Powered by Blogger

Saturday, December 03, 2005

I love you Tai

For people who are non marathis and who do not know the meaning of Tai..it means Elder sister.

Don't know what am going to write in this, but let the thoughts flow.

I had a boombox here (Cassette+CD player) which has been with me, since I got to US. Pretty cheap, $20 stereo.

Suddenly, it stopped working and even though my laptop blares with music all the time, woh baat nahi thee.

Know why??

Coz, I could not play my cassettes in there.

Yes! call me primitive, but like all the other senti things in my life, these things mean a lot to me.

I have audio cassettes, from the era of Kishore Kumar until Abhijeet Sawant.

When me and my sister, were growing up, that time CDs were not the "in"things and were quite expensive. We used to buy cassettes from our monthly savings.

Aah! the best part was since, we liked one or two songs from each movie, we used to painstakingly make lists and then finally record it.

That was quite an ordeal.

In the end, we had quite a good collection of songs.

Tai was nice enuf to give all the cassettes to me, when coming here.

I realized that I haven't played any of those songs in ages. Today was the day. I got all the music on and am listening to those "Golden Collections" for almost 8 hours now. These include:

  • ABBA that I stole from my Mama (Uncle) and which he still doesnt't know.

  • Jagjit's Marasim, that was presented to me by my school friend, Yogesh.

  • A cassette dutifully recorded by my friend, Shamik. Hold your breath, it has all those "Boy Band" songs, which I used to listen to in my teenage years. Man! don't remember, when was the last time, I heard that song from "Boyzone" or "Backstreet Boys":)) [Respectively called as "Un Ladkon ki gali" & "Peechlee gali ke ladke":)) by our gang;)

  • MLTR's "Paint my love", the first cassette that I purchased from "Planet M"


One incident that I still recollect has to do with the movie "Darr".

I was listening to this song"Jadooo teree nazar" and flash came things right in front of my eyes.

The thing is, my sister is very beautiful and resembles Juhi Chawla to a large extent. Though, I still refuse to believe that :O

I am saying this with a lot of ease right now, but believe me I had a hard time accepting that, when I used to hear it oh-so-often.

Right from bajuwalee aunty to road romeos, everyone used to call her "Juhi".

I donno why, my heart used to clench at that time.

I used to get very jealous at that.

For no fault of my sis or Juhi, I hated watching Juhi's movies.

I was pretty naive at that time and of course I was jealous that my sister was prettier than I am .

There was a time, when I used to flip the channel if I saw her movies and my sister would not say anything. She was a Psychology major student and knew what exactly sibling-rivalry meant. I would call her "Juhi Chaywalee" instead.

All this sounds childish and stupid. As I am writing this post, even I get a feeling.

Now, we both are at that stage that none of these things matter to both of us.

Funny, we are hardly into hindi movies these days. She is busy with her life and me busy with my own life.

Strange enuf, both of us don't discuss Bollywood at all. Our discussions range from "what-did-you-cook" to "what-are-your-plans"..from "diamonds and golds" to "bracelets and bangles"

Guess, I have really grown up.

Dont know why, we can't have those conversations again, those innocent jealousies that we all grow up with. Some small little things that make you smirk when you are kids and brings a smile when you are adults.

If someone calls her Juhi Chawla now, she will probably laugh it off:)

Right now, this song "Jadoo teree nazar, is growing on me and I have already listened to it, 20 times since past so many hours. And, I am enjoying it like never before.

Had been to India this summer.

Coincidentally, "Hum Hain rahi Pyaar Ke", which happens to be our favourite movie as well, was playing on the TV.

Well, me and her just went to "Cafe Coffee Day" to grab a Latte and spend some quality time, instead:O



Comments on "I love you Tai"

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (4:08 AM) : 

#Czar!

Haan re, smajha mujhe @tai;)

Are my friends present me with casettes even now:)) to make fun of me.They are still in their plastic covers;)

@lullabies..very funny..mein to apne kids ke saath gaoongee:))


#Viks,
Abhi chahiye kya koi shishter;)
Yeay..Backstreet boys are Ewwwww for me as well NOW:))

 

Blogger Phoenix said ... (6:22 AM) : 

sweet

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (7:46 AM) : 

Baby girl, apni sis ki foto bhej! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:51 AM) : 

I like the Juhi Chaywalee the best...that's excellent...lol...or may be Juhi Chav'lee...!!!
Good post
Chetan

 

Blogger Kaala Kavva said ... (8:21 AM) : 

aww... very honest post...
good yaar...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 AM) : 

'Awww'...a totally stereotypical sound that gals here seem to make....makes me mad when all girls make the same sound....please...give it a break!

 

Blogger jeenu said ... (9:44 AM) : 

hey ROS
very sweet post..i used to feel the same way about my elder sister..she was lot prettier than i was ...but after she got married and moved away i missed her soooo much...
cheers jeenu

 

Blogger Nandya said ... (10:52 AM) : 

hmm..touching post...i also love my tai..even though she is a litle spoilt brat...

 

Blogger PuNeEt said ... (12:54 PM) : 

Awww thats so sweet post...
ur sis looks like Juhi... cool
n wat abt u ;-)

some times we do feel like we should never grow up...

n those small n kiddesh things shud alwayz be there :-)

wishing both of u a great bonding for life time

tk cr
Cheers

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (1:38 PM) : 

Older sisters are the best. I dunno how my childhood wud be if it wasn't for my tai

 

Blogger Parth Anand said ... (9:48 PM) : 

what a coincidence...I was unpacking some of my stuff and found the audio cassettes that I had brought from India...some are still unpacked..I havent heard them in 2 years...I don't know what to do with them...dispose??

 

Blogger Bhole said ... (11:13 PM) : 

These days CD's are out....its all mp3's and iPod :)

LOL @ Juhi Chaywalee....you are living upto your pet name ;)

I love my sisters too.

Nice post!

 

Blogger ritzkini said ... (11:47 PM) : 

juhi chaiwaleee !!!
=))
too much tha...poor juhi..oh sorry..poor sis !
=))

 

Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said ... (12:25 AM) : 

I would call her "Juhi Chaywalee" instead.
Hahaha...
Juhi Chawlyaaaa...is something I heard in one marathi movie :)

Well, me and her just went to "Cafe Coffee Day" to grab a Latte and spend some quality time, instead
Memories....memories....and more memories come back when you are miles away from your loved ones.

It was nice to hear about the way you and your "tai" share that close bond among each other. Yes, afta we grow up, there comes a time when conversation suddenly freezes to selective topics only..I miss all those too with ma bro.

The way you described smal small things that you remembered was really nice.

Greetz!!

 

Blogger aria said ... (4:08 AM) : 

Tai is sucha cute word. I'm gonna call my sister tai when she calls me next :)
Very sweet write-up - something I could relate to - totally!
So often we hv seen tht - elder sis are often the prettier lot - had been the case with me too but somehow I wasn't jealous :) probably coz the age difference in my case is so much tht she always treated me like a kid!
I'm found of my cassettes likewise tho I don't play them anymore still they hv tht special charm of childhood.
Again - very nice post

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:19 AM) : 

Gosh, I have ALL my audio casettes too :-). A box full. I still have some of them out, and play it sometimes on my boombox. I am very much primitive :-). Even my car plays audio casette songs. CD player abhi tak aaya nahi hai us mein :-).

I WISH I had an elder sister or brother. I am the elder sis to my darling brother, and I still remember our silly fights when we were both younger. They just bring a smile to our faces and lotsa laughs when we remember those together :-).

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (2:27 PM) : 

#Ganga,
My sister is very mature for her age. She is three years older than I am, but she is like a Mother to me;)
P.S-Nice to know about your siblings:)

#Freako,
Juhi chavlee, tula ani mala samjel:))

#Sash,
Okie, sweetie:)

#Kiddo,
:)

#Z kid,

Ty Ty;)

# Dear Anon,
BTW, to "Awww" is not a "gal" thing:)
P.S- Even on the comment section of this post, Z Exaggerator and Puneet (who are guys) have awed!

So, well you can try and ignore that if that makes you mad.

Take it as a people specific trait, and I give people the liberty to express themselves in the best possible way, that they choose!

#Jeens,
Second you on that one!

#Nandu,

To sudhorfy a brat like you, your tai needs to behave like a brat too:p

#Prady,
OK! so now I would need tips on how to convert those audio tapes to CDs. AS always, I dont know it:p

#Puneet,

Hahaha..I sometimes refuse to grow up:p
Thanks for your wishes, buddy:)
P.S:-Have replied to you about your previous question:)))

#Thanu,

Couldnt agree with you more:)

#Parth,
No!!!!! I will give you my address. ship it to me:)

#Bhole,
Shhhhhhhhhh! mera pet name sabke saamne mat lo:D

#Kini,
Sab poor, mein sabse jyada poor:(

#Arzoon,

Wow, welcome to my "Life":)
Your profile says you are from Pune/Mumbai, no wonder you have heard that before:)
Memories..yep, thats what my blog explanation says too "Memories all the way":) And dont you think, in the end "Buss Yaadein reh jatee hain, chotee chotee baatein reh jatee hai"

Thank you for liking what I have in here:) Time n again, I go down the meory lane:)

#Aria,
Yeah! I like the word "too".Though, being the youngest, amongst the cousins as well, never had anyone who would address me that way:(
Are my Tai is 3 n half years older than I am, so obviously I could be jealous:)
Thanks, girlie:)
BTW, when are you updating your blog??

#Hershey,
Yeah!its fun to be a kid sister, get loads of attention n pampering:)
But, siblings are siblings, whether elder or younger, hai na??:)

 

So you were saying....