Powered by Blogger

Monday, October 31, 2005

Diwali for what I understand

Diwali, has always been a festival that meant "Lighting Diyas", for me. Not for the crackers and not for the sweets, but just the tiny diyas aligned in a row in sheer darkness, lighting up the environment and your life!
A tiny flame of light..It means a lot to me.
As a child, I used to wait for that time of the year when everyone's balcony was decorated with the best lanterns and diyas. For me, it meant buying three dozen diyas and painting them. This was the best memory of this festival that lingers on my mind. Later, to arrange them in proper rows, drawing a rangoli and no matter what, I would not allow any of the flames to die. Which meant, adding oil to it, for as long as I stayed up during the night.

When my mom asked me, why I did that, my answer always used to be "I don't like the flame to die, it makes me sad"

Diwali is supposed to be the darkest of all the days, but those tiny lights make the darkness disappear and makes the night reseplendent.

Maybe, the undying killer instincts that I have in me, stems from this. To not let that flame vanish that signifies an undying spirit.

Agreed, I am far away from my family and nothing beats the joy that you get by being with your family and your people. But, by constantly brooding that you are missing them, you neglect the very people who illuminate your lives by just being there. They are our friends here. They are the same people, who are our alternate family over here.People who look after you when you are sick, people who get food for you, people who present you with gifts and people who give you the joy of a family.

But, I guess I have learnt a lot about myself and the festival, after I came here.

The spirit of togetherness is what is the relevance of this festival for me. Diwali means to forget your differences and to come together as one community.

At Gaurav's house on saturday's diwali festival, this was exactly what happened.

There were many students and of course couple of them whom we dont really like, but the festival has something that makes you connect with people, whom you otherwise don't really relate to.

The guys arranged the party and yes! it was comparable to what I would have found in India as well. Lights, lanterns, food and sweets.

The guys proved themselves yet another time, by doing things with much more style and elan!

We dressed up in exact same manner just like we did when in India. The sparkle, the joy and the spirit was comparable.

On another occassion, I went to my cousin's house yesterday to celebrate the festival with my family. Gifts were exchanged and so were blessings.

What I want to say is that the situation, the feeling, the thoughts are all the same.The only thing that is different between celebrating in Mumbai and in Omaha, is that the absence of my immediate family (the faces were different).

But then, you form memories and based on that you shape your life.

I still light those diyas. The ones that my friend for 8 years, Mayura presented me with, on my first diwali in US. She sent those as "Diwali present" through post. I light those diyas and feel the presence of my friends from India. Doing that makes me feel that I am in Kalyan, at my place where I have celebrated the festival for 21 years of my life.

The festival still upholds the glorious past.

Still..

  • My kitchen smells of ghee and sweets during that time.
  • The gods are adorned with flowers and my temple smells of incense sticks.
  • Wear a saree on that day and go to the temple, just like I always did.
  • The air feels fresh and I send gifts to my family in India.
  • Lakshmi Puja is performed.
  • Gayatri Mantra is played in my CD player.

Staying apart has made me appreciate the finer details of the festival. I now celebrate this festival in my home here.

I still remember diwali as day of rejoice, and here we not only come together as one community, we have unity in diversity. Sikhs, Christians and people from other races wish you and are aware of this festival.

I went to Starbucks wearing a saree yesterday, on my way to cousin's place. The lady who was making the coffee for me, wished me and complimented the great Indian attire and what more..she made a free coffee for me (I go to the same coffee place, so she knows me quite well).

I felt a sense of pride in showing off Indian culture and that feeling makes me rejoice in this festival that I truly consider as "Festival of lights and enlightment"

So here I wish all you guys a "Very Happy Diwali and a Prosperous New year"


Comments on "Diwali for what I understand"

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (4:21 PM) : 

Wow! Viks that was fast! Thanks for posting a quick response:)

 

Blogger Nandya said ... (5:05 PM) : 

NIce post...we too had a potluck...was lots of fun....chalo drive safely and take care...

 

Blogger Bhole said ... (6:38 PM) : 

ROS - Good One....looks like you had fun. When i was in school we used to cook a full-fledged meal. Diwali has been just another day since last 3 years.

Wish You a Very Happy Diwali and a Prosperous New Year. God Bless!

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (7:01 PM) : 

Have a great Diwali and a blessed yr ahead. Like Vikram, Diwali was just fireworks.

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (7:58 PM) : 

Happy Diwali, ROS! :)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (8:21 PM) : 

Nandu!
I knw..u have to give me your "Kopra paak"recipe:)

#Vik
Heheh:)are I did the same too..but the difference here is that, I sent it to someone's toilet:)) I did not know that it goes in the opposite direction:P.Anotehr story, they never found out..I lookeed too innocent:)

#Bhole,
Make it different this year:)
God bless you too:) WOW I feel like big lady, giving blessings and all that:))

#Thanu,
Thanks gurlie! Wish you the same too..It feels wonderful to get so manyyyyy blessings:)

#Sash Baby!
Wish you the same!!!Have a fun filled diwali:)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (8:46 PM) : 

Prady,

Kid hai re tu:) Happy Diwali to you too:)

 

Blogger Parth Anand said ... (9:47 PM) : 

hey wonderful post...precisely..the fervor, the zeal with which used to celebrate festivals in india shouldnt die down..so what if we are seven seas away...
good to know you enjoyed with friends and cousins
have a nice and safe diwali..have lots of mithai...
am stil waiting for my besan ke laddoo :)

 

Blogger vi said ... (10:16 PM) : 

Hi happy diwali to you ROS...saree...cool! pics?

vi

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:13 PM) : 

ROS...you are absolutely right....very true. Wish you a very very happy Diwali.

 

Blogger xtremely_insane said ... (4:56 AM) : 

aaah well said.
happy diwali to u too.
nice to hear such a lovely praise of diwali from someone who isnt in india.
that shows, distance can make no barrier to contain the flow of feelings!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:13 AM) : 

Happy Diwali, ROS! :-)

 

Blogger aria said ... (5:24 AM) : 

Hey Rays
this was sucha sweet post .. brought a tear in my eye - when I read - the lady complimented you for the saree n made free coffee.
Very touching indeed .. you can keep the spirits alive - wherever you are ..
Stay the wonderful person you are and enjoy yourself ..
Happy Diwali to everyone.

 

Blogger jeenu said ... (8:10 AM) : 

HEY ROS AND REST OF THE JUNTA HERE A VERY HAPPY DIWALI :)
CHEERS
JEENU

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:00 AM) : 

# Parth,

Wish you a great diwali as well..BTW, the PO refused to delvier laddoos:) They say they neede a address:p

#Vi,

Thanks and same to you:)Hmm.....pics....abhi upload nahi hue hain:(

#Freako!

hey, happy diwali!

#hey,Xtremely insane!

Welcome and very nice to see your comment on diwali days. U know despite the distances "Phir bhi dil hai hindustani:)

#Hershey baby!
Happy Diwali to you:)

#hey Aria girl!

Now, you dont make me senti by saying all those nice things about me! Your comment was said totally dil se..Thank you girl! I pray you have a diwali better than the best you have ever had! keep smiling:)

#jeens,
Thanks and wish you the same!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 PM) : 

One thing I enjoy, and like...and I am sure the rest of the people who post comments on ROS's journal would agree with me...is the fact that ROS addresses every comment individually...and makes it a point to respond to it. Not very many people do that....I appreciate that about you ROS!

 

Blogger Kiran said ... (8:09 PM) : 

Hii..I felt really bliss in my soul after reading "Diwali for what I understand"...Felt like, I shud hav been in ur place. I spent the whole Diwali in preparing for the poster presentation...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

Hey Blogger,

This is an amazing idea! Please add more details as soon as possible. Fantastic site!

Regards,
make fast start money business

 

So you were saying....