Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A Journey with Mr. Gazer

And Virdi this one is for you.....

There's just this little thing that happened with me almost 4 years back and which I comfortably forgot until one day me and Virdi talked about it.
************************************************************************
You would know if you have watched this movie "Baaton Baaton Mein'.
There's a scene in that movie , where Amol Palekar sees Tina Munim for the first time in a local train. They are fellow passengers in a 9:10 AM local train.

They continue meeting each other in the train, he starts painting her picture (in form of a cartoon). In the beginning its just the eye flirting..and aankhon hi aankhon mein ishara..until one of them musters the courage and goes approaches the girl! From there the story kicks on!!
**************************************************************************
OK! the bottom line is..people who travel in public transport have a very interesting life!

They always meet the same people if they are loyal to one train or bus.

When I was pursuing my M.Pharm, me and my best friend travelled in the same 6:10 AM local from Kalyan to Kurla semi-fast train every single day.

One who has lived in Bombay can understand the importance of travelling via the same train every single day!

These train timings for a Mumbaiyya are like lifelines of every person!
People generally dont like missing out on their favourite train!
*****************************************************************
The scene:
And..I hated missing out on that 6:10 AM local.
For the first time in my life, I got to travel in a first class compartment. The price that we paid for getting into a first class was good enough for standing comfortably for 45 minutes coz the ladies compartment was real tiny with a max seating capacity of 15-20 odd ladies!
So this ladies compartment had a small window through which a couple of guys and girls can exchange glances!
Rightly, this guys compartment was called as "video coach"
Now, I must confess, few men who travelled by this first class gents compartment were college goers and some very good looking office goers!!
There was this particular guy who caught my attention. The guy was one decent-looking office goer. From his looks he did look like a marathi (not that it mattered). Not very good looking but looked really well mannered. Ironed clothes and a nice briefcase in his hand.
Scene before arrival of the train:
He also boarded the train at Kalyan and was accompanied by a friend too.
Me and my friend. Him and his friend.
We had this strange "gazing session'going on for atleast 15 mins prior to the arrival of train.
The four of us always stood below this particular clock on platform # 3 near middle class ladies compartment.
Scene after getting inside the train:
Now, the train arrived and we used to find our way to get inside the train and secure a good seat. Kalyan being the starting point, we could manage and get a comfortable seat if not the window. And who wanted the window seat anyways;)
Here is the catch: Both Mr. Gazer and his friend stood at the "small window" that seperated them from the ladies compartment.
The men did have enough room to accomodate atleast 35 people. But these guys never bothered to sit!
All they did was to stand in that spot, talk to each other, read the morning newspaper and alight!
Meanwhile, me and my friend sat exactly opposite to them. Talked a lot. Studied some.
On the way:
So all the time while we travelled I would see that Mr. Gazer stealthily looked in our direction and the moment I looked, he would shy away! My friend never had the guts to look at any guy;)
He would get down at Mulund (A station, mid-way between Kalyan and Kurla).
Every day this scene continued for few months!!!!
After a while, when one day both of us were standing on the platform, we exchanged some glances. I would just think.."Why doesn't he come and talk"!! But well, when was the last time guys in my life actually got what was on my mind:P
*******************************************************************
The problem:
Well, if it would have been now..I wouldnt have mind to go and talk to the guy on my own. But, I really was a shy girl once upon a time.
And the main problem was, me and my friend were never able to tell out of the two of us, whom he was interested in???
Let me admit, my friend is very pretty and charming..so well, I did not want to just assume things and build castles in the air.
This went on for 6 months during which the scene was the same!
On the station-in the train-mulund-kurla and back. On our way back home, we never bumped into each other ever!!
After a while, we just gave up the possibility of the guy approaching either of us and we thought he was probably married:D
**********************************************************************
The scence after:
I quit my M.Pharm, as I got a PhD offer then.
The day I got my visa, I went to submit my resignation.
Unfortunately, I missed my 6:10 local.
Needless to say, I felt sad, coz I was flying to US after a short while and lots of things had to be taken care of. I knew we would never see each other later.
Back here:
I flew to US and time flew too.
She is the same friend, who wrote letters to me here.
In one of her letters she mentioned "After you were gone, HE approached me in the same train, asking me about you. Since he did not see you with me anymore, he wondered where you were. I told him, that you were no more a Kalyankar..but have flown to US"
That was all. Finally, I was convinced that he indeed was looking at me. It was not a figment of my imagination. But, he approached me a little too late.
Wish things sometimes happened when you anticipate them to.
No wonder, the letter from my friend lit me up but the light slowly diffused and could not reach the place where it first ignited:(
Nevertheless, it was a memorable train journey ever. Even now, Kalyan platform # 3 brings back fond memories. I know, I will never ever take that 6:10 train.
Sometimes,'Ankhon hi ankhon mein ishara ends up being a mere ishara"

Comments on "A Journey with Mr. Gazer"

 

Blogger vi said ... (11:50 PM) : 

Nice one there K! 6.10 If I were you i would be sleeping in the train...
Abhi aaiyengey diwani kitne kyun samajti ho use bhool nahi paaogi?
(sorry plagarism at its worst/best!)

vi

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 AM) : 

6 months!!!
even mumbai ka bollywood couldn`t teach ppl to make the (first) move :P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:40 AM) : 

Wow! What if... :) Maybe you should have stopped taking the train for a few days, waited for him to ask, and then gone back and talked to the guy :) Just to be sure, if he didn't ask, it would be your friend's turn to 'disappear' for a few days :P

Lessons to be learnt by all those who are still in the signalling stage...

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (8:43 AM) : 

Wah wah! Kya idea hai Viv! Bahut experienced lagte ho! :D

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (8:55 AM) : 

#Sash,
Are itna mat muskura:D

#Vi,
Hi!! How have you been??
Are itna accha banda..kaun soye fir:))
Are which gazal is this one?? Suna hua lagta hai!

#Grain Saint,
Are aisa jarooree nahi na??
I know many girls who have made the first move..I dont fall into that category:(

#Viv!!
Why did u leave that question incomeplete??
Waise awesome idea tha!! Why dint u meet me 4 years back??
I am sure, the guy would still not have asked:( He just looked that way!

#Sash,
I agree..Please flash some light on this, viv:)

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (11:46 AM) : 

4 yrs ago I wud have went and spoken to that guy, but not now..

 

Blogger Ujwal said ... (1:23 PM) : 

kavita.....this story is very bollywoodish...sahi ahe..tuza ayushya kiti movies madhe influenced ahe...
so u were the CHOSEN ONE amongst u two friends....so tuzya friend cha #, id de...hehehe lolzzzz!

 

Blogger R said ... (1:49 PM) : 

:D

Err, getting up for that 6.10 local must have been a TOUGH job, haina?

 

Blogger R said ... (6:56 PM) : 

hmmmm...this does bring back some memories!
:D

 

Blogger Neha Sinha said ... (10:10 AM) : 

i recall...
i experienced this!'aankhon hi aankhon mein ishara' type :D

regular 'trip' to my tution thru same path...no train here though!aur raste mein everyday we came across a handsome guy!

you won't believe mujhe hasi aa gayi and i smiled bak... :P
*stupid stupid*...meee

now don't tell me am a kid! :P

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (11:09 AM) : 

uthe sabke kadam dekho rampam pam kabhi aise geet gaaya karo

video coach....lollzzz

kay yaar... itki bindhaast porgi tu aani itki shy hotis ka?

mala tya "kahi nahi mhantla" ya story chi aathvan aali parat

chal gud nite... happy weekend

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (3:45 PM) : 

abi mail access kar sakthi hai?

 

Blogger ritzkini said ... (8:04 AM) : 

one girl's gazer..equals another lecher..
:-/
get your standards,rite atleast !
WOMEN !
:))

 

Blogger educatedunemployed said ... (9:01 PM) : 

That is such a sweet story.What innocence those days.So many memories of the local trains.Yes middle ladies bridge ke neeche..standard place to meet all friends.And damn..I wish he had spoken to you earlier..Well even if you ever take that 6:10 local..it will never be the same again..Ah, and no prizes to me for stating the obvious..You just brought back some awesome memories.Beautiful post.

 

Blogger Pallavi said ... (10:21 PM) : 

Ohhh noo!!! This was so sweeeeet. I wish things had worked out..

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (11:51 PM) : 

# Thanu,
4 yrs ago..I dint...4 years later..I still can't:(

#Ujwal,
Well unfortunately..my life ain't inspired by bollywood..coz there is no rona-dhona, khoon se wrist pe naam likhna here:)))
Well, I will give you my friend's sasural ka number:P She just got married 2 mths back:P

#Talwar,
HAhahahah..coz things were happening then..but yeah..right now getting up at 5:30 IS an ordeal:P

#Viks,
Mumbai dekha hai kya kabhi:P
I know it was you..you got lost in MUmbai traffic:P
I know you aren;t that kinds to wait for a girt to come speak up:P

#Moonwalker,
Welcome!
Plz share those memories..wanna see how many people lost out in "pehle-aap":P

#Pandora,
//i experienced this!'aankhon hi aankhon mein ishara' type //
:O when??what age??
I was 20 then;)

Wow sahi...I never uthao my aankh in rasta...
Nice..you smiled at that guy..or smiled reading my post (*blushin*)
YOU ARE NOT A KID..bade bacche:P

#Sudeep,
Are waah..singing a song:P
Sing along...kabhi aise geet gaaaya karo:P
Bindhast ani me?? You got to know me more in that case!
I can appear whtever yaar...romantic things mein thoda proceeedings slow hai;)

#Thanu,
I know..this was for friday:P

#Prad,
No reaction!!Seriously...moved much ahead beyond the video coach you see;)

#Kini,
Sigh!!no lechery..some things are too nice to be dismissed off as lechery!!

#EU,
Middle class middle compartment..wow!! which train babes??
Mumbai..DAdar????
Like I said, maybe the guy and his wife and kid would be having a hearty laugh over this!!!!!
Please share your memories..and the train as well...Mumbai trains are fab..nothing beats them!!

#Ganga,
Was your wife one of those fellow travvellers:PP
Now you know how the girls feel about it??
Well there is a thin line between gazing artistically and being lusty..if its done the right way..I think its quite cute!!!
Provided the guy is worth being looked at too:D

#Pallavi,
Welcome!
I wished that 4 years back..not anymore!!!

 

Blogger virdi said ... (8:16 AM) : 

aaaiyla... yeh post mere uupar tha and i didnt even give a a big comment here??? what the heck...

dear romans, jews, and pakistanis... i love you all... Mmmwwwaaahhhh....

V...

 

Blogger virdi said ... (8:17 AM) : 

arre i heard u and that guy got married... dil hi dil mein tum dono ne ek doosre ko aapna jeevan sathi bana liya tha... right??

V...

 

Blogger R said ... (12:27 PM) : 

You poor thing!

And.. Grr.. UPDATE!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:54 PM) : 

:(
A memory that leaves us with a sigh.

 

Blogger Princessse said ... (9:40 PM) : 

Wah yaar - this is such a beautiful post. Enjoyed reading the post very much as well as all the comments along with it! Felt like I just got a full package deal to smile away. Mast hai sunshine, Mast.

 

Blogger Big Bad Boy said ... (7:16 AM) : 

Sooo Never Leave a chance... you should have talked to him if he was not coming to you, may be he was more of SHY type of person. It seems even you can't forget him and seems you too had a crush on him..

Soo never leave a chance take a phone number and blog address or email soo that we can contact to that person when you think that its enough to wait...

I think you should tell your friend to talk to that Guy and is possible tell him abt your email or blog address...

He will surely contact You !!!

Wht do you think ?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:07 PM) : 

U know what u shud send this to Karan Johar & I'm sure he'll spend a 20 crores to make this a blockbuster hit!

I'm serious, eh!

Nice one!

Rashmi.

 

Blogger Abhishek Upadhyay said ... (2:27 AM) : 

Oh,
what a lovely post i strongly agree with Rashmi, why dont you give the story to Karan Johar...

I had similar experience when I used to travel to my Engineering college in Deccan Express from Dadar to Karjat. There used to be a girl who used to sit at the same place every time and I used to sit nearby.The gazing was on for 2 years...the only difference between your story and mine is that the guy enquired about you from your friend...but that wasnt the case with me....
And as it goes...the flame extinguised...

Very good post dear.
Wish u a Happy Gudi Padwa

 

So you were saying....