Powered by Blogger

Monday, December 26, 2005

My first accident

1.15 PM on Monday afternoon.
I pulled out of my parking lot and was about to take a right turn to go South. I was on my way to see Jas off at the airport. A bicycle driver is driving straight and in flash of seconds, I realized I hit him.
I could not believe my eyes at the first instance.
I got down of my car and started apologizing coz the man started screaming on top of his voice as if all hell broke loose.
He asked me to "park my car"[My first mistake] and I did that.
Secondly, he called the police.
By this time, I was almost into tears.
The guy aggravated the situation by asking for my Driver's license, information, my phone number and blah blah blah.
I think, everything in life is aligned properly. Had I not found my license yesterday, I would have been responsible for yet another offense.
I thank God for saving me a lot of trouble.
Plus, he started giving me gyaan as to how I should look on the left and right before I pull off my car on the street.
Can't imagine in three years of my driving experience, I would hit a bicycle rider and he would actually advise me on the basics of driving.
I immediately called two of my good friends (A and P) and one of them is actually quite informed about handling such stuff.
P, drove his car from his house to mine in straight 10 minutes [I dont know how]!!
The bicycle rider from how he sounded has run into a lot of accidents before. Coz, he almost shocked me by saying that his bicycle costs 1500$..Is he crazy or what??
Then he says "the rim of the cycle is a little damaged, the chain has come off" etc etc.
He then adds "This is why, you have insurance"
I did not utter a word to this guy as I was damn pissed.
The police finally came and this person says "I have all the info from her and there is not much damage. I will take this cycle to the bicycle shop and get an estimate of damage".
The police never looked into my ID, did not ask me for my insurance and told him "if you have sorted it out amongst yourself, there is nothing much left for me to do"
After the polic left, this guy got on his cycle and started riding it again, much to my amusement!
He was making a huge drama over the whole thing, when in reality the way he actually behaved was strange!
He wasnt hurt and if his bicycle chain had indeed come off, how can he ride it??
Either he knows, I mean no harm to him or either he thinks I am plain stupid. My looks dont suggest either of them. And if he indeed slams a hefty bill in front of me, I also have evidence. We clicked a picture of him riding his bicycle immediately after the so called"accident".
First of all, he dude was super smart. He asked me to park my car and his bicycle lay on the spot of the "accident". Thats what I was told by P, never move your vehicle from the spot even if it stops the entire traffic. Secondly, I should carry my digicam everyday.
I think, I have to yet learn a lot of things. Especially, how to handle cunning people.
As of now, yet another important lesson learned.
  • Never mess with "Bicycle riders and Pedestrians"
  • Do not get intimidated if someone screams on top of his voice
  • Do not forget the basics of driving

After all this drama, I got back home. Quite shaken up actually and I am spending the sunny day locked in my apartment.

Making notes in my blog, for future reference!

Comments on "My first accident"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 PM) : 

Thank God you are ok. Second thing, don't over-think on this matter. Greedy b*****ds will do such stuff and there is nothing much that can be done about it. If he is even half as smart as he acted in first place... he won't do a thing.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (4:15 PM) : 

#Prad!
I hope so too!But, I dont think he is going to let me off that easily!

 

Blogger Bhole said ... (4:34 PM) : 

To me this guy sounds like a con man. You should have got his info as well. And yes, never move your car.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (7:44 PM) : 

#Viks!

Yeah! am fine..I kept sleeping until evening to get over that!

#Bhole,
I want to become a con woman now!
It sucks yaar!:(

 

Blogger ritzkini said ... (8:58 PM) : 

:(
sorry to hear that...bad,bad amroos !!
accha chal abhi ek ROS e-smile !!
:)

 

Blogger Jagan said ... (12:08 AM) : 

careful lady .....its good that nothing happened and the police came . just 4get it and enjoy the last week of the year :)

 

Blogger Kaala Kavva said ... (1:03 AM) : 

hahhaha!
sorry but i have to laugh!
hahahahahaha!

kinna anpad banda tha... but its okay... he taught u a lot of things...
usko thanku bola ????

 

Blogger Raj said ... (5:34 AM) : 

I was involved in a similar accident once. The only thing different was that a big crowd gathered around us and i thought it was best to get out of there so I payed him Rs.300 to get his scooter repaired.

 

Blogger Neha Sinha said ... (7:20 AM) : 

:O :O :O

baap re!

sue him!!

 

Blogger Layfield said ... (11:51 AM) : 

pandora-"sue him!!"
You gotta be joking. Pedestrians and cylists have priority in USA(I think). They always get the upper-hand. And you don't just go sueing people.

Yo should verify that the bicycle costs 1.5K$ before you pay him anything high. Good bicycles cost $100-300. 1.5k is lie.

 

Blogger Ginkgo said ... (11:52 AM) : 

I am not sure if I got it right...but if the police never booked anything..then u have no record of such a thing happening..:-)

rest easy...and as always denial' is the best policy :-)

 

Blogger Kiran said ... (3:27 PM) : 

Cool!! you have able friends,

This happened to my friend few days back. He had hit a white guy's car from back at an intersection, infact just kissed it. Nothing sounded major, eventhen the guy dint start his car though the traffic cleared off.
My friend got off his car went by his door to apologize but all went in no avail.To his astonishment the guy dint even looked out of the car till the cops entered the scene. Finally it ended in peace.

 

Blogger Kiran said ... (3:29 PM) : 

BTW answer it

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (6:36 PM) : 

Whoala!

Uski toh khair nahin... mil jaaye abhi raaste mein na... Sash sambhaal legi, you dun worry baby!

 

Blogger Nandya said ... (6:54 PM) : 

Damn!!...well...its a good wake up call aint it....seems u defintely learned some useful lessons .....

take care

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:33 PM) : 

Damn girl..that totally sucks...looks like our bicycle guy was being a jackass. We shall keep our fingers crossed that he does not slam you with a big hefty bill. Also..did the picture that you took...have a date and time on it? And his face perhaps?

 

Blogger silverine said ... (8:26 PM) : 

These advices is what I first got even before I started driving from my brother. And if you follow them you will be safe. Actually the cycle fellow sems to be a decent sort, most people try to take advantage of the situation expecially when it is a lady driver.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:48 PM) : 

Hey ROS, hope you are feeling better. I know one can get totally shaken up with such a thing. Yeah, this guy sounded too dramatic. Yeah, it's a good idea to carry a camera. And I didn't know that thing about not moving the vehicle. Good point.

 

Blogger PuNeEt said ... (12:03 AM) : 

Wen i read the title... i was a bit worried ki tujhe to kuch hua nahin na...
fir dekha bycyle wala hain to...
i got relaxed....

arey kya tu bhi ye bache log se darr ti hain...

may be this was ur first encounter...
lolzzzz...

dear...
I would have been responsible for yet another offense
purani kahani suna na ;-)

i had quite a lot of accidents bt touchwood never ran on some one...
khodi bahut chumma chummi chalti rehti hain mumbai traffic main ;-)
lolzzz

once a truck hit my bike... if u wanna read the incident...
http://puneetdreamz.blogspot.com/2005/02/when-truck-hit-my-bike.html

bt things are lot differen there...
all well that ends well...

there are people who like to make drama... every1 have their own modes of enjoying ;-)

ok b4 u kill me lemme leave..
njoyyy

Cheers

 

So you were saying....