Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A tale of Pooja and Vijay!

{No this is not a fiction. This is my story.
My longest post to date! Sheesh, taken me like so many days to finish the entire matter}
I have always known myself (in my early growing up years) as someone who had plenty of friends, who never went and talked to strangers on her own.

This was true until the age of 18.

Yep! I have no clue, how I formed friendship in the formative years of my life.

That aside, my first telephonic conversation with a complete stranger was, when I was in the second year of Pharmacy. Someone, who was not my classmate, not a friend, nor a friends-friend!

That was the first time, I ever talked to someone on a "blank call".

Believe me, when I say, I was scared to death. Only if my mom would have found out.

After all a 18 year old girl is not supposed to talk to someone "for no reason".

On a lazy sunday afternoon, my phone rings and only me, my sister and two of my cousins were home.

I just picked up the phone and heard a complete unknown but a great sounding voice at the other end.

Voice at the other end (VAOE) says: "Who's this"

Me:"You have called up, you should know, whom you want to talk to" [Always direct, to the point]

VAOE:-I don't know you, you don't know me. But, I like your voice"

Me: (In hushed tone to my youngest cousin G) Hey, koi to ajnabi hai!!!

She grabbed the phone and said, "just talk to him"."Let's see what he says".

So, I started talking to him reluctantly and curiosity got the better of me.

That was the first time, some person told me I sounded good! Obviously, I was flattered!

VAOE: So what is your name?

Me:(Looking ar G)..who whispers in my ears "Tell him, your name is Pooja Kulkarni"

So, thats what I did "I am Pooja Kulkarni"

VAOE: Wow, thats a nice name..I am Vijay Verma"

[Me thinking in my mind]

"Naam to accha hai, awaaz bhi acchi hai..Let me talk to him"

VAOE: "So Ms.Pooja, what do you do??"

Me: (Unsure what to say, dont want to reveal my identity) and again looking at my cousin who whispers in my ears "Tell him MBBS"

This was getting exciting!

VAOE: Wow, thats interesting. How old are you??

Me: I am 18

VAOE: Thats young!! I am 25.

Me: Thats old!!

VAOE: [Hears the giggling voices of my sisters] "So where do you live"

Me: [Fear of being stalked, started looking at my cuz again] She again gives me gyaan and tells me "Say you live in a girls hostel"

I do the exact same thing.

VAOE: Thats exciting. I live in Pune.

Me" So what makes you make a call from Pune to Bombay (At the time, Pune-Mumbai calls were quite expensive and you probably had to make an STD call) and how did you get my number.

This incident was freaking me out to a large extent, actually!

VAOE: "Don't ask irrelevant questions. I randomly dialled your number. Liked your voice so thats why I am talking. And as far as STD calls are concerned, I am calling from my company, I am a CA"

Dumb girl, that I was, actually believed him. Without thinking, that who the hell works on a sunday afternoon and has the patience to make calls to strangers"

Me: Well, if you say so. But, I have to hangup now.

VAOE:"So can I call sometime, again"

ME: [It did sound tempting, but if this dude calls again when mum is around!!!].Ok, you can call me after 8:00 [At the time,we used to watch the TV and all that, so wont get wierd looks from her]

We giggle over the matter and my cousin says, "We should do crazy things such as this"

Me and my sister, were quite scared coz after our cousins left, we would have to handle the matter ourselves!

So my sister clearly says "Tu jaane aur tera Vijay. I am not involved, if Mum asks"

Sheesh! man. I am doomed. I hope the guy doesn't call me EVER.

After a week, my University exams commence and I was returning from my exam,w hen the phone rings at exact 8:00 PM.

The onus of picking up the phone was with me.

The guy calls me again!!

"Hi, this is Vijay"

Mom"Who is it, ROS"?

Me: A friend mom, discussing about how the exam went"

Him and me talk for almost 15 mins. It became a routine for him to call up at that time almost everyday for a week.

It started showing up on my face, coz mom gave me those wierd looks. Usually, she would never interfere as to what we talked on the phone and to whom we talked.
One of the tell-tale signs was that "I never talked to my friends over the phone in english". It was either hindi or marathi or hinglish:) and here I was talking to someone in proper english and that too nothing academic!
And somehow, Moms just guess it!
So one day, when this guy calls me again and my mom picks up the phone, he asks for Pooja!
Obviously, my mom said that he has got the wrong number.
Later, she mentioned how homes where there were girls, such calls were frequent.
Thats when I confessed the entire drama to her. The origin of Pooja Kulkarni and the whole episode and that this guy called from Pune:O
My mom laughed at the whole thing, saying I was such a kid in the block, and that no guy was going to spend that money on a blank call"!!
"This is just the beginning, you are going to meet many such people, who are going to pretend to be something that they are not" ..Mom said
"Watch out for those people and remember that dont believe everything that someone says to you"
I guess, that advise is proving to be a much needed Girl's guide for survival:)
Few months back, one of my very good friends here, was getting married and when I asked for his fiance's name..he mentioned as
"Pooja Kulkarni, MBBS from Bombay":O
Thats it!
What goes around comes around. I was destined to meet her:)
Now, when I have moved much beyond that time..7 years down the line, when I talk to people-whom-I-don't-know, I know what to expect. I know, I should not believe everything that I hear". I think, my mom knew when i would need her advice the most!

Comments on "A tale of Pooja and Vijay!"

 

Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said ... (10:05 PM) : 

Nice incident. !!!

Dropped in from rp's blog ....

This thing has happened to me too ... only difference being that i banged the phone down hard .... didnt wanna encourage the guy ...

so , u never gotta know who " VIJAY " was ????

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:20 PM) : 

#Deepa!

I think, you have previously visited too:)

Glad your revisited!

No re! I would have dropped dead if someone named "Vijay verma"came in front of me!!

I would have banged the fone too,if it happened now..but at 18..:O

 

Blogger virdi said ... (10:40 PM) : 

sayesha's post talks about the world being a small place and meeting people again and again... :-)

your post is not very different... you created Pooja Kulkarni and you met her after 8 years... :-)

sexy post b.t.w...

V..

 

Blogger PuNeEt said ... (10:42 PM) : 

slow down babezzz

kya teri blog speed to ek rapchik hain...

mezz busy with my audits...
will come back ...

yaar I dun wanna miss ur posts
so plssssssssss

take care

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:44 PM) : 

Hi Pooja! :-)

Now guess who this is.

(Obviously one of the chatur chaar!)

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (10:45 PM) : 

ROS baby!

Sahi post hai re... reminds me of my first blank call... will post about it sometime... :)

And yeah, Moms just KNOW.

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (11:04 PM) : 

Viks,

I noticed the surname too! Didn't say anything otherwise Jackie would have killed me! ;)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (11:05 PM) : 

#Virdi,

You know, life mein coincidences itne ho jaate hain, ki kabhi kabhi unke upar se vishwas uth jaata hai:(
My life is full of em..have blogged about it earlier..only thing is they remain that way..COINCIDENCES!!

Thanks btw, you liked the post!
I was reminding myself about something, thats why this post:)

#Poo!

Nahi yaar! I dont write with the intention of only writing! I have tons of drafted post. I write when I feel like it! Today was the day, I wanted to take something home and I was singing the tune to myself. But, for your sake, I wont write another one until you get back at this!!

#Vijay Verma!
It has to be YOU, VIKS!
Jeteejee marna hai kya mujhe:D?

#Sash!
Will look forward to that one:D
Moms know..you are a part of them na?:)

#Viks!
yep. Kulkarni, kulkarni n Kulkarni..tere koi behen hai kya?:P

#Ganga!
Fake calls are fine.But blank calls:O
Yep! Life is a wierd teacher, she gives you the exam first and then gives you the lesson:D

Thanks for the compliment..truly appreciated:)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (11:06 PM) : 

#Sash!

We posted the comment at the same time.
P.S:- I remember the email convo that we had almost a month ago:p
When I saw Viks comment, I did think about that:))

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (11:29 PM) : 

IDIOT!!

I was Vijay Verma in that comment!

Sheesh!!

But I'm good at disguises huh? ;)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (12:11 AM) : 

#Sash!

Hahahha..I shd have guessed:)

#Viks!
You would have come up with something like "Ponga Pandit and the Bandit":))

 

Blogger Kaala Kavva said ... (2:47 AM) : 

pooja kulkarn could very well be the name of one of ur cousin's frnds u c..
anywas
interesting incident..

ive had such an exp. myself too when I was even younger.. the only difference...
my mom didn't know

i really found the english part amusing...

there was this girl who called me up and i used to talk 2 her in eng.

whenevr my bro or mom came i started talkin in hindi!!

 

Blogger Princessse said ... (7:30 AM) : 

wah kya MAST mazzedaar kissa sunaayaa sunshine ... agar hum apne prankster se baat karne waali kahaani share karenge toh lagta hai kaafi achha post rahega :p...

 

Blogger RP said ... (7:58 AM) : 

Awesome ROS. Just like always, intersting. This is the best part of life - some crazy stuffs done few years back is the best way to learn a lot. I too have done some such interesting stuffs, though, I should confess, I cannot post them here for fear of censoring :-) ha ha

 

Blogger Deeps said ... (11:20 AM) : 

You left it at an interesting part :(. Didn't Vijay ever call you again? Or did you just stop talking to him after your mom's advice? :)

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (11:31 AM) : 

I so hope this Vijay Verma stops by this blog and reads this post.

Funny post. I like the way u made up things on the fly. Great Narration.

 

Blogger Kroopa Shah (Kr00pz) said ... (1:23 PM) : 

Very interesting. I've been tempted to make such crank calls but never had the guts to :-D
But yeah, I agree with your mom there when she said- Never beleive what others tell you

 

Blogger Ginkgo said ... (1:29 PM) : 

not bad...flirty @ 18 :-)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (2:31 PM) : 

#Z,
Hahaha..nahi re..My cousin had no friend with that name. She still doesn’t!
Hehhehe, funny @talkin in English!
Wow, even before 18..lol

#Princie
Yeah..I love remembering those times..I think you should write up a post soon.

#RP,
RP..thanks buddy..but I so wannna hear those “Censored”stuff:O
You know, how we are tempted to eat the forbidden fruit..Ill be checking your blog for that:O

#Deeps,
Smart question..You know what..I kinda forgot to write “what happened next”..
Actually, next when he called my mom answered the phone and told him that it was a proper home and not a hostel and there is none named Pooja Kulkarni over there!!

He never called again

#Thanu!
Ill faint if I come across this guy, who will probably be a father of two by now..25+7=32..Hahhahaha
BTW, I googled him too, few days back!!

#Kroops
No re, I never had the guts to make blank calls.Hahahha

#Arun,
“Welcome to my “life”. Thank you..:)

#Gi!
Donno if that could be categorized as “flirty”. BTW, 18 is legal age for marriage:O and I was just what you call as "flirty":p

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (3:41 PM) : 

He said 25, but that doesn't mean he is 25. He must have been 18 or even 42. U never know.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (3:53 PM) : 

#Thanu!

Sheesh! since morning whenever I think about you, I see an email/comment from you. I just wound up my work and checked my comment space:)
Hmm..Well his voice so didnt sound like that of an 18 year old:O
42,:O..quite possible:( nahi, he dint sound like uncle either..but ya he had a great voice;)

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (5:02 PM) : 

Really... u were thinking about me and I commented. I feel special. K ji ur Vijay is only 25. I have a friend named Vijay and he has a girlfriend named Pooja. Maybe Vijay and Pooja are very common names.

PS: In the movie Arzoo, Mardhuri Dixit and Akshay Kumar had the names Pooja and Vijay. I dunno why I remember this.

 

Blogger Ginkgo said ... (7:34 PM) : 

u dont wanna be flirty :-o
wat dya wanna be then!! :-P

 

Blogger PuNeEt said ... (9:04 AM) : 

I wont write another one until you get back at this!!

OMG... thatz so sweet...
bt I didnt mean that...
actually audits in my office so mez not getting time...

After all a 18 year old girl is not supposed to talk to someone "for no reason"
lolzzzzz good at that time u wer not introduced to blog world ;-)

I am calling from my company, I am a CA
Puri reputation ka kachra kar diya...

I think, my mom knew when i would need her advice the most!

ye ye...

hey it was cool stuff yaar...
but wat happnd to Vijay...
he never turned up...
no more trials

tu apne bacho ko sunnane ke liye tujhe kahani mil gayi ;-)
lolzzzz

take care
Cheers

 

Blogger PuNeEt said ... (9:06 AM) : 

I wont write another one until you get back at this!!

OMG... thatz so sweet...
bt I didnt mean that...
actually audits in my office so mez not getting time...

After all a 18 year old girl is not supposed to talk to someone "for no reason"
lolzzzzz good at that time u wer not introduced to blog world ;-)

I am calling from my company, I am a CA
Puri reputation ka kachra kar diya...

I think, my mom knew when i would need her advice the most!

ye ye...

hey it was cool stuff yaar...
but wat happnd to Vijay...
he never turned up...
no more trials

tu apne bacho ko sunnane ke liye tujhe kahani mil gayi ;-)
lolzzzz

take care
Cheers

 

Blogger ritzkini said ... (11:01 AM) : 

Me Last !!Yeay !!
:P
new post ! new post !!
:)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (11:11 AM) : 

#Thanu Baby,

Your Vijay HAS a girlfriend:p
Hmmm!! Vijay-Pooja movie Arzoo..cool..I have to find a guy named Akshay now:O

#Gi!

A happy person:)

#Poo!!
See, now I can write a post:) Waise, I was bored with the computer:)

Are, you would be surprised to know, I got hooked to blogging only in March 2004. When I knew what a "blog"meant.Call me primitive:)

CA ki reputation..hmmmm.So was it you by any chance:O

Oye, Vijay is gone with the wind!!
Plus, mere bachhon ko sunane ke liye, mein Blog likh rahee hoon. Who knows tommorrow I might get Alzheimer's so I would ask them to read all that their mom ever did in life:) Which is frankly not quite a lot:)

#Kini!!
Oye, you were gayab for so long and came in jumping to say "Me last".
So how do you know, none is going to show up after you:p
Aur subah subah post likhoon kya:p
P.S:- Radio pe Pinky was playing "The Wall":p
Viks where are you??:P

 

Blogger ritzkini said ... (11:50 AM) : 

PINKY !!! PINKY !!! Heights yaar !
satyaanaas of pink floyd !!
:)
ek nayee subah..ek nayee post !! come'on baby,light my fire !(err..just a doors track..no double meanings intended !)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:57 AM) : 

Incidents like these were definitely common till the internet came in! u at leastheard Vijay's voice!
There are people chatting on the net not knowing who it is & how he/she sounds!

What risk!!!!!!!

Take care

Rashmi

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (1:11 PM) : 

#Kini,
Dont worry, I dont have diplopia:p
A post in making:)

#Randomthoughts!

Hi Rashmi "Welcome to my life":)

Ya, I agree..one might think the person at the other end is 21 year old babe, when in reality you dont even know if she is 42 or rather even a female:O
Thanks for stopping by:)

 

Blogger Deeps said ... (1:21 PM) : 

Oh the poor guy must have been disappointed. But I am kinda surprised that he didn't try to call again! Unless your mom was really ferocious with him ;-).

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (2:12 PM) : 

#Deeps!!
No re, I donno maybe he was too surprised that I would confess it with my mom.
P.S:-Even if my mom wanted to, she could never be ferocious with anyone:)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (5:29 PM) : 

Oye hoye Viki!!
Aapka gussa bhi lajawab hai:P
Dint you know, it was purely to irritate you:)
Chalo maan jao!:)

 

So you were saying....