Powered by Blogger

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving to remember

Thanksgiving has all always been a wonderful joy with people whom you call "your own"!

Every year the motto has been the same, but the people have changed. I can proudly say, that I have three families here, who are not my own or are not even remotely related to me, but who are not less than a family to me.

Every year, it has been a non-american family, that has hosted the traditional Thanksgiving meal for me.

The very first year in this country, An Iranian Professor hosted it for me. I was totally not aware of the tradition, but I was willing to learn.

So, as always the festival is marked with feast and loads of fun. My professor had a very nice menu consisting of traditional Turkey, Hams, Smashed potatoes and pumpkin pie.

Though, I would have gorged on the feast, if I was a meat-eater. But, the fact that I am a vegeterian, made me relish on potatoes and salad:O

Neverthless, I experienced the most talked of event in America after Christmas.

Well, this year was truly the most memorable of them all.

It was hosted by a Maharashtrian couple over her, who are very close to few of us Grad students.

Well, considering that uncle and Aunty have been living in the US for past 40 years and they are well past 65 years of age. Despite that, they are as Indian as can be. They do not fake the american accent, they do not roll their R's:).

The most striking thing about the couple is the way they guard Indian traditions at the same time being liberal and having a modern outlook. People who have acquired a lot and given a lot, back too. That combination is too rare. They are someone whom anyone can relate to. People to whom you can talk about science, philosophy, literature and voila..they have a huge mansion here. The first floor of their house consists of two rooms full of books. One with all english and other with Marathi books and CDs. Aunty, stil teaches Sanskrit to the little kids and yes! I do attend few classes sometimes:)

So, well they had a Banquet for all of us today. We were in all 60 people!!!!!

I cannot imagine the pains that they have taken to make this "A family reunion"

Aunty, single handedly managed a meal for so many of us. Not to mention we had alteast 20 different dishes to choose from!!!!!!!

Evey family has a history. Every family has certain rules and traditions that they abide to.

In this case, when they got married 35 years back, they had resolved that they would have a traditional meal for people whom they are close to. And that they would observe it every year, regardless of what. As years went by, they came to know a lot more people and with time, the number of guest entries shot to 60 (with obvious subtractions, of course).

They are non meat eaters, and can you imagine she roasts a Turkey only for this special day and which she does not eat. She roasts it because if you are doing something the traditional way, you stick to the traditions. You don't bend them according to your convenience. Since there are many Americans whom she knows and who do not have a family anymore, she does not want to deprive them of a Thanksgiving meal.

Some people are inspiring and she is one amongst them.

Anyhow, so this was a formal meal in the banquet hall of their house.

Man, it was unbelievable and grand.

Apart from the traditional meal we also had Salad, Rice, Cranberry pickle, Green bean casserole, Sprouts. huh!I dont even know half of the dishes names;(

The best course was the dessert.

Cakes and pies with Awesome sounding names:

Here goes:-

1. Death by Chocolate
2. Better than Sex
3.Pumpkin Pie
4. Apple Pie
5. Strawberry Cheese Pudding

I don't know from where people derive such motivation from. But, I was certainly amongst the lucky ones to be invited to it. Of course! felt like a family:) I know this one, will go down the memory lane too:)


Now, my stomach is so damn full that I can easily go without food for next 3 days:O:O

I hope I have gained a few pounds too, thats been my dream, since ages:(

Comments on "Thanksgiving to remember"

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (7:42 PM) : 

Me first!! :D

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (7:44 PM) : 

Hahahah..Look, someone had to be told to, go read it the instant it was published:p

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (7:45 PM) : 

Ok I have read the post now. :P

Man... the menu sounds awesome... the desserts have fundoo names... I remember once I wanted to order a cocktail that had an interesting mix of ingredients... just that the name made it very awkward to order.. imagine saying to the waiter "I'd like to have sex on the beach?"

:O

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (7:46 PM) : 

Idiot I saw this before I saw your mail!!

Some pple jus dun wanna give credit..

:(

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (8:14 PM) : 

#Sash,

Yeah..Though when aunty said "Its better than sex", one person quipped, gotta try before I say anything:O

Hahhaha@ Sex on d beach..Cool, so what did the waiter say "Sure":O

:O
:O

#Sash!

Abe deeya na credit, hazar emails I sent:(..

Aur yeh mere jaise senti marne ki aadat kahan se lagee:D

 

Blogger aria said ... (10:19 PM) : 

I hvnt had anything called "Better than sex" but yup I hv had "Sex on the beach" many times ;)
Its a kewl cocktail .. hehe

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 PM) : 

hahahaa...

*shaking my head with a smile*

Some naughty name-coiners haan!
:-))

Very interesting couple ROS. They sound so perfect...people I'd surely want to get to know.

ROS, have you started rolling the R's yet????
:-) I tend to do that with the Americans, but unintentionally :-))

 

Blogger virdi said ... (1:06 AM) : 

hey I went to a place to have ice cream... the name i saw shocked me "LAST TIME I EVER SAW MY WAIST" full of chocolate... I have never been there ever... ;-)

awesome names... i never knew anything can be better than sex... ;-)

 

Blogger radiohead said ... (1:14 AM) : 

hey nice post. Happy thanks giving to u. And it sounds gud to read this tht people frm this country of mine .. r as gud there as they wud have been here. And they have made us proud.

 

Blogger virdi said ... (1:56 PM) : 

hey did you do the cheaqpu India wala shopping????

 

Blogger Kiran said ... (3:33 PM) : 

Awe @ //if you are doing something the traditional way, you stick to the traditions. You don't bend them according to your convenience//

How much do you weigh now??

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (5:09 PM) : 

Hey Aria,

Hope the pun was not intended..hehhehehe

#Hershey,
Yup!! its all in a name, you see;)
If you meet em, you would know, they are much more interesting in person than on paper:))
Well, I dont roll my R's with my desi junta. In fact, I still talk in typical Mumbai lingo with em,but with my American friends, I control my Rajdhani express speed while talking:))

#Virdi,

hahahha..The chocolate thing that you mentioned, sounds more like a movie ka naam"I know what you did last summers, type;)

#Anuj!

Thanks buddy...Dont worry hum hamar desh ka naam roshan karenge:)

#Vik,
Hmm..You gotto try that to believe that;)

#Virdi,
Updates coming soon. Absolutely kickass shopping:D

#Rik,

I weigh as much as a grasshopper does:D

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (3:34 AM) : 

Prad!!
Hahahah..as long as you have propoer levels of insulin circulating, you need not worry:D

 

Blogger Nandya said ... (11:39 AM) : 

so u back to ur old format...ur new one was nicer...

since its Thanksgiving

thought i should say "Thanks" to everybody..he he he

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (11:42 AM) : 

Nandu!

Welcome back :-)
Are this blogger messed up my good-looking template:( Thats why I changed it, but realized that grey wasnt my color...love my pastel shades:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 AM) : 

Excellent, love it! Liposuction without surgery by estheticians Car dvd player for bmw

 

So you were saying....