Powered by Blogger

Friday, December 16, 2005

Woh lamhein woh baatein

Since past two days, I have got calls everyday at 5:00 PM.

Yes! its december and two of my friends left to go to India for a month long vacation. In the next ten days, two of my friends from Omaha are heading home.

On both the occasions, the guys got me really nostalgic. Though, its not even 6 months, that have passed that I was home
.

On this instance, it was one of my good friends Pandyha who was heading home! So, this guy and me have been friends since college. One who knows whats best in me and whats worst in me. With whom, I share a love-hate relationship.Hahaha.."hate"is an extreme term to use in this case. But, he pissed me off really well, when he did.

"You say that we've got nothing in common
No common ground to start from"
It was exactly that way. He the typical to-the-point Gujju and someone who was quite flamboyant and a "Kanhaiya" , always sorrounded by 10000 girls at one time:O
A typical western-Bombay lad.
I still do not know how we became good friends, but at times it is not necessary to think on where and how it all started!
I recollect quite few instances with him.
Mostly, all the stories start and end with laboratories. Each day, we had 4 hours of practicals in college. We worked in pairs and he was was my friend Mayura's lab partner. Oh..how she liked working without him:O. He did not mind it when I accidentally threw a test tube of "glacial acetic acid"(a corrosive chemical) thinking that it was water:O. I ended up tearing his jeans and injured his fingers too.

One who:

  • Was always late
  • Never had any stuff needed for practicals (usually)
  • Never had his lab journals completed on time
  • Had a shabby handwriting.
How he pissed me off when:
  • He borrowed my clean lab coat
  • Finished off my lunch-box well before lunch time
  • Used to retort by saying "Dont think a lot, tere chote se dimag ko traas mat de" [Dont overstress your small brains by "thinking"
  • He called me names such as "Mand"[slow], ghati [short for maharashtrians], pakaoo {one who can bore you to death]
  • He would laugh, when I cried
  • He used to give me "fundas" all the time
  • He gave his stupid anatomy journals at the end of the year for me to draw diagrams
  • With his carelessness
  • With this big inflated ego (He is a Leo)
  • When he lived by the philosophy of "I am the most important person in my life"
  • He made fun of my sister also which she did not seem to mind:O

Neverthless, he is one person who has been there at the toughest of times when the going got tough. Someone who always reinforced that "Sympathy is the worst emotion that one can have for anyone".

He has taught me a lot of things too and with whom I have had the greatest of Mumbai experiences.

By Mumbai experiences, I mean:-
Helping me to navigate at Dadar station:-
[Dadar is the most complicated station in whole of Mumbai. Its the place where, all the three lines viz Central, Western and Harbor lines merge leading to utter confusion in everyone's life].
At one time, I was waiting at the central side platform # 1 and he was looking for me at the Western railway terminal. Without a cell phone, during those times, getting lost at Dadar station is not exactly the nicest thing:O
Traveller and eating buddy:
Mumbai life is no fun without food. Him and me had the traveller's spirit. Though, we lived far from each other and during the times when we finished our B.Pharm and applying for Programs at US, we did travel a lot. From Kalyan-Dombivli-Mulund-Andheri-Bandra-Churchgate (all located in a 2 hours distance].
Eating everything from Pani puri, Raj Kachori, Bhel, Canon Pav-Bhaji.
During Applications and coping with rejections:
Still remember the day of GATE results. I was one paranoid soul, who used to cry incessantly in anticipation of results. Though, I was confident that I would pass with nothing less than a first class. During, one such time after I had taken my GATE exams (for getting into M.Pharm) when I wanted to go check my results at
IIT-Bombay. Man! it was crazy. Poor guy, was laughing all the time in the rickshaw as to why I was crying when it did not even matter if I got into M.Pharma or not (at that time I was intending to take my GRE). He accompanied me everywhere from then. He almost killed me when I cracked the exam and secured admission for M.Pharm. He has acted as a sponge absorbing whatever I threw at him.
You always need a friend who would switch on your logic button whenever it switches itself off.
Later, when I was intending to take my GRE and I did not even have my passport. This guy accompanied me everywhere right from Passport office to USEFI, that involved so many rounds of passport office. One who knew that I am going to mess up in the "Analytical"section of GRE, coz he was aware that my logic sucked.
At times of utter confusion:
During those times, when I was going crazy, torn between continuing my education in Bombay or coming to US. Helping me make a decision.
Those walks at
Juhu Beach:
& in the hustling bustling Marine Drive
Somehow, his presence at that time when life was almost as clear as a foggy day, made a huge difference. When life was at the threshold and probaly one of the most confusing stages of my life.
Don't we all need a friend who can act as an anchor? One who can irritate the life out of you, still provide a comforting shoulder for you to lean on??
Later, who accompanied me to the "Visa office" too.
**********************************************************************************
I think our journey is left incomplete.
Just like any other friendship, we also suffered few setbacks, just when I was set to come to US. 20th July, 2002.
We talked few times, but the equations were changed. What curtailed is something that probably does not hold any significance in present. Sometimes, things go wrong without any reason.
The last, I saw of him was at the airport when he came to see me off. I was done with the immigration check and everything by that time. I had almost given up the thought that he was going to show up, but at a subconsious level, I was looking for my friend.
True enough, when I was given the permission to see my family just for 5 minutes, thats when I saw him standing there sipping "Nescafe".
We still talk, maybe we still try to connect just like we did before. But sometimes, even though a torn dress can be patched at some places, you cannot get the original appeal.
Now that he has gone home, I truly hope he brings back memories that we lived by!
I don't think, I ever had that kind of guy-friend again!

Comments on "Woh lamhein woh baatein"

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (9:19 PM) : 

Me first.

Me senti.

Me wants pani puri.

:(

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:05 PM) : 

#Sash,
Oye! Senti venti is reserved only for Jackie:p
Pani puri..Hmmm..even me wants some:(

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (10:21 PM) : 

Very nice post. Let all go out for pani puri...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 AM) : 

hehehehe
about all these comments...u guys seem to be really missing indian food..

anyways, 'rays of sun' nice post
u reminded me of one friend of mine...actually two...one who was there when i needed him..always and the other who left me when i needed him...always
hehehhehehe!

 

Blogger virdi said ... (1:20 AM) : 

//Canon Pav-Bhaji// i guess canon also makes Cameras...

and yes some people make such a mark in your life, that whatever you do, they can never go away from you... never!!!

V..

 

Blogger Kaala Kavva said ... (1:46 AM) : 

Oye hoye very senti post...
but 1 thing u have a goooooood memory sunrays!!

waise a lot of his bad qualities matched with mine :D

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (2:52 AM) : 

Oye let's all go somewhere for pani puri!!!!!!

 

Blogger aria said ... (5:35 AM) : 

Ohh .. I hv said so many times - you really hv some kewl frnds n its good to see - you know - how to make them feel special (hope they read your blogs!)
Nice blog again .. n yummy pics.

 

Blogger Nandya said ... (8:06 AM) : 

sweetheaaaaaaaaart!!...

nice post.....honey bunches of oats..

 

Blogger Deeps said ... (8:18 AM) : 

Thanuji, aap California me rehthi he, waha pe toh der sara pani puri milta, hum Kentucky walon ko ek Indian restaurant ke vaandhe hogaye he :(. Me wants pani puri, bhel puri and masala puri :((.

BTW ROS, a really wonderful dedication to your friend. Aise dost bahut kam milthe he zindagi mein :).

 

Blogger virdi said ... (12:01 PM) : 

hey ROS, everything on the right side is not ekdum set wet!!! congrats... :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

Enjoyed the pics! The station, the pani puri, marine drive....oh, am nostalgic yaar.

I loved your comment about patching up a torn dress and its original appeal.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (12:54 PM) : 

#Thanu!!
Dearoo, you live in proper California yaar:( Tons of desi restaurants!!

#Viks!
Sorry yara, can't help it!! I am a complete foodie myself:) Plz bear!
Thanks for the compliment:)

#Koi Pahailee,
Yeah!!we do miss it yaar..kya karen...bananeka patience bhi nahi hai.Pani puri n all:(

//...one who was there when i needed him..always and the other who left me when i needed him//

Funny! but we all have friends of of all types. Friends who remain are friends forever:)

#Virdi,
Sahi bola yaar.

#Z kid,
Yep! that was indeeed correct,I do have a great memory Lekin ppl around me dont..:(

Bad qualities..hmm..so we can be best friends now:)

#Sash!
Chalo lets invade Thanu! Omaha mein kuch nahi hai:))

#Aria!
The very fact that I write about them implies that they dont read it. In fact none of my close friends and family know about it. I prefer to remain that way. Takes away my expression!!
But the friend whom I mentioned here, reads it but he hardly has the patience to read it, and keeps forgetting to book mark the site:))

#Nandu!!
Chalo good to see you back from your hiatus!
Honey bunches of oats..phew!! Cereals on a saturday morning:O

#Deepthi!
Exactly my point!! Check my comment to Thanu!
I never go to desi restaurants here..but the problem is they dont have chaat anyways:( so me crave for more!
Thanks girlie! Rightly said:)
P.S:- I keep forgetting to blogroll you:(

#Virdi!
Thank Puneet!! Just one width number had to be changed in the template..sab kuch set ho gaya.Cool na! I love my page now..Yeayyy

#Hershey!
Thanks girlie! Good to see you back:)
You were missed.

 

Blogger Kiran said ... (6:28 PM) : 

Hii,

I haven't read the post at all and my comment has nothing to do with this post.I honestly say that I'm not here to grab any attention of yours.

Believe me, the very next link after I saw invinci's blog was yours. Few say its addiction, I dont know, how people take it(blogging). I stepped into it not so long back, been into many wonderful blogs and been frustated many a number of times by the elegance seen in them, in a will to be on par.

Now, this is striking me very hard. Is there any point at which it shud be put an end to(the same 'it' referred), only for the sole reason of being driven away from important things,the so-called addiction.

Bonds, seen a plethora in it. Thats a good sign(so obvious), but, to retain them is coined as 'hard' .The big Y(?) here too..,

I'm not expecting any one to be moved, coz I guess it doesn't make any sense here, reason being :my blog sucks.I'm damm worried...:-S

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (3:11 AM) : 

# Rik!
To each one his own. A lot has been said over why blogging etc. Personally, to me that question does not arise anymore. I write for the sole purpose coz it feels nice.
U know, what Addiction is??
The defintiton of it in layman terms is a "compulsive habit and a need to acquire that object of desire, by hook or crook" By doing things out of the way.
We all have jobs to do, work to attend to. Nobody takes their time off from important things only to "blog". Nobody goes out of the way to sit and draft posts. We channel time devoted for other stuff and write it here.

Bonds, well..Touchwood..for me these bonds have been truly enriching. I have formed few really good friends here, and believe me I am not using the term "friends"loosely over here.
You should put an end to it when the feeling comes naturally. Maybe for me it will come when I have someone with whom I can share my life with "as-is". But as of now, I dont see this as addiction but its passion!

 

Blogger PuNeEt said ... (11:16 AM) : 

hey dear...
its such a sweeeeeeet post...
lucky u... hez still wth u...

kuch yaadain taza hogayi...
i had written once abt my friend... when we separated after she got married n went to UK...

if u get time...

http://puneetdreamz.blogspot.com/2005/09/and-she-went-away.html

kuch log zindagi main aisi yadain chodh jaate hain...
jinhe jab bhi yaad karo hothon par muskaan aajati hain

take care...
cheers

 

Blogger Keshi said ... (9:25 PM) : 

awww truly awesome dedication to ur friend...he must be someone special indeed, cos he sounds really cool and caring...


lol @ate ur lunch


Keshi.

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (9:32 PM) : 

going out to a desi rest and ahving pani puri is not like having pani puri with ROS an sash. I wanna eat panipuri with them.
-thanu

 

Blogger Kiran said ... (11:18 PM) : 

:) :) Very much convinced

I should have commented something relevant to the post , but as its half way, let me:

The real essence lies in putting a new post each fine morning of a buried day and say "OK, done for today". This is near to confirming one's desire out of so-coined addiction, but as you said, to each one his own, retards me, when it confronts my case.

Hmmm,to end, I hope I get ROS brand comments on my B L O G too.

 

Blogger ritzkini said ... (12:39 AM) : 

le ! ab mumbai ki yaad dila dee !!
ek mujhe blore ki yaad dilaata hai !(vikki)
ek bachpan ki !(chick)
ek adolescence ki..with his antics !(surd)
aur ek mumbai ki !(you !)
tum logon ke liye sirf ek post..mere liye yaadein..and i go nuts for the next 2 days delving in nostalgia !DAMN !!
:)

love mumbai's trains..awesome inventions..capacity=infinity..
:)

 

Blogger Planck said ... (10:24 AM) : 

Ohhhh!
Shooooo Shweet!
I want a friend like that too!

Everyone does!

 

Blogger Kroopa Shah (Kr00pz) said ... (3:30 PM) : 

There is a saying- To meet, to love and then to part is the saddest story of human life....

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (5:20 PM) : 

#Poo,
Surely will check that post:) Yes in the end “Yaadein reh jatee hain, choti choti baatein reh jatee hain:!

#keshi,
he “was”:)

#thanu!
Aisa bhi din aayega zaroor:)

#Rik yaar!

Light le! Its not that you HAVE to put a POST each fine morning.

#Kini,

Ab kya Karen..yaadon ko dimag mein rakhne se load badhta hai:))
Welcome to the world of nostalgia:))
Lolz@Capacity=))

#Ganga
:)
#Prady!
Welcome back:P
Thanks bro:))

#Jigal
Thanks yaar!
Jalao mat yaar:((

Chalo koi baat nahi, meree taraf se ek aur plate: )

#Sneha !
Welcome to my « Life »
I wonder whats up with your id? I bet you are the most literate of us all:))
Everyone must have atleast one friend that way: )
Keep coming!

#Kroopz!
Very true : ))

 

Blogger Jagan said ... (8:55 PM) : 

I guess ur friend must have been very happy reading this post :) .

 

Blogger Krishna Ram Kuttuva Jeyaram said ... (4:05 PM) : 

a friend indeed!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 PM) : 

hmmmm, is that about me??????

 

So you were saying....