Powered by Blogger

Friday, February 03, 2006

Its just a name

Ha! Sayesha we both rock yaar. Had this post written in bits and pieces in my draft folders and is ready to be posted now!
My cousin is pregnant and just like any othe pregnancy, deciding a name is the most exciting part.
Naah! dont worry me not writing a letter to the boy, Sayesha:P
So, basically everyone in my cousins's house has a name starting with the letter "Sh"
In fact, even her bhabhi's have their names beginning with Sh..
She is going to be a mother of a baby boy and we were thinking of coming up with names that are not complicated and are modern.
Aryan is already taken by my nephew:P
So there arent many nice names around:)) Ok..there are a few...
So well, I have this notion that just like various gift options, even when it comes to names you have far more varities for baby girls.
For example: If you want something really traditional, a girl can have a name "Aishwarya" which is sooooo common in India..
Want to make it sound modern-n comes Ash and if you want that to be more family-oriented..everyone will start calling her "Aishu"
In America, I know 3 girls whose names are "Esha" or "Isha" all of them play with each other and it gets confusing when they are together. So I call them Isha 1, 2 and 3
Third most common name being "Riya" or "Ria"
Neverthless, girl names are still more interesting..Ok guys! am sorry but accept it...girls always have more options:P
So I tried to ask my "Chatur chaar" as to what names they can come up with.
Hahaha..only Vikram can come up with a name like "Speilberg", "Rafasti Gulfut",
And only Virdi can come up with names such as "Chima Lal Charlie" but he also suggested a name "Akhilesh"
Overall, Sayesha had good names to come up with, like "Ujwal, Eshan and Pranav"
And I know three people with that name.
Waise, I had few suggestions too. Names that sound modern and which are easy on american tongues as well and are not very common. In anyways if you keep a centimeter length name it gets abbreviated.
Rohit, Rahul, Anand are quite common and short n sweet too. But, kinda overused in Bollywood.
Nikhil, Aditya and Amit are extremely common marathi names.
Neel being one.But my son is going to be called "Neel" if and when and whether I have a guy child is beyond discussion over here:D Then comes "Pradyot", "Aarush" and "Ayush"
Ya, they would say "Whats in a name"? But isnt your name your "identity"?
And I am still hoping to come across a name which we can possibly address the little one as.
Any suggestions??

Comments on "Its just a name"

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (10:38 AM) : 

Rigved, Atharva, Kaiwalya, Shuanak.. some of the different names of my frnds :)

n gals.. cant think of a different name.. all sound common

 

Blogger Neha Sinha said ... (10:45 AM) : 

amitanshu!?! ummm...aur pata nahi.

my nick name was neha and skul name 'apurwa'when i was in nursery but i hated this name-'apurwa'. finally i got that name erased from my school register and had one final name "neha" :D ...which unfortunately is so common :(((((

fir bhi i love my name.pucho kyun?...coz neha implies to love :D

so whatever name u keep..it must sound lovely like mine's ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 AM) : 

Know what? Though I didn't get an idea for a name, but I had a good realization. Coming up with good names is very difficult, and that's why I guess, he got annoyed thinking of names for all his characters and said "What's there in a name"!

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (11:33 AM) : 

#Ganga,
Thats an interesting read..and I agree with everything you said there. Thats why Aarush is a name I selected..

#Sudeep,

Atharwa we were discussing and she even made an American friend of hers to prounounce it!!
p.S: teechya swathayacha bhaachyacha naav Shaunak aahe.
[Her own nephew's name is Shaunak]
Rigved is a nice name!

#Pandoraji,
Amitanshul..Bapre..bahut bada hai:O
I love that name Apurwa...but Neha sounds like a name that suits someone who is kid and sweet and delicate!
Imagine..when you have grandchildren..they will call you Neha dadi..tab tum change kar lena to Apurwa=))

SS--
Welcome!
Good one at that:))

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (12:19 PM) : 

Anirud and Abinav my 2 fav names... u are free to use them...

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (12:22 PM) : 

I like Sakeet (Sakith) too

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM) : 

What about Sahil??

 

Blogger R said ... (1:11 PM) : 

Rohit, Rahul, Anand are quite common and short n sweet too. But, kinda overused in Bollywood.

HMPH! I know. Losers. Rohit is so bloody common now. What the...

Anyways, what about Arjun?! :D Anchal?
Keshava?
Pratap?

Ok.. That's enough.. :P

 

Blogger R said ... (1:14 PM) : 

And, don't use Vikram.

Muahhhaahhhhhhaaaa!

PS: Vikram, just kidding man.. Don't abuse!

 

Blogger R said ... (1:18 PM) : 

hey ROS.. telepathy?! yup, big time!

 

Blogger The Girl Who Sold The World said ... (4:17 PM) : 

What's in a name?! Ask a poor soul like me! My name's Navdeep...and I've never heard of another girl with the same name! People presume that I'm a guy whenever they hear it...HMPH!
As for names, I've a handful of them:
Karan? Arjun? (MOVIE! Haha) Nakul? (Mahabhaaaaarat...!) Anupam? Sahil? Ankit? Anchit? Archit? Sanchit? Gaurav? Vaibhav? Chetan? Mayank? Ankur? Neyhal? Vikas? Vivek? Prashant? Nishant? Nitin (it's a palindrome :D)? Manav? Madhur? Aditya? Vipul? Mayur?

Bas...thak gayi. LOL...was bored and didn't have anything else to do...sorry for the waste of space. ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:20 PM) : 

Hmm..thoda research karna padega to get a nice, modern and a lil uncommon name for a boy...

When's the baby due?

Trying to think of some names right now....
how about Raunak (could also be a girls name I think). And although Raj is a REALLY common name, I think it will never go outta style. I like it :-). One of my friends names is Akshat, and I like that name very much too. It's not very common, I think. And a lil...twist to Akshat.....Akshar! :) Shall let you know, agar koi aur achcha naam strike kiya toh :-).

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (7:31 PM) : 

Arjun sounds good! Is it a common name in India??

Hey, I knew a dude called 'Pratyush'. Cool name I thought! :)

 

Blogger Koi Pahailee said ... (2:45 PM) : 

now this is strange
i honestly believe that i did leave a comment on this one...many hrs ago
and its not there...may be never pressed the final BLUE button.
anyways, since i have no idea about latest Indian names, i can tell u the names which i like (from famous bollywood movies):)
- Raj (of Simran...just kidding)
but seriously
- Dev, Aday?, vikram, rohan
there was a movie DUM of vivek obroi...i just forgot the name of vivek's role...it was cool too.

and with Sh...well..SHAKkER (n Mover) :P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 PM) : 

Rang De Bansati is awesome. I recommend every youngster to watch it.

Miss there is no housefull for the movie. I watched it before you :) 7:30 pm show. I saw you in theater, blue suit rite?

 

Blogger virdi said ... (12:51 AM) : 

I gave you some 1000 names from A to Z and you didnt like any...

V..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 AM) : 

you could check out behindthename.com for suggestions

 

Blogger PuNeEt said ... (1:31 AM) : 

oooh names
thats a difficult pick...

my cousin in US... her son is named Ishaan (or Eshaan)

neways I still hav a long way to go and with frnds like u to advise I need not worry ;-)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (1:34 AM) : 

#Thanu
Anirudh-cousin ka naam:O

#Ankur,
Sahil bataya but she has reservations@

#Rohit,
Sab losers
Anchal sounds like a girls name yaar!
and Vikram is a nice name!!

#The girl,
Navdeep to sahi naam hai yaar!
I know of a girl named Navdeep with a long hair. Nice Punjabi kudi!
Wow..tere paas to databse hai yaar!!
TOO GOOD!
Tere bacchon ki tayaree already ho gayee!!

#Hershey,
bachha coming in March first wk.
She has the name Raunak in her list:)

#sash,
dekh tera comment miss nahi kiya, Missie:)
Arjun isnt a common name but she has a wierd funda...doesnt want any name related to mahabharat:O

#Viks,
Hahahah..Svikram is cool:P

#Koi Paheli,
Yeay! I did have your comment in my gmail but did not see it on my blog;O
Rohan is nice and modern..Hmmm

#Ankur
HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WAS ME??
AND I was wearing a blue salwar kurta!!!!!
Where were you and how are you so sure that it was me?? I have neveer put my picture on blogs anytime!!!!
BTW, there was no 7:30 ka show before and they added it coz so many ppl could not be accomodated in 2 shows!!!

Jaldi reply maar.

#Virdi,
1000 is an exageeration:P
Waise, mera baby hoga tab tera list repeat kar:)

#Anon~
Wow..thats something..will keep it for future reference as well;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 AM) : 

//HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WAS ME??//
I have got that talent :) Yeah I know you were in Blue salwar n white dupatta..

//BTW, there was no 7:30 ka show before and they added it coz so many ppl could not be accomodated in 2 shows!!!//

Ok maan liya omaha mein Indians bhi rahate hai :)

Btw, how was the movie? After the movie I was feeling what I am doing in US. This life is not worth :(

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (2:33 AM) : 

#Ankur,
hey yaar gimme a better answer!

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (2:34 AM) : 

You've got talent does not mean you would be able to indentify a blogger amongst crowd full of ppl..unless you were with one of my friends;O

 

Blogger R said ... (2:36 AM) : 

HMPH! What about 'Asheeth'..

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (2:36 AM) : 

Movie rocked real good..A post in making..tab padh lena..pehle mere sawal ka seedha answer de..Kyunki maine tujhe nahi dekha..nahi I know how you look!!

 

Blogger R said ... (2:37 AM) : 

oh.. people spotting you in theatres! awesome! i love bumping into people when i'm out.. :P

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (2:41 AM) : 

#Rohit,
Oye nahi..I love bumping into people too..I wasnt with someone with whom I should not be seen with;)
But, the concern here is..one person exactly knows that it was me and what i wore and the other person was oblivious of sorroundings! Being a scientist, I obviously am curious!

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (2:43 AM) : 

#Poo bear!
Sorry missed your comment! Eshan is a nice name too..cool!
Aure tere bacche kaa naam hum sochenge tu tension mat le:)

#Rohit,
Missed your previous comment too...
Aseeth-sounds like fusion between Ajit+ashish=))

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:45 AM) : 

hi Rays,
a very nice blog!!First of all congratulations to u n ur family!!"A baby brings many blessings...n u'll hav plenty of sleepless nights to count them:-p"!!
well ..the name i lik is "SHUBHAM" n it obeys the "SH" fact rule!!!..sum othr names may b-"shivansh,akhil,yathaarth,ritwik,shrey,pratik,tarun,tapan,
nishchay,vaibhav,bhaanu,krish,saksham,sarthak,
samarth,anuj,amar..etc etc etc.Do let me know if u lik any of them!!!..congrats once again!!

 

Blogger The Girl Who Sold The World said ... (4:23 AM) : 

tere paas to databse hai yaar!!
Haha...actually, I listed down the names of all the guys I know...lol. No effort at all. 8 aur yaad aaye. List kar hee deti hoon:
Sanchai, Shashank, Sushant, Vipin, Uday, Udit, Mukul, Namit, Avik.

I know of a girl named Navdeep with a long hair.
COOOL!!! Finally! Another Navdeep! :D But I've short hair. So, I'm still unique. :P Hehe.

Tere bacchon ki tayaree already ho gayee!!
HAHAHAHA. Kyun kissi ki buri kismat ke baare mein sochna? Mere bacche? Bechaare... :P

Oh and OF COURSE, Vikram or rather, S. Vikram is also a nice name. :P
(I didn't say it of my own volition. Vikram threatened me with a gun)

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (6:37 AM) : 

//I know of a girl named Navdeep with a long hair.

A long hair?? Isn't that bad news? :O

 

Blogger The Girl Who Sold The World said ... (6:47 AM) : 

HAHAHA! Areey haan! I didn't notice it! Lol...Sayesha has a great observational skills. :P

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (1:11 PM) : 

#Anon,
Thanks! It almost sounds like I am having a baccha;D
I will let you guys know what name they finally pick!

#The Girl,
HAHAHAHAH:D
Vikram bacche ko hadkata hai..Hmphhh...

#Sash,
Lambe baaloan wali ladki..Hehehehehe..

 

Blogger Ujwal said ... (12:17 PM) : 

Hey kavita, How is Parth as a name. Its the second name of Arjun. Parth sounds both traditional and cool! :)
thanks for mentioning my name in the blog :))

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:43 AM) : 

Hey! I know a 'Sh' family. The sons are called Shashank and Shaurya... both sound relatively modern and easy to pronounce ('Shawshank' and 'Sorry ya' :P)

 

Blogger Jagan said ... (4:23 AM) : 

did anyone suggest shravan ? u may also try sharukh tho ;-)

 

So you were saying....