Powered by Blogger

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Fragrance that lingers!

Every home as some memory attached to plants and flowers!

We had a 'Hibiscus' plant that my mom had planted when she moved into our house first day after my parents had got married in 1976.

So that plant was an quintessentially a 'senior' in my house, much earlier than even me and sis were born.

Mom used to water it carefully, prune it and when a flower bloomed, she would offer it to Lord. Ganesh. Ganpati is usually offered red colored flowers and it is said that hibiscus (jaswand) in marathi is his favourite flower:)

She would use the leaves to make make some oil mixture which was supposed to make your hair even darker!





Then we had this flower 'Sayli' that was pink in color. The meaning of 'sayli' is 'delicate'
Truly, the flower was so pretty that one would never want to remove it from the plant.

We also had some 'button roses' planted. But, it was too hectic to take care of it. Didi and mom used to regularly add fertilizers but they since we lived on the ground floor, probably they did not get exposed to whole lot of sunlight. When one plant died, mom never planted any other rose plants.

My dad used to always bring flowers for mom whenever he came from work. He would get three 'gajras' for my mom, sis and myself. They both loved wearing those flowers. I would somehow not like it, coz I always wore skirts or frocks (of corz when I was a kid) and wearing a gajra on skirt..was errr..too 'vernacular' and I still think so:)

They looked gorgeous on salwar kurtas and sarees!!

I would never understand what was the need for him to get it like everyday. After all after the fragrance goes off, its waste! [So what I thought]. But then as I grew up I realized that mom would in fact wait eagerly to see which flower my dad had bought for her [he always got white flowers: Mogra, Chameli, Juhi ]

Although, I agree I love the fragrance of these flowers and I bet these flowers are much more romantic than a boquet full of roses!

I remember, whenever we went to Dadar ( a town in Mumbai), she bought packets of these 'white flowers' from the huge 'Phool market'.

She used to even make 'gajras' and distribute it to her friends and building walas:)

Weaving those was indeed nice, so what I thought. So I learned to weave it too. And even now, I have not forgotten it.

Wonder what it is about flowers, which has a 'feel-good'factor associated with it.

So why was I tempted to write about this!

Yesterday, I was walking across the street when I saw thic 'cute chinese couple' walking hand in hand. The girl stopped and took a look at a small white flower growing on a plant. Of course, I did not understand what they both said.

But, the next instant, the guy took one tiny flower from the tree and put it on her EARS. Of course coz her hair was straight wth no clips or bands to hold her hair;) But the expression on the girl's face was PRICELESS!!

As said by Albert Schweitze, " In the hope of reaching the moonmen fail to see the flowersthat blossom at their feet"

How long has it been that you have 'smelled' the roses?:)





Comments on "Fragrance that lingers!"

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (5:57 PM) : 

There are lot of flowers, but rose gets all the attention.

 

Blogger educatedunemployed said ... (10:57 PM) : 

Too long to have really enjoyed the fragrance.Beautiful thoughts.

 

Blogger aydiv said ... (2:31 AM) : 

hmmm... flowers are beautiful..just to see the bright flowers makes you so bright and happy ! Flowers are nice .

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 AM) : 

hey
I love FLOWERS :)
I have roses, lilies and shevanti at my home...aata pavsala chalu ahe..khup phula astat, mast vatata :)
nice colorful post!
tc
sakhi.

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (8:58 AM) : 

I luv the smell of jui, chameli n chafa..

right now we have bramhakamals blooming in our house.. faar bhari waas asto fakt eka ratri sathi.. but next morning one cant even dare to see the state of the flower

n a nice statement by Albert something..

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (1:56 AM) : 

Gerberas have no smell but I love them! :)

And yes, I love the smell of all white night-flowers that Sudeep mentioned :)

 

Blogger aria said ... (11:22 AM) : 

Really long since I smelled roses .. :) Hope you are doing good ..

 

Blogger The Girl Who Sold The World said ... (7:08 AM) : 

Eh, would all the flower lovers here strangle me if I say that I totally dislike flowers and would perhaps kill some guy if he dares to offer some to me? :-/

Oh, and the last time I had tried to smell the roses was when I was seven and I had ended up hurting myself with the thorns. I've a "rose-phobia" ever since. :P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 PM) : 

Hey nice post...I miss 'Sonchafa' smell.

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (5:50 AM) : 

Navdeep's fav flower is rafflesia :P

 

Blogger The Girl Who Sold The World said ... (7:13 AM) : 

Bah! I've only read that Rafflesia smells like rotten meat but never actually had the oh-so-good fortune of smelling one, unlike Sudeep. He uses Rafflesia spray as a room freshner...don't you, Sudeep? :P

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (8:46 AM) : 

yup.. got it as a b'day gift frm Navdy n a note along with it reading 'this is my fav smell n i want to spread the fragrance all around'

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:54 AM) : 

My dad used to always bring flowers for mom whenever he came from work.....And somany nice things in dis post...liked all of them...

take care

 

Blogger Abhishek Upadhyay said ... (5:47 AM) : 

I like roses but not their smell...infact the smell of rose is irritating to me. My mom tried to plant some flowers on our terrace....but they never survived.Right now we have only tulsi in name of plants.

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (11:07 PM) : 

Update shupdate ho jaaye, babe? :)

 

Blogger The Girl Who Sold The World said ... (5:55 AM) : 

@Sudeep: Birthday gift? :O No, no, I only believe in taking birthday parties from people...not in giving birthday gifts. Maybe some secret admirer of yours had sent you that Rafflesia...muhahahaha. :P

@ROS: UPDATE! :D

 

Blogger Vinutha and Lingaraj said ... (2:33 AM) : 

nice expressions !! But I do love those jasmine gajaras on my head.. but can't have them for long.. they gimme a headache.. :-))

 

Blogger my life.... said ... (11:06 PM) : 

nice memories..here in singapore we are not allowed to pluck flowers otherwise u get fined...haha...here dad don t get for us flowers but rather bring us out for lunch/dinner when we were smaller...i missed those times man! hi, i am lalitha from singapore...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 AM) : 

Hey All!!!

I just found the absolute best deal on airfares from this site :

http://cfares.regalix.com/cfares/cfares/index.jsp?channel=blpo&adgroup=starsandsun.blogspot


U have to check it out!! Really cool stuff.. and the best part is that it’s free!!! Whoo hoo!!!Anyway.. just thought I’d share it with yawl…it has 2 types of memberships.. gold and platinum. the gold is free and the platinum is paid.. I took the platinum one and a solid discount!!! The gold one is free and the prices are sooo much lower than other online sites.. a must see in my book!!

Cheers!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 AM) : 

Hey All!!!

I just found the absolute best deal on airfares from this site :

http://cfares.regalix.com/cfares/cfares/index.jsp?channel=blpo&adgroup=starsandsun.blogspot


U have to check it out!! Really cool stuff.. and the best part is that it’s free!!! Whoo hoo!!!Anyway.. just thought I’d share it with yawl…it has 2 types of memberships.. gold and platinum. the gold is free and the platinum is paid.. I took the platinum one and a solid discount!!! The gold one is free and the prices are sooo much lower than other online sites.. a must see in my book!!

Cheers!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 PM) : 

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following Lip Stick Blog, it is cool to!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

hey
waiting for UPDATE!! :)
tc
sakhi.

 

Blogger R said ... (12:25 PM) : 

Roses? Eew. :|

Update kar hi dalo ab. Weekend pe kuch to hua hi hoga na? :P *wonders if ROS got the hint*

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (10:29 AM) : 

still smelling roses n jasmine?
UPDATE!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:09 PM) : 

This blog is kind of different isn't it?

Perfume

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:23 PM) : 

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:44 AM) : 

Yes, I would :(, no...:) but just think that phobia is preventing you from enjoying the beauty of natural of nature. I had a problem with thorns too but I forced myself to experience the fear and trama by touching and feeling the roses. It broke and u i got over it, I'm free from that phobia so you can too.:)

 

So you were saying....