Powered by Blogger

Thursday, December 08, 2005

My Poor Princess

My day today.
6:30 AM- My first alarm goes off
6:45 AM- My second alarm goes off
7:00 AM- My third and last alarm goes off.
Snooze, snooze and snooze!
Finally, I curl out from my blanket at 7:30 AM.
First thing that comes out of my mouth, whenever I get late" Oh shit". Such a bad way to start off a day. I had changed it a little bit and practised saying "Aai ga" [Oh mother], but that did not happen today.
Sheesh! had an inspection in the lab at 8:00 AM. I am going to miss it..
7:45 AM- In the shower.
Come out.
Finally, get ready to leave the house at 8:30 AM, after wearing my winter clothes.
Reach my car.
Damn thing does not start!
OMG!
Here another day going down the drain. Mental images of everything that I am missing in the lab comes in front of eyes. Top of that, the guilt of sitting at home on a weekday.
I hate my car. But I love my car.
I hate her only when she breaks down and poor thing is not able to take the intense cold and its battery drains down oh-so-often:( Poor thing, has a new battery and a new alternator. She has been looked at by all the "eligible bachelors" [Read:Mechanics]. Still none understands her.
I practically, know its psychology. I kinda had a deja vu that this was going to happen.
Whenever someone enquires about her, as in "How is your "little girl" doing", the next day she behaves like a vain princess:(
No time for a jump start either.
Think hard.
Finally, I went to the University of Nebraska Campus, which is walkable distance from my place. Even that took me a good half hour today. From there, I could take a bus to my school.
It was 9:15 AM already.
Damn! missed my 9:10 bus.
Next bus: At 9:45 AM.
OK! standing there in the biting cold weather for half an hour did not seem like a good deal.
My thoughts race back to lab and then to my car. Need to do something to fix her.
I do the first thing that comes to my mind.
In a confused state of mind, I start walking from the bus stop.
Totally oblivious of the sorrounding weather and when I realized the cold doesnt seem too cold, I decided to go home.
If I went to school, god knows when I would return and then again, my car will be lurking there and tommorrows day would be screwed too. My day is already screwed up, so let me not waste tommorrows day.
These were my thoughts en route home:
{Oh how I miss the BEST bus route number 313. The one that went from Kurla station to Santacruz. Every time, we saw a bus passing by, another would be on its way. Oh, how I miss the wonderful "Dukkar gadi". Dukkar means a pig, in marathi. This is one peculiar 10 seater hybrid vehicle between a rickshaw and a matador.We went to the college in this vehicle and it cost us mere 5 bucks and college was just 10 minutes away from where I lived. Situation is exactly similar here. My school is just 10 minutes away from where I live here. Neverthless, transportation is a huge problem. No trains, buses or rickshaws here, that are convenient to me. I did not drive a car then, still felt like a princess. Never did I get stranded anywhere. Here, I have a car, still if you dont have a trustworthy car, you better pray each time you start your vehicle in the morning}
Called up a friend of mine, on the way.
Usual conversation.
Him "How many times, have I told you, just buy a new car":O
As if buying a car is like buying eggs and bread and come on, thats the last thing I want to hear today.
Called up my sister and she says "Why do you need a car to go to school?, why can't you just WALK". Well, I can walk 6 miles to and fro but I really dont think with those files and bags and snow,I want to do that. Else, I would become invisible.
Ok, then "Why dont you buy a new car?"
Aah! here we go again!
Ok! fine.Maybe the time has come.
Few tips from my friends. They all know a lot about cars.
"You should buy a Toyota or a Honda. All desis buy those. They are trustworthy and reliable"
{Me}:"But, dude I have a Nissan. That is supposed to be trustworthy too!!!
"But, you should buy a used one. You cant afford a brand new one."
{Me}:- "Of course, I know that too"
"No! there is no point in buying another used car. Why dont you buy a new "Hyundai or a Kia"
"You can get one for 8000$. Pretty Cheap!!!!
{Me}:- "Dont know since when Grad students started finding a car worth 8000$ cheap:O
"No, but you know these Korean cars can't really be trusted on"
{Me}:Aaaghhhhhhhh!Please talk about my existing car! All I need right now, is a jumpstart. We can buy whatever we want provided I move from this place!!!!
Its 4:30 PM now:- My car did not jump start either. Its ready to be towed.

Comments on "My Poor Princess"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:13 PM) : 

Some advice. Get your drained battery fully charged or replaced if its dead.

Next time you park your car at your apt parking lot for the night, open the hood, disconnect the red wire on the battery. Make sure it doesnt touch any metal when you close the hood. Come morning, attach the wire, and start the car. Using a small spanner doesnt take much time and saves all the trouble.

Hope that helps.

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (5:29 PM) : 

Sorry to hear about this. Esp when the weather is all snowy.

Nissans are good too. My Sally I was a Nissan, ran 100,000 miles without any break down.

Like Ashu said, get a new Battery. Then the Korean cars do come with 10 year warranty so its not that bad.

Good luck in the car scenario.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (5:33 PM) : 

#Thanu!

I have 111000 miles in there. I bought it at 100K.
BTW, Who is Ashu??
Plus, I already have changed 5 batteries in the whole year:O Its not the battery:(
Thanks for the luck, girlie:)

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (7:35 PM) : 

ashu is the one who left the comment b4 me.

tu bi na

 

Blogger Keshi said ... (7:42 PM) : 

lol ready to be towed!

Sorry I didnt mean to make fun of ur car :( it was just funny...hehe...

My first car (current car) is a brandnew..I dunno much abt 2nf hand cars and seriously I fear them..hehe only cos Im clueless abt the inside info of a car....

Keshi.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (7:48 PM) : 

#Ashu!

Thanks for the tip!
But the battery is brand new, that I got a week ago..Man! and whole wire thing sounds too much for me to do. Just now I have started handling the jumper cables:O

Wish there was an easy way out!!
P.S: I missed your comment previously. I did not get a notification on my Gmail nor could see it before!!

#Thanu!
Are yaar..I did not get a notification on my Gmail that Ashu has posted nor could see it before, you posted...
Funny, am just seeing his comment now!!

#Keshi
hehehe no re..its sounds more like ready to be eaten:))

I know, there is always an apprehension with "Second hands";)

P.S:-Wanted to post a comment on two of your recent posts but a lot had been said earlier. Am still hoping to be the first someday!!!

 

Blogger Kiran said ... (9:33 PM) : 

// 8000$. Pretty Cheap!!!! AHHH!!!

Me too, need a car.....hehehe
so, whats in your mind now?

 

Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said ... (10:19 PM) : 

whenever I get late" Oh shit".
Same pinch...

NO my first words are not SAME PINCH when Im late...they are OH SHIT!!
:)

how I miss the wonderful "Dukkar gadi".
Dukkar...hehehe..
Yeah..I remember bus no 313...I used to travel to Kalina to check ma semester result...

My car did not jump start either. Its ready to be towed.
awwww...now thts sad to hear :(

Hope the car problem is fixed during the weekend and you dont end up waking up saying OH SHIT :)

Greetz!!

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (11:48 PM) : 

#Rik!
Pata nahi.Kal sochega!

#Arzoon,
Sheesh! man thats awesome...same pinch! lets see where else we have similar habits:))

Like you, atleast I dont wanna have a Dinosuar as a pet:O

Hmm at 313:) I was actually having a discussion with Puneet whether it was 313 or 319!

I hope so too, that my car starts.If it does..I will present you with one Dino and One GF straight from Mars:P

 

Blogger PuNeEt said ... (11:58 PM) : 

lolzzz
thatz a sweet post...

Howz ur Poor Princess now...
lemmed advise u... buy a bike...
am sure its cheap and it wont do such natak also...

well ur morning schedule of 6.30 to 7.30 is same as mine... i do the same thing between 7.30 to 8.30 lolzzzz

Dukkar Gadi... lolzzz
I used to take a diff one to go to Andheri E...

have fun
Cheers

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (12:05 AM) : 

#Pooo,
Meree gadi bandh hai and you say it "SWEET"
Maar chahiye kya tujhe:O

Bike man! No way..I probaly wont be capable of driving a vehicle if I drive a bike in this country in this season:O

Ram naam satt ho jaayega mera!!
Chal you have fun today.

8:30 ko you get up. What time do you reach office:p

 

Blogger virdi said ... (12:14 AM) : 

you are studying in a school??? hahahahahaha... kiddo...

and and and its every where on earth... you ask someone for a lift all you get is Gyan Gyan and more Gyan... no one gives you a lift...

hey why not buy a bi-cycle if your school is so close to your house???

V..

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (12:19 AM) : 

#Virdi,
Sayesha ne cake me Rum daalke deeya kya? Just now I gave gyaan to Puneet about the cold. Freaking minus 10 F mein U want me ride a bicycle?:O
Gyaan Gyaan thts all I am getting even now!!

Now it is confirmed..You hate me:((

 

Blogger Kaala Kavva said ... (12:23 AM) : 

My advice!
Sunrays! Get a new car!

whats 8000 bucks ??
huh!

bechaari, car kee maari, tujhe chaheye 15-20 bottles sinkaari.
ehehehe

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (12:25 AM) : 

#Z Kid!
Love the way you call "Sunrays"

And mujhe nahi huee koi bemaree,
na hi lagee koi chingaree
Ki peeon mein sinkari

Hahahahha.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (12:26 AM) : 

#Z,
8000 bucks! means 8000 dollars!

 

Blogger Kaala Kavva said ... (1:08 AM) : 

arre dollar to richie rich ke kutte ka naam hai!

you need 8000 dogs ?????

Tujhe nahi beemaari
Par tu thehri bechaari
Open your dawaee ke almaaree
and drink 5 bottles of sinkaaree
sinkaare is not for beemaaree
its for the tired sunrays hamaree.

 

Blogger PuNeEt said ... (7:05 AM) : 

ooyee...
byke is fun yaar...
else drive bicycle ;-)

i get up betwen 8.8.30 and reach office by 10-10.15 ;-)
smart na
lolzzzz

take care... enjoy ur day...
hope ure princess is fine now :-)

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (8:35 AM) : 

Sayesha sings a hindi oldie for ROS...

Chal aa re dhakka maar
Band hai motor car!


HAHAHAHA! :D

Ooops... sorry! :P

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (8:58 AM) : 

#Z kid,

Baukhla gaya hai tu.Come out of your cartoon ke duniya:O
Nice poem, Z:) I cant match that!!

#Poo,
10:00 :O Thats LATE;)

Princess hamaraee is at her sasural. Hope they treat her well:(

#Sash!
E...Dhakke se nahi chalti hamaree gadi,
Woh hai Rampyaari hamaaree:p

Chal atee kya terea Inga minga Singapore se dhakka marneko:))

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 AM) : 

Hey ROS, sorry about that. It feels like a huge blow when one's mode of transport breaks down. I cannot understand cars! Total dumbo in it :-). I feel cars are very complex. Just like the human body. A good, trustworthy mechanic, is such a boon. Hope the problem gets fixed ROS. Maybe ask someone from work, or a Prof to recommend a good mechanic. They might know someone who is good.

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (2:33 PM) : 

So gadi ka kya kua? Hope all is well

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (2:42 PM) : 

#hershey!

Haan yaar! I have so much experience with car problems, that my profs ask me where to go. My mechanic is such a nice guy that so far I have sent 10 people to him.He presented me with a couch:O


#Viks!

I suppose that was meant to be a joke:p
When people find sunny california, HOT...mmmmmm...

#Thanu!

Gadi is towed and lies with the mechanic. Weekend is nice warm and sunny with 45 F and I will be left without a car. Stupid AAA guys came at 9:00 PM:(

 

Blogger pingoo said ... (7:31 PM) : 

Car problems eh ? :) Yaar itne batteries badal diya tumne :O..hope it gets well soon. I know, snow main it must be like hell. Howizz it doing now ? One of my friends has a Nissan and it has more than 250k miles (yes, I said two five zero k !) and it zips around the town like anything !

Came here from Sayesha's blog..nice :).

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (8:18 PM) : 

Hi Pingoo:)

Welcome to my "Life"but I dont see your profile:(

Are I know, my roomie has Nissan too..170K miles hain, kabhi bimar nahi hotee:(((

Sayesha ke blog se, cool:) Aate rahiye..would like your presence here:)

 

So you were saying....