Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Of rituals and the Indian in America

On sunday, at my cousin's place.
My cousin is settled here in the US and have lived here for 8 years.
There were a bunch of families whom she had invited and who have also been living here for quite a few years.
In midst of conversations that ranged from families n kids and festivals, we brushed on the topic of "rituals"
According to dictionary.com, the definition of ritual means "The prescribed order of a religious ceremony"
The way, you have been taught to perform certain tasks and duties. It may not be the right way to perform it, but then this was what was imbibed into you and you follow it, unquestioningly.
So this lady 1 narrates an incident that occured at her work place. There was this guy who recently got married and as the way-it-is, he bought back some "sweets" from his wedding to distribute amongst his colleagues.
We all do that! Bring back sweets whenever we go to India. Though, the junta here cooly get away by addressing "Kaju Katli" as "Some-sweet-candy":)
So, this guy had bought some "burfi" and that burfi, did undergo loads of wear and tear before it made its way! So these things got stuck to each other during transit and the guy bought them in the same "Sweet box" which he had got from India. So this container had all the stains of ghee sticking around it and when he offered the sweets to his American colleagues, they smirked and the worst part is, they had to take it, as it is rude not to!
They took the sweet and when none was looking, they kindly threw it in the trash.
Lady 2 had another tale to narrate.
In her office, there is an Indian colleague who works with her. So this gentleman, has some Puja at home almost once a week. He comes to work with "Tika" on his forehead and also brings along some "prasad". We have been taught to respect these rituals, and accept the "prasad"in your palm by extending your right hand. We do not think if its unhygeinic or whether your hands will get messy due to the ghee-laden prasad. Nevertheless, we have a hard time explaining these things to the Americans here, who do not eat even a cookie without a paper towel.
So, when this gentleman offered them prasad and made them eat it the way we do, he was in receipt of some wierd glances. He eventually stopped bringing it to work!
Such are the ways! In both the instances, the intention of the people who are offering is the same and holy, but according to me, when someone is skeptical about something, you should change the way you present things. It does not mean, you are bending rituals, but you are presenting your culture in front of -people who do not know the significance of it.
For people, who still think that in India, we have elephants hanging around on the streets and our trees have monkeys all around them, many of them still do not know about all these rituals.
If the guy # 1 had presented the "sweets" in a decent manner, they would not only have relished it but it would have saved the Indian community from embarassment. Same goes with the guy # 2 who could have easily carried some paper towels along with him!
When you live in a foreign country, there are so many things that others are not aware of. You cannot do the same things that you have been doing all your life. Coz here, you are not in midst of your people, you are amongst people who are learning about you, your country and culture. You do not want to project a wrong image about it.
Consider the example of this American born Indian child ( I refuse to use the term ABCD) at the temple.There is a small banana tree which is considered to be auspicious, around which they have placed a note saying “Please do not place shoes over here”. On one of the instances, this child who is almost 10 years old, removes his shoes right there. It was fine, if the kid was unassisted, but his parents were accompanying him. I mean, how ridiculous can that be. Given the same scenario, these Americans who also visit our temple on a regular basis, remove the shoes where they are supposed to.
To me this is complete mockery of our tradition.
I do not want to sound like someone who gives sermon on all these issues, but these things do bother me. Especially, when you are one of the members of the large Indian sample space in a foreign country and by doing things which do not portray a proper image of us, I cannot stand that!

Comments on "Of rituals and the Indian in America"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:31 PM) : 

DAZAMMM...ROS IS ANGRY...WATCH OUT!
Well..I agree with what you say ROS. One question this brings to my mind however is...would mainstream Americans (Caucasians)..change their rituals and traditions to accomodate people from other cultures? For Indians who have been citizens over here for a number of years...this is their own country...often..they are as much Indian as they are American. So...having to change somethings about themselves to adapt to being in this country...might not sound like a good idea...especially...if they are the only people doing the adaptation...and the mainstream Americans are not. This actually brings us to the concept of 'white privilege'...where mainstream Americans, in this day and age...can still choose to function in a vacuum despite the pluralistic society they live in. Such a privilege is not availabe for members of a minority group. How many of us feel as if when we leave our homes to go to work...we leave a big chunk of who we are behind? Do we have to? Do mainstream Americans feel the same?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:35 PM) : 

Good post. I agree that as Indians staying abroad, it is our responsibility to convey the right image about our country and its culture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:38 PM) : 

Viv...but an important question here is....why is there a neccessity for us to prove ourselves...to maintain an image....why the pressure to always present in a positive light...do you think...the mainstream American does that?

 

Blogger Parth Anand said ... (6:58 PM) : 

hey
i agree with you...such simple things like distributing sweets in a proper manner and for that matter giving prasad but then making sure there are paper towels are basic etiquettes and people should learn them. Even if I was in india and someone brought in front of me a box of sweet all torn and shabby with ghee dripping and everything all mixed up, taste of different sweets intermingled..i will have second thoughts of tasting the sweet. so i totally agree if you care to share your culture with the americans do it in a presentable manner

commenting on what freakshow said
would mainstream Americans (Caucasians)..change their rituals and traditions to accomodate people from other cultures
In this scenario too... no one is asking you to change your culture...no one is stopping anyone from putting tilak on one's head and going to office...for that matter wearing indian outfits etc..you aren't being looked down upon..so it is you who chooses what you want to potray yourself as..
(i apologize if i have hurt any sentiments..)

 

Blogger Bhole said ... (7:44 PM) : 

Be a roman in rome...in rome you do what the romans do.

I hear ya...i hate such people too.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (8:26 PM) : 

# Freako!

The question is not that you have to adapt, but you should. Its not coz you have a 'pressure'to portray yourself, but according to me, its coz of what I carry from india. Being a citizen of India (I still hold an Indian passport;) I think its my responsibility to portray my country in good light. We don't live there and work directly for the welfare of India, but this is something that we all can do.

It does not take any extra effort from our side, its just a simple task, which if done not only proves that India is not a THIRD world country, as many of the mainstream Americans still consider, BTW!

The main stream American, quite possibly does not, coz its THEIR Country and that makes a difference.

Tell me, do Indians who live in India, change their rituals to accomodate Americans?? I don't think so! I am not defending Americans here, but the post was meant to highlight the importance of uplifting image of our Country.

If, I really can do that, I think I have done my part as a citizen of India.

Viv!

True enuf!

#Parth

Ya! I agree..nobody asks you to follow these traditions coz nobody is supposed to tell you what you should wear and what you should eat. I do it coz I like it:)

And no, you are not hurting anyone's sentiments, buddy!

#Bhole,

I agree..does not mean you become a Roman yourself:D

 

Blogger vi said ... (9:46 PM) : 

Interesting topic ROS,
*...Personally, I am against giving "prashad" to non-believers! If someone one was to give me communion i would probably refuse it!
*...I don't really care what firangs think...
*...I wouldn't want to carry the load of representing the whole of India...

That being said...I do realise that our actions define how others percieve us!


vi

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (9:55 PM) : 

ROS,
I TOTALLY TOTALLY agree with you man! I am so sick of hearing skewed views of India and Indians!

The least these "don't-mean-any-harm" Indians can do is "think" before they "present their culture" to people who are not at all familiar with our ways back home!

Aaarghhh... I hate it when I have to step in to do damage control! :(

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:37 PM) : 

Hey Vi..

If someone one was to give me communion i would probably refuse it!

Well, I have had communion before, precisely coz I went to a catholic school and when the Father offered me one, I did not see any reason to refuse!


I don't really care what firangs think...

Neither to I, But I do care as to "what" they think. I consider it offensive when they call "Lord Ganpati" as the God-with-elephant-face-who-rides-on-a-tiny-mouse. I consider it my responsibility to let thenm know what is the name of the god!

I wouldn't want to carry the load of representing the whole of India..

Sure!Thats a huge responsibility for anyone.But, I do not want them to consider India ONLY as a land-of-arranged-marriages-where-kids-stay-with-parents. As much as it is possible,it gives me immense pleasure to give them useful pointers:)


That being said...I do realise that our actions define how others percieve us!

Exactly!!!!I agree..

# Sash!

//think" before they "present their culture

Exactly, my point..:D

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:41 PM) : 

#Vik!

Holy cow! I answered the previous comments and here I see a reply from ya:)

//I think people should adapt to new environment without losing any values or forgetting their roots...

You said it!

 

Blogger Kaala Kavva said ... (12:51 AM) : 

so true yaar
i hate it when ppl from other countries think we all live in villages and still travel on bullock carts... its so weird...

i seriously agree with u on all that u say

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:11 AM) : 

Yeah...you are right ROS. I have always felt like an Indian ambassador here in US, because people, everywhere we go, ARE forming opinions(and judgments), not only through what we share with them verbally, but what they see too. It is important we be sensitive to their own culture and ways of being and doing, and help them give the right picture.

It is amazing to be proud of what we are, and where we come from, but we cannot just let it all hang out in an insensitive way, is what my opinion is. Ofcourse, many of us do things quite unknowingly too. We just don't realize.

You know what irks me? When some of us rattle off in our own lauguage, loudly, right in front of Americans or people who do not understand what we are speaking. I have seen that happen all the time..not only outside, but even on a table in an intimate setting, where people from every culture is part of the evening. I feel it is very rude and thoughtless to do that.

 

Blogger aria said ... (6:46 AM) : 

Hmm .. I have lost too much breath over everything said here. Coz I'd the load of representing India when I did a youth exchange program n was faced with these kinda problems almost everyday in 9 months.
Its no use arguing with some ppl . .either firang or Indian.
Even firangs do wierd things. I remember one of my neighbors had an American bahu. She used to touch service spoons n lotsa eatable on table with the same hand - that she used for eating! (Theres no word for "joootha" - so I dunno wht word to use n probably most firangs don't mind all this) This freaked out the traditional mother-in-law n some other members who made faces but somehow endured or did the servings before she landed on the table. So some adjustments hv to be made everywhere.

Also I was shopping with my sister once. We were buying gifts for her American frinds. I suggested some silver or stone Ganesha idols but my sister refused that they won't respect these items n wud probably disrespect the idols - treating them as usual showpieces. I never thought this way. Some responsibility lies on us for the rest we can't do much.
Cultural differences are bound to stay. If we don't respect our culture we can't expect others to respect us either.
Most villagers (even some common junta) still think "gora" is superior. I stayed with a group of whites n non-whites in the villages once n all the villagers thought - the non-whites (we) were their (white's) caretakers n we get paid for staying with them. eeks ..
Ok if I continue I'm gonna be reminded of many such things thts gonna irritate me .. all over!

Liked your post Rays - highly debatable n thought provoking stuff .. n the discussion is never-ending!

 

Blogger jeenu said ... (9:26 AM) : 

hey ROS
"when in rome be a roman"..but unfortunately no matter how much we try we are desis :)..in desis defense...i dont amru's changing an iota to change their ways..( there are some good ones )
so i guess majority determines the rules....so the big question is do i conform and lose a part of me( no matter how the rituals are imbibed in us..it still a part of me..) or not.
cheers
jeenu

 

Blogger Nandya said ... (11:27 AM) : 

btw girl did u get my mail...and the recipie.....

tere se dooooor keh se reh sakta hoon jaan

 

Blogger vi said ... (11:51 AM) : 

Ray,
About comminium, why I couldn't take it, is because I am sick of chritian people promoting their religion all the time...missionaries in India esp. (if you happen to have time, Read Shouries' "Harvesting our souls")

Clarification: I respect all religions, but follow only one -my own :)

once again, interesting and debatable topic!
vi

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (12:42 PM) : 

Guys!

I had no intention on making this SOUND RELIGIOUS OR PROMOTE ANY THING.

I think each one has their OWN beleif. The whole aim of this post was to emphasize about "ETIQUETTES AND PRESENTATION"

I apologize if any of you have read it in any other manner. The views expressed here by other commenters are THEIR OWN AND NOT MY MINE.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (9:55 PM) : 

I know Prady,
Will keep that in mind, when I-do:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:38 AM) : 

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
» »

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:16 AM) : 

Excellent, love it! » »

 

So you were saying....