Powered by Blogger

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Scientists on the dance floor

The Navratri season is well over...but we put on our dancing shoes and made merry..
Early memories of 'My escapades with dandiya' race back to the time when I played it for the first time at 'Sankalp'..Bombay..For those of ya'll who don't know what it is, here s a gist!! Its the largest organization in Bombay that arranges the garba and dandiya every navratri season..It redifines the entire meaning of the festival.
But that was just once, coz being a damn expensive place, you don't get that luxury often:-)
So since then, I started playing it regularly and never looked back!
Actually, for a person who has two left feet (This is me) and who gets extremely conscious, with anything and everything that has more than 20 spectators, dancing becomes a serious thing:)
But, during Navratri I let go off all those inhibitions and dance as if no one is watching..the only time I recall when I do not care if my steps match the beat or if I dance like a typical gujju:)
Well, today was awesome in every respect, coz me and my cousin had a gala time..
I guess, for me its his presence that generates the necessary spirit. Sometimes, some people spread that air of excitment around them, that you just feel like being a part of the whole thing.
There was a lot that was happening. Me, for one cannot just sit and gaze and let life pass by that way. I enjoyed the time and also made a lot of interesting observations.
First of all, can you beleive that out of the nearly 150+ crowd over there..nearly 10 % of them were americans..who were dancing away to glory. Dressed in jeans but sporting a 'bindi'..Man, it was a site to watch.. What was exciting was to see how they adapted themselves according to us and learning the steps as well. Not just that, they also waited until the 'aarti' was over:-)
Secondly, the other remarkable thing was, how these american raised gujju's danced!
Imagine after being in this country, and dancing away on hip-hop-rock music, they danced to "Pethal Poorma' with so much of elan!!! Just as someone who has spent his major part of life in suburban bombay (Borivli, Vile Parle to name a few) would. Totally amazing..
Lastly, there were a few faculty members from our university too. These scientists are super super busy with millions of funding but still taking the time out for just-one-night! It was wonderful to see one of my professors dance to the tune with so much of grace. She is one dynamic lady in science and today I saw her equally good at having fun too.
Such people definitely are inspiring. People who know how to do the balancing act. Who do not just drown themselves into their monotonous life style but also know how to let their hair down once-in-a-while!
Danced for 6 hours straight, cant recollect a time when I have stood up continuosuly in the lab for that duration:O
Anyhow, I know my muscles are going to ache real bad tommorrow. Neverthless, its going to be a sweet pain:)

Comments on "Scientists on the dance floor"

 

Blogger aria said ... (7:01 AM) : 

Kewl! Must hv been an awesome site.. watching your profs dance! Nice read. Glad to know you had fun n so did others!
Btw after reading Jeenu's post .. I was just wondering - Did you wear saree ?? heh

 

Blogger Kaala Kavva said ... (7:04 AM) : 

no ji.. for garba girls wear lehenga choli

 

Blogger aria said ... (8:42 AM) : 

Ok ji. As you say! Me never been to Garba. Humaare gaaon mein sirf gilli danda hota hai! Dandiya ka sirf naam suna hai! :)

 

Blogger Kaala Kavva said ... (8:45 AM) : 

hawwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!
you;ve never been to garba ?????/
oh shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh no!!!!!!!

btw even ive never gone...

 

Blogger jeenu said ... (10:49 AM) : 

hey ROS,
sounds like i should have taken a flight to nebraska and attended the garba there :)
good that u had fun..and yes iam as curious as Aria to know wat u wore for the garba..
rock on girl :D
cheers
jeenu

 

Blogger vi said ... (11:32 AM) : 

Ros,
Seems like you had a great time! And keen observations to share too!
Yes, all the girls are wondering what you wore sari or something else?

vi

 

Blogger Bhole said ... (11:33 AM) : 

Oye ROS ;)

Looks like you had a blast. Good for you :)

Bhole

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (1:22 PM) : 

#Aria,

Okk..no saree for me..I wore a 'bandhani'salwar kurta:P

#Z,

Oops! colorful kide..lolz! bahut ladkyon ko observe karte ho;)

Aria,
Sahi-jawab:))

#Z,
Shame on you..Hawwwwwwwwww

#Jeenu,
Hey ya, actually we had lots of fun.Entire desi junta dancing away..In fact, I am more actively invollved in soicial functions here than I was in Bombay

#Bhole,

Yes, ji:)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (1:44 PM) : 

# Vikram

You can be only as bad as you think! Try once again..Garba and Dandiya are the places where you can start:)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (2:03 PM) : 

# Vikram,

"Concentrate on where you want to go, not on what you fear". - Anthony Robbins

If you really want to do something worthwhile, you have to get rid of those 'innate' fears:)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (2:16 PM) : 

# Vikram

haha! that was so easy for me to say. I remember who much coaxing my cousin had to do in order to get my feet moving..(2 yrs back) but I decided that I would not let my fear get the better of me..Trust me, it works..coz nobody actually cares:D

 

Blogger Kaala Kavva said ... (2:25 PM) : 

@sunrays
sheer sloth..
instead of writing ze exaggeratorr(which u shud actaully) u could have written ze exagg. or sumtn but z looks pathetic.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (9:33 PM) : 

Wow, Pradyot,

Life is awesome..despite all the downs:)

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (6:37 AM) : 

Oh man, I wanna dance the garba too! :(

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:27 AM) : 

# Sash,

Hmmm!! Garba 2006 is waiting for you with open arms:)Vikram will give you company as well:p

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (11:50 AM) : 

I believe Garbha has become a commercial thing here in US. There are lot of places that actually splits Navarathi into 3 weekends (Fri/sat/sun). Navarathi is a religious thing but I think it has turned into Indianized clubbing that kids can go with parents approval.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (1:24 PM) : 

Hey Thanu,

I dont necessarily think dandiya or other festivals are coomercial things. As far as I think,dandiya is more commericalized in Mumbai and over hyped. Considering the voracious amount of money they rake up for these events. It certainly not is indanized clubbing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:38 AM) : 

What a great site » »

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:40 AM) : 

Keep up the good work prozac benefits laptop batteries subaru gear grey fire alarm kaz humidifier website internet parental control adderall 15 mg. fire alarm pull stations fire bell alarm liposuction of female lanks and abdomen

 

So you were saying....