence:) I think this topic always hits amongst junta in and around diwali time..

# Hey Z

You are a nice child. Unfortunately, I was not that way:(


# Czar,
Ya its a marathi delicacy. unfortunately, I do not know the hindi synonym for that:( Just run a google image search:p
Are Ghasitaram, was a made up name..dindt know which halwai I should take:p

And we do get mithais here, but woh baat nahi:(

Happy Diwali to you to, Kiddo:)

#Deeps,
Yeah! welcome deeps..Another new lady entrant:)
Oh tell me about it!! I just make Gits dosa coz the grinder here, sucks! And its been ages since I ate idlis..I think 2 mths back. We ate at an udipi place in Minneapolis! That was amazing..aka how you get in India!!

 

Blogger jeenu said ... (9:12 AM) : 

hey ROS
seems like u got an advanced delivery of diwali mittai..: enjoy girl..
well mom got to sunofy me when she came to visit me here :D..i ate everything withtout even a peep and even said that is the best food here
hmmmmm...
well waiting for goodies from didi ...:D
cheers
jeenu

 

Blogger Nandya said ... (9:48 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Blogger Nandya said ... (9:49 AM) : 

Well this Diwali...moi has been invited to three potluck dinners...(note my popularity)..ofcourse nandya will go to the one with the maximum girls..in ...so will be making Shira...and possibly some Biryani...

 

Blogger aria said ... (10:02 AM) : 

Yup - so many things mommie dearest said to us - at almost every point of life. We realize the worth of it - all the time. it's always relevant.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:03 AM) : 

# Jeens,

Whoa! cool...Enjoy your sweets as well:)

#Nandu,
Are poplular nahi..good cook, maybe:D

Are you have a fourth invitation too, In Omaha:)) want to come?

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Hey Aria,

Umm...good to see you, Mermaid:) yeah, the lessons will always be relevant!!

 

Blogger Nandya said ... (10:10 AM) : 

ha ha...Jaroor...How many girls are there first..??...actually tu hain to aur ki kya jaroorat hain....

i am also going to make Kopra Pak..i abs love Sabudana kichdi...but my attempts at it have been miserable..

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:12 AM) : 

Hey Nandu,
Now am going to beat you up!! You are taking the names of al my fav foodies:(
Are omaha mein girls hi girls hain:D
No guys:(
Let me add :Tall guys:p

 

Blogger Nandya said ... (10:25 AM) : 

nobody tall enuf for u gal..

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:40 AM) : 

# Nandu,
Sob Sob:(

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (11:12 AM) : 

Saw on jeenu's post that u have no exp today. So enjoy ur day, happy Friday.

-thanu

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (11:27 AM) : 

Hey Thanu,

For the first time in ages, friday is going to be lil peaceful:_)Wish you the same, girlie:)

 

Blogger Bhole said ... (5:24 PM) : 

ROS - My snacks got over just in time for diwali....anyways....you njoy the sweets.

VI - Btw, Toronto mein tu chape chape pe mithai ki dukan hai!
US mein asa nahi hai kya?
only if you go to Oak Tree Road (NJ) or Devon Street (Chicago) or Al Camino Real (California) :)

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (10:50 PM) : 

Oh man... totally identify with all the bulletted points you wrote! Damn, now I miss mummy ke haath ka rajma! And the festive Diwali goods she used to make! :(

Sometimes, I wish you were my flatmate, ROS. We'd have such a blast talkin' and cookin' and generally havin' a blast!

SIGH!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 AM) : 

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
» »

 

So you were saying....