Powered by Blogger

Friday, January 13, 2006

Festival Trivia

14th Jan marks to festival of "Makar Sankranti" and "Pongal"

Here is a trivia about me. Though, I am a Maharashtrian by birth and its my mother tongue as well. My parents originally grew up in the South. Thats why, I consider "Pol-bhaji"and "Rasam-Sambar" both as my staple diet:D

Having said that, this was the only festival that we celebrated in both ways. Most because, I love "Pongal"[A delicacy, made out of rice and dal]





And "Tilgul"[Sesame laddos] equally.

Somehow, saying 'Tilgul ghya ani god god bola"[Which means, take this laddos and converse sweetly with me] assumed an entirely different dimension.
When, I was in the 4th standard, there was this girl Harsha in my class. She had an older sister who was in the same class as my elder sister. They were not in very good terms in school and somehow me and Harsha were influenced by the not-so-good-relationship between my sister and hers. So even, we did not try on being friends.
One fine day, she came up to me with this tilgul and said those words to me. I dont know, but since then we became friends.
Some times, some festivals just act as a cement.
Anyhow, that was that! For me, each festival means something that I try to relate to some events that have changed my life.
For one Sankranti, follows my sister's birthday on 13th, so it called for two celebrations.
Anyhow, just some trivia about this festival, I guess people might already know, but out of that one thing I just read yesterday was,
1. Its the only Hindu festival which falls on the same date every year.
2. About color black which is supposed to be not-so-auspicious color: I don't know how much of this is true. But, the thinking is that, married women are not allowed to wear any attire that has the color black, on any festival. But, this is the only festival, when a married woman is presented with a "Black saree" for her first Sankranti after marriage! The reason, I remember this very well is coz of my sister, as always:) When mom did not allow us to wear black clothes on festivals, she would retort back by saying, atleast after marriage, I would have the privelege of wearing a black saree on this day:))
Anyhow, just wanted to share one of experiences!

Comments on "Festival Trivia"

 

Blogger The Individualist said ... (10:36 PM) : 

Pongal being the only Hindu festival that falls on the same day every year made for interesting trivia. And yes, festivals serving as fodder for the revival of reminiscences is one of it's primary assets, surely. Interesting. All the more reason as I don't really like to celebrate them. Not the memories. The festivals. Anyway, made for an interesting read.

 

Blogger Shriedhar said ... (8:28 AM) : 

Hi..

happy sankranthi !

invite u to my blog...
btw,i wrote a mahaaa long post (posibly the longest:) ) .
u may like it..

PS: all funlovers are WELCOME to my blog.

 

Blogger radiohead said ... (11:04 AM) : 

hey happy SANKRAT & PONGAL deez .

hope u had a great time . And happy LOHRI as well .

and nice exp tht u shared .

so jst chilaax & have fun . shyd kal lohri ki dance party ho ... hehe ...main to chal maje karne .. u enjy 2 .

tc .

 

Blogger Ujwal said ... (12:27 PM) : 

hey i am a fan of this festival as well. 6-7 yrs of my childhood were spent in Nagpur...we used to fly kites every evening for 2-3 hrs...and that was real fun. And offcourse tilgul laddos and gulachya polya are yummy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:44 AM) : 

Tilache laddoo :)))

barech khatoy aajkal but trying to have them less coz .. u know why :)

whnevr i wear black i thnk god (tht means almost everyday) tht i was not born as a gal .. black is my fav colour .. cant live without it

but these orthodox tradns na.. kahihi astat .. baykani kay chuk keli ki black nahi ghalyche

 

Blogger Jagan said ... (10:55 AM) : 

where is the foto of the pongal u promised ? its missing :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 PM) : 

Keep up the good work sociology of sport + dev laptop case

 

So you were saying....