Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Strangers in the nightime

We face extremes of weather. Too cold winters and intense summers too..although not as hot as Texas:D

So these days, I am making use of the blaring heat and the bright sunshine which means, I get to stand and read in my balcony for the better part of the evening, once I return from lab.

Thats the best part of summer..albeit the hot weather.

Time n again, I am reminded of a summer two years back when I moved from Louisiana. From a place, that totally was devoid of indian faces, Omaha came as a pleasant surprise. I live in a student housing that too junta thats in and out Indian.

Well, I am one person who cannot live without music. So whenever I come home thats the first thing I do.

Open the blinds, open the big glass window, switch on the music, make some tea and sip it for hours together.

Although, being in a student-friendly apartment, I had no clue who lived in the apartment above mine. Thats not uncommon in US:)

And I am not a person who would openly start talking to guys (in person)

At that time, I was on T-mobile cell phone provider and I had to go into my balcony in order to make/receive calls.


During that time, one day while I was on the phone, a voice said "Hi" and I looked above to find a desi-guy chirping that to me!

I merely looked..unsure of whether to respond back or not. [OK! I was a bit scared here. Dint want a stalker to come behind me]

Few days later, again the event repeated.

This time I decided not to even look into that guys direction.

After that it became a routine..Whenever, I would open the big glass window in my balcony..I would hear the guys on the top floor repeat suit.

I being a late night bird, would play music until late night. Sometimes, I would hear them humming the same tune. The guys would chat away to glory in hindi...until wee hours of morning. Sometimes, when I played some song they would talk amongst themselves 'Dil Chahta hai' and without realizing I would start playingDCH CD. I found it strangely amusing.

One day, I checked with my friends as to who were those guys who lived there.

They told me that the guys were Pakistanis and were nice chaps, one of them was a very good looking guy.

After being reassured that the guys meant no harm, I decided to smile when next time either of them tried to talk to me.

On a following sunday, I saw few movers outside my building. Since this was a routine thing, I ignored. Then I saw a familiar face talking on the phone. I held the door for him and he smiled again. I knew it was the guy who lived above.

He said 'Hi'...'We are moving. Now you dont have to stand our non-stop chatter'

I kinda felt bad and just said "No..that dint bother me a bit'

He said 'Well, it was nice of you to keep us company with some good songs. Hope to see you around'

Although, after that..I was kinda disappointed with my attitude here. Why do we sometimes distrust people initially? Not all guys are skirt-chasers. Maybe it helps being safe and all that.

Dont know what that was. But suddenly I realize that its been 2 years..I havent heard familair guys keeping me company in the wee hours of night in the house above me. I dont sit in the balcony all that often. I don't consiously try to overhear any conversations that anyones having there, which I earlier did.

Sometimes, strangers give you strange companionship:)

Comments on "Strangers in the nightime"

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (12:58 AM) : 

sometimes we get so used to strangers that theya re not strangers anymore..

 

Blogger "the girl who ate everything and didnt even burp" said ... (1:17 AM) : 

they say, "some strangers are friends you havent made yet!"... how true na? :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 AM) : 

Sad but true..anything new our first reaction is of fear unless ofcourse the thing is obviously good. Needs to be changed.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:57 AM) : 

#Thanu,
So true!!!

#Sugar Spice,
Welcome to my life..hehehe
The corollary would be "Every friend is a stranger to start off with":)
Keep coming:)

#Freako,
Fear of unknown...true!
So how is your preparation coming along??

 

Blogger s said ... (11:02 AM) : 

tch tch ... ross not nice of u ...
had u been pals wid these guys think of all the biryani u cudve had ....

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (11:06 AM) : 

#S

hehehee..they would had to put potatoes in there, instead of chicken..I am a veggie:D

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (1:06 PM) : 

Nice :)

Ullu you were supposed to call me yesterday! :@

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:50 PM) : 

Very well written .... I accidentally reached your blog ... just wanted to compliment you that u write very well ...

air ......

 

Blogger Ujwal said ... (8:33 PM) : 

are kai tu pakistanya la pan nahi sodlas :))
nice piece of philosophy still continues in ur blogs. good to see that. check my blog too, i am bak atleast ek post tari lihilay :)

 

Blogger Ujwal said ... (8:45 PM) : 

mhanje usko bhi bhav nahi diya tune woh tere pe fida hone ke bavjut :D

 

Blogger Keshi said ... (10:13 PM) : 

lol thanks for saying that I rock :):) good one!


**Why do we sometimes distrust people initially? Not all guys are skirt-chasers.

true. I might top the list in that cos as much as I can be friendly, Im way too careful abt strangers. Especially guys. This could explain my previously unexplained singledom lol! Anyways, those guys u mentioned seem like nice dudes. But it's just that u didnt go beyond the casual HI. Well thats cos we r too careful always. In a way it's good - but in another way it locks us in a prison and freezes r'ships that could be beautiful.

Keshi.

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (12:32 PM) : 

Now if India-Pakistan relns get strained even more, u r the one to be blamed for tht :P

but havent u heard the song frm Ek Ajnabee.. Momma told me not to talk with a stranger
it happens to most but try to be a bit frndly next time onwards

n all guys r not skirt-chasers?? hmmm...

 

Blogger Shreyas said ... (5:14 AM) : 

strangers providing strange companionship.. tats so true... i used to daily roam my areas bylanes till i came to USA... some of the faces thr had become so common that i jus cudnt forgt them... with sum even the timings had kinda synchronised... after 3 yrs when i came back; it never felt the same.. the roads r the same.. the faces have changed,,,,

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (3:06 PM) : 

#Sash,
Mujhe abhi bhi nahi samjha..What 'Nice' over here meant:O

#Wolf,
Thats our amazing Mumbai:) bheed mein bhi tanhayee, bheed mein hi jaane pehchaane chehre:)
// refusing to return my glance of recognition//
Hahahaa..place urself in their shoes n u would be able to understand their dilemma;)

#Anon,
Hey..thanks a bunch:) although, my writing has drastically reduced:)
BTW, what was 'air'at the end??

#Ujwal,
aaye janab...after a long time:)
And u r back with a post on soccer..Grrrrrrr
Are life mein pehlee baar bhav mila na to zhepa nahi mereko:))

#keshi,
Yes honey..u rock big time:)
//This could explain my previously unexplained singledom lol!//
So I read...the singledom is replaced by coupledom, eh;)
well said..freezing relationships!

#Sudya,
Lol..Hahhaa..yeah rite:P
Ab kuch reason nahi mila to mereko blame karneka kya:P

#Shreyas,
I believe in small towns in India..thats the best part..even in Kalyan...even the Phoolwali,bhajwali were so familair:)

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (11:38 PM) : 

Post is nice re... offo sab kuchh samjhana padta hai :P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 AM) : 

Hey nice to see ur reply ....BTW "air" is the english conversion of my Indian name ... well telin u frankly, once upon a time I also used to write a lot but had lost the touch due to work pressure and all .... but now looking at ur blog it has given me an inspiration to start my writing once more .... so thanks for being my inspiration ..... all the best ....

air ......

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (3:29 PM) : 

#Sash,
To samjha na:P

#Anon (aka Sameer)..Ur indian name:)
That indeed was flattering. If I could just be inspiring to some in whatever way..I think I have done my part! Thanks for that:) Makes me feel nice!
If u start writing, do let me know your link:)

 

So you were saying....