Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Medley of colors

HOLI-The Festival of colors!!!
Just another festival that brings together people from different cultures together!
This festival has always bought sweet memories associated with Kalyan (the place where I live). We used to have holi celebrations in our society.
The house smelled off sweets such as Puran-polis and naral polis (Rotis made out of cocunut).
Every year my cousins used to come at our place to celebrate this festival.
At that time, I hated playing with colors but loved playing with water filled baloons.
On one such occassion, I had recovered from chicken-pox, so doctor had advised me not to play.
Much against mom's wishes, I coaxed her into letting me play with water only.
Mumbai guys were notorious in that way! I shuddered looking at them play with oil-paints and mud water. Yuck!!!!
All of us (in sixth or seventh grade) used to lock ourselves on the terrace so that no 'bad-guys" would be able to come and color us. Meanwhile, we enjoyed throwing baloons at them!!
We were mean sometimes!
I used to jump with joy if the water filled baloon hit someone on the face or on the back. It was equally annoying to see someone throw baloons at old people and little kids.
We took care to hit baloons only on college boys or men :)))
Things changed once I came to US. I thought, there would be no festivals. Forget colors.
Nothing is going to be the same anymore.
But, I was wrong!
We played holi just the way it should be played.
Last saturday, we had a Holi bash here.
Pics have been edited for privacy issues:))
There were
COLORS AND THERE WERE INDIANS:

AND THEN THERE WERE AMERICANS TOO: (Dont we all look the same now)


THERE WAS DANCE TOO.

It was amazing to see the amroos dance to "Kajra re". Thats why they say, music knows no language.





AND THEN THERE WAS FOOD: Although, I dont think I can ever make Puran polis..the way I have always eaten..I made this dessert that goes by the name of Shahi-tukde. Don't know how it tasted, coz it was over even before I got to it!





And then there was chaat and eating the food together while sitting on the grass!

No wonder, barbeques are more popular than banquet dinners!

There is some kind of innate pleasure in sitting together and eating in this manner.

For the first time, I saw some amroos eating with their fingers (except for when they eat burgers and burritos) . None asked for fork, knifes and paper towels.

Its nice to see people adapting to each other's culture and just being a part of them!

One guy even asked me "I dont know how to apply this color. DO you apply it to the cheek or do you apply it to the hair"?? "I like green color. Please apply some green color on me".

One guy even said 'Are you guys always happy and enjoying life like this"

I obviously had no answer to that. And I wish it was always that way. But, I thought it was nice to project your culture in this manner to someone who was not totally aware of how things function in your country!







Lastly, I think festivals are just a medium to bring together people when they are busy doing things of their own. Maybe sometimes, we do things coz we have always been doing it that way. Festivals might not always mean the same for different people. But, neverthless, festivals make us realize that we belong!!!

Colors are always the same...even if the soil is different!

********HAPPY HOLI GUYS*******


Comments on "Medley of colors"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 PM) : 

"Colors are always the same...even if the soil is different!"

Good one!

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (11:35 PM) : 

Kya post hai yaar! Maza aa gaya! :)

I want chaat! :(

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (12:38 AM) : 

rang barse beege chunar vaali rang barse... happy holi..

 

Blogger RP said ... (12:44 AM) : 

ROS,
After long I am here in the blog-world and decided to walk into everybody's world and here I am in yours. ;-)
Nice post. It is nice to know that 'away from home' too we are able to celebrate festivals with same vigour and josh.
Happy Holi to you.

 

Blogger virdi said ... (2:46 AM) : 

happpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppy holi....

V..

 

Blogger Sudarshan said ... (3:09 AM) : 

Haha...where ever Indians go,they carry their culture with them!!! Great post..nice pics too..happy holi:-)

 

Blogger R said ... (3:15 AM) : 

REALLY NICE POST!

Happy Holi!

I'm running for Gujiya.. :P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:04 AM) : 

Too Good hai !!!!!
Happy Holi !!!!
Even I want that Gujiya Amit.. Boohooo........

 

Blogger educatedunemployed said ... (5:11 AM) : 

Awesome, so well written, so true.I like balloons more than colours myself.Loved sitting in my balcony and aiming down below.HAHAHA it used to be so much fun.
Damn all of you who are eating gunjiyas right now..Really Damn all of you..
Happy Holi to you too ROS..

 

Blogger Neha Sinha said ... (7:43 AM) : 

holi ki dher saari badhaiyaan....happppy HOLI :D

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:05 AM) : 

#Anon,
Thanks:)

#Sash,
Thanks baccha!
Me wants chaat toooooo NOW!!

#Thanu,
Hehehhee..can visualize you instead of Rekha!

#Hey RP,
nice to have you back..are you never went away from our world!!
Where were you?? Blogging hiatus bug bit you too:P
Now stay here and write some kick ass things:D


#Virdi,
Tera yeh pic dekhke hasee aata hai:D
Happy Holi, Popo!

#Sudarshan,
Hahaha, I so agree to that! Some neighborhood chinese people said that the noise was trememdous but one desi said "Who cares! Next year we will make double the noise":)))

#Rohit,
Thanks re!
I dont match up with your pic taking skills.Hahahhaha..but seriously when I took that last pic, I remembered you:)

#Apy,
Welcome!!
//Even I want that Gujiya Amit.. Boohooo........ //
Yeh Amit kaun hai:O

But, ya I second you..Rohit gujiya de na...pleasheeeeeeee

#EU
:D
//sitting in my balcony and aiming down below//
Aree..I lived on the ground floor isliye used to get caught up coz we were on terrace! Otherwise, shakal se to mein bahut he seedhee dikhtee thee tabhi:))
Happi Holi EU:)

#Nehaji,
Hapiiiiiiiii Holiiiiiiii baccha:D
HAHAHHAHA
Jyada shahrarat na karna! hamare paas complaint nahi aana mangta:P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:53 PM) : 

Nice Post... made me look for people celebrating holi around my city too..hoping to find some.

Happy Holi!

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (5:16 PM) : 

#Viks,
Hum tujhe sab yaad dila denge Teelu:D
Aree..amroo accha lagta hai re:D

#Rajit,
Welcome:)
Around your city..which part of US??
Happy Holi to you:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:38 PM) : 

I'm in SE Michigan.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:19 PM) : 

A Very Happy Holi to you too ROS!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 PM) : 

oops!!!
That was supposed to be "Even I want that Gujiya Rohit.. Boohooo........."

Gosh.. Looks like I am losing it...

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:35 PM) : 

#Rajit,
Oh! I think Ann Arbor is close to you..they definitely must be having something for holi (student crowd):)

#Freakso,
Welcome back after a long haitus!! Looks like this post is a comeback for all you frogs who were busy hibernating in the winter:D

#Apy,
So whos Amit, my dear;)I know that was for Rohit..:P

 

Blogger t said ... (11:36 PM) : 

hey ros! happy holi!!! glad u enjoyed it even in "amroo" land! :)

 

Blogger aria said ... (4:09 AM) : 

Kewl pictures!!
Kahaan gayab ho gayi thi :)
You posted after ages .. but yeah .. made my day reading - how ppl enjoyed n loved Holi there ..
Wishing you - Happy Holi :)
I was sulking yesterday coz this is the first time I was completely alone on Holi :(

 

Blogger RP said ... (9:18 AM) : 

ROS,
Where were you?? Blogging hiatus bug bit you too:P
No way. My Manager, THE BUG ;-) bit me. :-D

kick ass things:D
Ye rmmbr?? I am glad. :-)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (11:48 AM) : 

#Aria,
Ya..almost a week that I posted!
Aree..you should have got along with all the ajoo bajoo wala ani painted the town red:D

#RP,
Thats the greatest bug:)

Hum kuch nahi bhoolte hain;)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (12:55 PM) : 

#Trups!
Sorry missed your comment:(
Happi Holi to you too:) njai:))

 

Blogger Apy said ... (7:12 PM) : 

Good ques!!!
even i am wondering y did i write that...
Seems like this work pressure will kill me one day.. or may be i ll start asking .. Who am I ?

 

Blogger PuNeEt said ... (5:56 AM) : 

sahin post hain re

happy holi (belated)

that shahi tukda looks yummy
mujhe bhi chahiye ;-)

Cheers

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (2:16 PM) : 

HAPPY HOLI :)

amazing last line to end off a gr8 post..

had puranpolis here but not shahitukde... kadhi tari nantar

bad guys
lollllzz

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:58 AM) : 

Very nice site! » » »

 

So you were saying....