Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Tadpoles or frogs

[The title has nothing to do with the contents "superficially"]

I was in the 6th standard in school.

This was a very special year of my school. For one reason. There was this guy in my class named "S."

We weren't the greatest of friends. But, he made quite an effect on me while in school.

I was amongst the top rankers in the class. By "top ranker" I mean, who was always second in the class.

The number two has been quite memorable for me in terms of experience.

My birthdate being the second. I am the second daughter. Plus, I never awed for the first spot ever. I was pretty contented enjoying the second place. Not being overly ambitious. That made me the 'second best' in class.

In my 6th grade, I got really close to being the first. It was mt most hated subject "Maths"

I scored some 32 marks out of 40 in that class. "S" who was always the first in the class, was pretty taken aback, coz he made 31 in that class. Which was going to put him behind me in the class.

The guy asked me for my paper. Being the pretty simpleton girl, I handed over the paper for him to see. He went through my paper. Next what I see, is him and the teacher talking and discussing something looking at my paper. Only to realize, that the teacher accidentally gave me 'ONE' extra point and he noticed that. After brought to notice, teacher instead of slapping him, deducted my extra point. Again, I landed with the second slot.

That year, I cried like never before. So close-yet-so-far.

Its OK, if I never got close to that. I never wanted to be there. But, after enjoying my 5 seconds of happiness, this was something that was totally a setback for a little child.

I went home and cribbed about it to my mom. She only said, you should never have let the guy take a look at your paper. Dont trust people too much!

People always learn from their mistakes. If you repeat those again you are only foolish.
There were this Bong kids who went to school with us. Whenever we asked them during exam "Kitna padhke hua"(how much did u study)? They would just reply "Kuch bhi nahi"(nothing). And then, they would always top the class.

I never understood their attitude and for the lack of words, I still do not.

Whats behind all the hush-hush when it comes to academia?

No matter what, I cannot get your grey cells and top the class, if I do not have the aptitude.

Mom always used to say "Vidya (Knowledge) only increases if you share it"

I never forget that. Even if someone asks me for something that I am not aware of, I use few resources to check it out and help in some ways. I do not think its right for me to blatantly refuse saying "Go figure it out yourself"

That was then, when peer pressure wasnt too high. Plus, we were kids. Always knew how to patch up.

Wonder how 25 year olds still believe in keeping things under wraps.

Somehow, people refuse to grow up. or maybe I am not fit for the modern day competitive world:)



Comments on "Tadpoles or frogs"

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (6:50 PM) : 

Me too alwaz 2nd rank...just like u I was very content abt being 2nd.

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (8:43 PM) : 

Hehehe... I was the first ranker gal in school (even tho Thanu took my rank on this post), but please don't hate me ROS, I never did any of those underhand lowly things! :D

But I did notice the paranoia in university, especially amongst the engg students - kisne kitna padh liya, kaun sa book khareed liya, kaun se extra questions solve kar liya, kis prof se baat kar li... OFFO!! :/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:18 AM) : 

I got the title... I got it! Eureka!

 

Blogger Shreyas said ... (6:43 AM) : 

insecurity is one of the biggest curses of human kind... sum r insecure abt lov, sum religion, sum jobs, sum studies, sum frds and relatives..chalta hai... one shudnt change his / her way of life for the insecure lot...

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:33 AM) : 

#Thanu,
:)

#Sash,
I know you wont do all those lowly things. Coz you are far more mature than those 'tadpoles';)
//kis prof se baat kar li... //
How true!

#Prad,
Thakur itne din baad..aur woh bhi Archimedes style:O

#Shreyas,
Well, I call those people not insecure, but "fiercely competitive"

 

Blogger Abhishek Upadhyay said ... (3:42 AM) : 

Hmm,That was really bad.
Something similar happened in my school.A guy took answer paper(obviously of his contemporary) of his friend and went to teacher to show that she has given correct tick mark for wrong answer.Teacher saw that(she was not like ur teacher...unfortunately) and slapped the guy who brought the answer paper of his friend.And did not deduct the mark.

......I was that great bad kid.

Regards

PS: I am not that bad now....really...aai shapath.

 

Blogger Shreyas said ... (4:27 AM) : 

hmm fiercely competitive acc to me = work hardest u can; go tat xtra mile to improve areas whr u lacked in and try ur best to win... if u dont , go up to ur competitor and shake hands and say well done mate...

insecure= try xtra hard for urself and make sure sumhow u go one up; by hook or crook on ur competition..

fiercely competitive nature gives the world Tiger Woods or Schumacher or Carl Lewis..

insecure ppl give to the world Ben Johnson or Shahid Afridi

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (11:03 AM) : 

I am not fit for the modern day competitive world
i too think tht way sometimes..

in the company ppl just go hush 'bout wht they r doing or learning a new tool... fearing ki if someone else learns it he/she will climb higher than them

so now i have stopped learning..lol.. kidding but kharach dokyat jaatat asle prani

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (11:05 AM) : 

n why will the madam slap tht guy?? marks toh kam hone hi the..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:26 AM) : 

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:05 AM) : 

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 PM) : 

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Computer networking voice over ip Kim possibles hentais Order phendimetrazine brand on line l&l systems inc. vacuum cleaner store Osi ovens self penis enlargment dodge dakota r 2003 dodge dakota r ionamin Subaru twi maroon 5 t shirt ionamin cheap ionamin online List of laptop bag brands Washington winning numbers for lotto Forex+robot+trading phentermine belgique ionamin achat Treat+for+erectile+dysfunction How long will it take to lose weight ionamin witout perscription ionamin+forte ionamin fitnes

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:40 AM) : 

This is very interesting site... » »

 

So you were saying....