Powered by Blogger

Friday, February 24, 2006

I am getting the shivers!

So just one more responsibility to take care of and I will be a free bird ..OK! for a while;)

Have this huge seminar to give. My research presentation.

Irony of life: Just when you need things to work for you, it doesn't. Things on which you bank on ditch you at the last moment. You want to solve problems and some new problem arises.

Sheesh!!

One week to go and not even a single slide ready:O

Experiments are on.

You know your stuff but then its research, things get interwined to such an extent that you almost feel like a spider stuck in a cobweb!

Anyways, me and public speaking dont go well.

Any one to one convo, I can beat you to that:D

Telephonic convo..anyday but talking in front of room full of prying eyes who are ready to pounce on one small mistake..aah! not a good idea..

Icing on the cake: My Rajdhani Express talking speed:(

During the first seminar that I ever presented in the US, I finished 55 slides in shocking 35 minutes straight!!

Every person who attended the seminar had a comment that said "You had a lot to say. Would have been nice if you would have paced your talk well"

One prof said "Americans dont understand when you speak fast. Go slow. One word at each time. Pause."

OK! In my second seminar, I managed to maintain a good flow by sipping water after every 10 minutes. One glimpse at the watch. Sip water. Again talk.

It worked!
But, its been more than a year since I gave a talk and I am scared! In fact each time I look at my data, I get goosebumps!

My heart starts pounding and I get cold..

Damn! Public speaking is an art and I know I suck:(



Comments on "I am getting the shivers!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:22 PM) : 

Whoa! First!
Ros, don't worry you will do really well. I am very sure of that. Fast is good in a way. One sounds very intelligent when one goes fast I think :-). And by the time people catch up with what you mean, and stop u to ask questions, you'd be done and on to the next thing, hahaaa.

Public speaking totally gives me the jitters.

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (8:28 PM) : 

All the best, baby! :)

I used to have the same prob of speaking too fast, and I had to train myself to speak slower, especially for the presentations in Manila. :P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 PM) : 

Oh best of luck :). Achcha karogi tum.

I actually need to train myself to speak faster :P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 PM) : 

My best wishes!! You will do well!!
People speak faster when they are very passionate about telling others what they have done. I become so passionate while telling some amusing event that sometimes I couldn't convey what I really wanna say!

Well public speaking is a learning experience. More you fail better you do next time :)

 

Blogger aria said ... (8:08 AM) : 

Can't give you any tips on public speaking - coz I myself suck in that art. But once I'm there 'on the spot' - I tend to just flow with tide n somehow manage!
All the best .. I'm sure you gonna do well!

 

Blogger The Girl Who Sold The World said ... (1:56 PM) : 

Oh I LOVE public speaking! It's FUN to talk in front of people whom you consider morons and think that you're actually doing a huge favor to them by talking about that stuff. Yeah, just believe that all the people there are the biggest idiots of this world and you're superior to them all. If anyone looks at you with cold eyes, continue staring at that person for 5-10 minutes coldly. The loser will get embarassed. Hehe...they work fine with me but then, the kids in my school are different from people who'll listen to your presentation.
Anyway, good luck with it! :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 PM) : 

Now Now....ROS...I am sure you will do fine...just take your time. I always like to think that I am giving a performance when I have to present...that makes me ease up and crack jokes during the presentation. Crack some jokes and make people laugh...things become easier after that. Anyway, there is always the old tried and tested method that people suggest 'imagine people in the audience naked'..although..tht has never worked for me...especially if the person right in front is my department chair!!!

 

Blogger Neha Sinha said ... (11:54 AM) : 

best of luck :)

me on stage:-
go..od mor...ning everybody..
this is...err..neh..
me to myself-"what's my name?"
dammit...mera kuch aisa haal hota hai :P


@seller
hahaha....xcellent!! whew..i'll try that out...whenever i have to speak....

 

Blogger Phoenix said ... (5:44 AM) : 

good luck dids...

and i'm sure u can talk well, public speakin is fun:P

 

Blogger PuNeEt said ... (6:59 AM) : 

I luv public speaking...
lemme flash myself...some shameless self promo...
I've won 4 best paper writer and prsenter awards... one @ All India and 3 @ Western India CA students confy ;-) lol
hahaha
ok its over from me now...

dun worry u will manage...
inne to badbad karti hain ;-)

tujhe slide layout bheja tha ;-)
chal abhi kam kar aur shiver karna band kar :-)

all the best :-)

Cheers

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (10:05 AM) : 

BEST OF LUCK :)

tuzhya bolnyachi speed aani scrapping speed ek sarkhi aahet ka? ;)

hoil hoil changla hoil presentation.. aaramat bol aani u will do gud :)

 

So you were saying....