Powered by Blogger

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Of having contacts and feeling disconnected

I was returning home last at night 1:30

It was an empty road with only two cars. Mine and that of my friends. Who was only driving ahead of me to take me to an intersection from where she was to continue on her way further. At this time, the song from Green day
"I walk an empty street" was just ringing in my head.
I walk a lonely road
The only one that I have ever known
Don't know where it goes
But it's home to me and I walk alone

It was a long drive from my home and just like always i flipped my phone and glanced through my "Recent calls history" to dial-a-friend.

And let me take you through my current bizarre state of mind.

These days I have started filtering my calls. I answer the phone only when I want to and if I want to.

India calls do not fall into this "filter"

Sometimes, I don't return calls for days.

No, I am not acting pricey but its just that I dont think I have that motivation to talk to friends with whom I would rather not talk to at that time.

And, thankfully my friends are supportive of that whimisical mood of mine, hoping that it would not last too long:)

In my phone, I have a total of 110 'contacts" including the;

  • 'Miscellaneous" people whom you call upon to 'fix' your problems..such as the landlord, insurance company, the AAA or the DVD rental place or your travel agent!
  • And then there are some whom you hear from once in 6 months or so. Some who aren't really your friends and who call on you ONLY when they need a ride to the nearby grocery store. Man! be selfish, but atleast be diplomatic about it;)
  • Some who the moment they call, you hit the "END"button of your cell phone, mainly because you need to be in a certain mood to talk to them, or maybe theyr touch that wrong nerve (though, in my case there are hardly anyone with whom I am tempted to behave in this manner)
  • Then there are some whose numbers are imprinted in your memory in this manner, that you don't really need to save their number in your phonebook
  • And then there are your "Speed dial"friends. I have only 6 very close friends who are on my speed dial
  • And then there are some with whom you end up just "hmmming"most of the times. I don't know why, but conversations just dont' go anywhere beyond hmming in such cases
  • Some (read Indian) whom you happen to meet at the grocery store. End up conversing and ultimately exchanging phone numbers. But later, you never end up calling and they never do either. It has happened with me once, when I met someone named "Pooja" at Wal-Mart and unfortunately I stored her name as just Pooja only to realize that I have 6 other friends named Pooja, adding to my confusion. Espeically, coz I dont remember phone numbers.
  • And then there are some who don't even get to your 'list of contacts'. Don't ask me why. I am generally very frugal when it comes to storing numbers and avoid cluttering my phonebook;) Coz once in the phonebook, its hard to erase the contact
  • And those people who are in the Recent call history are the ones with whom I can talk to at any point of time. And generally, these days..its only them that I talk to and can talk for hours

And some with whom conversations seem to continue forever and you are still left wondering, whether it would last forever.........
[Don't you sometimes think, that this tiny piece of gadget is indeed your lifeline??]

Comments on "Of having contacts and feeling disconnected"

 

Blogger s said ... (3:03 AM) : 

*67 is my fav prank.
alter phonebook entries of ur pals whose cells are just hanging around by taking a random entry and adding the *67 in front of their numbers..... poor pals .. dont get to know whose calling whom ..
heeheheh...

 

Blogger virdi said ... (6:13 AM) : 

hahahaha... I clicked on coments and out popped a window saying "AWESOME YOU ROCK!!!"

I loved that...

NBow let me read the post..

The new screen looks great... :-)

V..

 

Blogger ritzkini said ... (10:12 AM) : 

:O
on the template change !
And the javascript prompt !
Awesome,you rock ! to you too !
:D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:58 AM) : 

and then there are those, with whom you would ather talk and keep talking always and next thing you realize..."nah....not worth it....rather avoid this one"....happens lifes is like this...

 

Blogger R said ... (12:38 PM) : 

I LOVE GREEN DAY!


And I thought I was the only one who has put in various callers in various categories! Rock on!

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (6:46 PM) : 

#S,
Hehhehee..dont you get peetoed for that:D Am sure Bapat must be whacking you real hard for that;)

#Popo,
S is worthy of that appreciation for that..he gave me that template code:)

#Kini,
S rocks:D Naheeto mein and HTML..Muhahahahahhaa...:D

#Someone whom you rather forget...
Well ppl are not that easy to forget. And in anwyays, like I said, friends always understand and if one hasnt been a friend enuf he will certainly think in those lines...
U know friendship is the most coomonly used term but very rarely understood too..Think about it..

#Rohit,
Hehehehe...there are many you think alike:)

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (11:50 PM) : 

I rock? Arre wah! :D

 

Blogger The Girl Who Sold The World said ... (1:42 AM) : 

Phone is THE bestestest invention ever! YES. No arguments over it. There's nothing like a telephone. Hail Graham Bell (or whosoever is said to have conceived this idea before :P).

In my contact list, currently, there're just 8 people: mom, dad, 3 friends and 3 cousins. These are the only people I feel like talking to (or need to talk to during emergencies, that is, mom-dad. :P) I keep on adding/deleting other numbers of whim. I'd end up getting too confused with a gazillion contacts in the list. :|

And yes, yes, I ROCK. I know. Thankies for confirming it. ;)

 

Blogger R said ... (3:01 AM) : 

Awesome, you rock!

 

Blogger Apy said ... (3:39 AM) : 

/*Coz once in the phonebook, its hard to erase the contact*/

agree with you... totally.. i start the erasing part only when my phone starts to scream ,"Dude!!... U ARE LOW ON MEMORY"

 

Blogger RP said ... (4:45 AM) : 

Don't you sometimes think, that this tiny piece of gadget is indeed your lifeline??
Yep. Many times. Itz bizzare. H quickly we become addict to this and h quickly it bcom from integral part life to life itself. I hate it. But cannot do without it. :-)

 

Blogger RP said ... (4:46 AM) : 

RoS, I liked this "Awesome! You Rock" pop-up that comes along. How did ye do it?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:48 AM) : 

>> Man! be selfish, but atleast be diplomatic about it;)
Somehow I dont quite agree...I feel diplomacy is a euphimism for hypocrisy. Dont u think? I mean why shower with niceties that aren't heartfelt? Be selfish, but at least be honest about it ;)

>> And then there are some who don't even get to your 'list of contacts'
Wonder why? the people who are in the inner circle wouldnt even have to be on the list..one would have called them so many times that u would be able the rattle off their number in sleep..Its those who bother u who need to be on it..u shud know when to hit the end button :)

 

Blogger aria said ... (8:09 AM) : 

I can't erase any number - even if my frnds change their numbers - I store the new number as #2 #3 n so on. Last week .. I called up a pal on his discarded number by mistake - only to find his number was recycled to some1 else n now tht chap keeps calling me up every now n then .. lol
Yup .. its tough to imagine - how I ever survived without my cell.
PS - Nice new template .. n yes .. lets rock together :)

 

Blogger t said ... (8:42 AM) : 

hey ros!!!
jhakkkas pop up!!!

achha sun, u called me "trups" na whn u answered my comments on ur prev posts... i liked it yaar :) ... "trups" was what my frens used to call me in college n all... somewhr along the way someone changed it... but i never really liked trupsster... so now me changed it back to "trups"... a small step to be the same ol' gal... (dont we all want to go back in time and be as we were once??... juss a random thot :) )
thanks ros!!! >:D<

and yes, u rockkkkkk!!!
so do i so do i!!!!! :D

 

Blogger Shobana said ... (9:08 AM) : 

cool new look! i think i want to revamp too now.. have been to a lot of sites today and everyone seems to have done some tinkering with their blog:)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (11:13 AM) : 

#Sash,
Yes, you patthar:D

#The Pretty Girl;)

Hitler ki Pujaran:P
Wow jist 8??cool..heheheh when I was your age, I did not even have a cell fone:P
And yes even you a patthar:P

#Moonwalker,
Hhahahaha...I rock coz of my thoughts or coz of my template:P:P

#Apy,
Hehhehe..are...my phone has so far never squealed:)))

#Rp,
True:) and are, I dont know how I did that.Please ask S..there is no orignality from my side as far as template is concerned...Heheheheh

 

Blogger The Girl Who Sold The World said ... (2:13 PM) : 

Hitler ki Pujaran? :O Yeh kaise pata chala? Aur I just like his military skills...racist ideas nahin. ;)
And aapke zamaane mein toh cell phones were such a rarity. Puraani baatein. :P
And I'm a patthar....precious patthar. Muahaha.

 

Blogger Shreyas said ... (12:29 AM) : 

aww.. one of the cutest things i have read for some time.. totally fell in love with the article and person who wrote it.. very honest.. the honesty and personal touch shines thru...

 

Blogger Saggy said ... (1:30 AM) : 

I clicked on coments and out popped a window saying "AWESOME YOU ROCK!!!"

I liked that...

BTW, tula kay zale aahe nakki?
Looking sad...

Cheers,
Saggy

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (1:41 AM) : 

# Anon,

//be honest but be selfish about it//
True..that sounds correct!

Yeay thats right too. But, I havent mentioned..I am very bad at remembering numbers. Apart from the numbers in india, where thankfully I did not have a cell fone, I can dial those even without thinking. But somehow, in US I just remember 2 fone numbers including mine;) and I do know when the hit END

#Aria,
//only to find his number was recycled to some1 else n now tht chap keeps calling me up every now n then .. lol//
Heheheheh wonder why it happens with you all the time. Sab peeche pad jaate hain Mermaid ke;)
So how does the guy sound..lol..:D
Yep lets rock together:D

#Trups
// i liked it yaar :) ... "trups" was what my frens used to call me in college n all//
Mumbai ki ladki hai apan bhi:D
BTW kaunse coll se hain tu??
And we are all the same, isnt it?One cannot really change his inner self..I will remain 2 be known as "Pakao" for my college buds:D
We all rock at this place;)

#Jade,
Welcome:) Wow dont remember seeing you here..and u also know that I changed the template??Strange!!
Neways..we all need a change:D


#The Girl,
Hail Hitler waise Hail Bell:D
Isliye pata chala:D
Psychologist sis hai meree...:D

//And aapke zamaane mein toh cell phones were such a rarity. Puraani baatein. :P//
Oye I am talking about the zamana 3 yrs pehle wala..that wasnt too long.Or was it:O

And ya tu to heera hai yaar:)

#Ravi,
Hahhahaa..thanks..well thats not my originality..Will you step up Shailen fr your felicitation here:P

#Shreyas,
Hehehhe that was a cute comment:)and yeay personal to hai lekin sadness to nahi liek you said:)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (1:42 AM) : 

#Saggy,
Areee...kahi nahi jhalay re...It aint sad..just lil philosphical..
And the template curtesy goes to S.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (1:43 AM) : 

#Shailen
Abe please aa and say you are the one who gave me that java script..Mujhe undeserved credit lene ki aadat nahi hai..You to know it:P

 

Blogger Shreyas said ... (4:15 AM) : 

tell him to pass the script on to us too...:P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 AM) : 

muhahahahaha...
kitney saarey logon ko patthar banaya tuney ... :P

you rock !

 

Blogger Shobana said ... (10:23 AM) : 

i used to visit most blogs but comment only on a few thats all:). liked the new look so commented:) would like to take some tips on how to get a new look soon:)

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (12:43 PM) : 

some numbers are in the recently dialed numbers all the time and one rarely has to look it up...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 PM) : 

You are in love. Try to get married ASAP

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (1:12 AM) : 

I was not in a mood at all for reading this post.. thnx a lot to u for tht

I also sort contacts in my contact list... but m more into mssgs rather than into talking on phone

btw, the template looks gr8 :)

 

Blogger The Girl Who Sold The World said ... (2:09 AM) : 

Hey ROS, where did the other post go? Or was I dreaming last night? :-/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 AM) : 

haaa bhai... was hum also dreaming???

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 AM) : 

And which category do I fall in:)?

 

So you were saying....