Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Vegetable medley

I have been trying to make this commmon Mumbai Street Food (Pav Bhaji) for so long!!!!!

I have always been lucky to find friends who make it awesomely well and I never had to bother to make it at all:))

But, suddenly I got this wierd craving and as I drove back home after a tiring completion of a deadline..I was suddenly excited on having friends over and treating them to pav-bhaji.

I recalled: Yes, I have Onions, Capsicum, Caulfilower (which I had bought last wk to make Gobi Manchurian) but Sigh! for all the grilling that I went through..Mera hi manchurian bann gaya..:))

Yep..I had carrots too (which I had got to make carrot halwa) ha..but lets not get there either:))

I had green peas and french beans too..

What else..what else...

Ya right...I need some 'Pav'(bread) as well..
So I stopped at a grocery store on my way: Picked up two packets of Buns, some tomatoes. Some really fresh Cilantro (coriander) . There is nothing that smells as good as fresh cilantro...:))And I was on my way back..

I decided to take a nap..and then at 7:00 PM..I called up two of my buddies..

"hey..whats up?? Me making Pav-bhaji..Tujhe aaneka hai kya??'

So there is this saying in marathi..that goes "Je je fukat..te te paushtik" [which means"What ever is free..is healthy"]

Ha! and my friends here believe in this adage quite strongly.

They agreed to join me!

I started to cut mah veggies and put them in pressure cooker.

Then came the time to chop in potatoes as well!!!!!

I looked in the same place in a small shelf where I usually stock in my onions and potatoes. And I realized that there were no potatoes!

THERE WERE NO POTATOES:O

I mean...its very rare for me to not have potatoes at home!

I mean..isnt potato the most veratile veggie ever?? I especially love potatoes in any form, shape and size!!!

Well, I dont mean anything here..except for the fact that sometimes we take the availability of some of the things for granted!

Some things or like in my case..potatoes. Which I knew..I will have it in my kitchen. So much so that..even the thought of buying it never crossed my mind. And I had to stay without making pav-bhaji:(

Coz a day comes when You just CANNOT do with your 'easily available' veggie:)

Comments on "Vegetable medley"

 

Blogger Apy said ... (10:14 PM) : 

GOLD :)

Dayaam!! N i thought i ll get a successful Pav bhaji recipe... You wont belv this but jus befr reading this post..i invited a few frnz for pav bhaaji on coming saturday.. though i have already tol them that they are gonna be guinea pigs as i m experimenting ... so was kinda surprisd wen i saw you talk bout making pav bhaaji (attempt).

 

Blogger Princessse said ... (11:38 PM) : 

Silver! Humein bhi yehi lagaa tha.. ke ek badiya mast mast pav bhaji ki recipe aur photos dekhne ko milenge...! Toh aakhir mein kya khaaya aur khilaaya sunshine?

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (3:23 AM) : 

Then wht did the 2 frnds have? ka tula fukat aani paushtik maar padla? :P

btw, keep the carrots for me ... gajar ka halwa... yummmyyy!

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (11:57 AM) : 

I know allu and onions are alwaz stock at my place too..

I know when we have abundance of anything, we take it for granted.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 PM) : 

"Je je fukat..te te paushtik" ...
so true :) .... Nothing can beat the pleasure that u get after u have a free home cooked(that also in US) dinner ....

BTW after dropping the plan of Pav bhaji what did you cooked for ur friends that u were expecting :-?...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:44 PM) : 

So what did the becharae get to eat in the end? :D hmmmm, I've never craved for Pav Bhaji in my life, but then again maybe it's like me craving for chinese food:)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (10:47 PM) : 

#Apy,
Grandpa! u did get my Pav-bhaji recipe, dint you:P? to awwaz nahi karenka kya:P

#princy,
Ya re..woh bhi aayega:))

#Sudya,
Two friends me se one gave royal kalti..and the other one was happy with one 'Veggie medley'sans the potatoes, Green Pulao and Masoor dal:)

#Thanu,
I bet:)

#Air,

See my reply to Sudeep..Also, that one Pav bhaji masala packet remains unopened:(


#Duhita,
are mein itna bhi booree nahi hoon...Fed them with 3 dishes instead of one..Bah:( an to-go food bhi diya:))

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (4:30 AM) : 

Bacha I make low-carb pav-bhaji without potatoes :P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

baki kucch bhi banao... paav bhaji to paav bhaji hai...!
bechare friends

y3

 

Blogger The Girl Who Sold The World said ... (9:13 PM) : 

You didn't have POTATOES???!!! :O :O :O If there are no potatoes in my house for even a single day, I'll die...I LIVE on potatoes! :P (Matlab pakaye hue...kacche nahin :P)
By the way, if you finally cooked pav bhaaji some other day, toh mujhe bhej do. :P

 

Blogger Princessse said ... (1:59 AM) : 

@wolf

Was it atta?

 

Blogger The Girl Who Sold The World said ... (11:27 AM) : 

Vikram, you evil creature! X-(

ROS, I'm a very, very, VERY nice girl. You know it, don't you? :D Mujhe bhejo...Vikram ko nahin. See how mean he is! X-( Pfffft.

@Wolf: Did they use raw bananas? :P

 

Blogger Princessse said ... (6:52 AM) : 

Oh wow!!! Now THAT's something new!! :) Thanks for the tip Wolf...

 

Blogger Apy said ... (5:23 AM) : 

Maine Pav Bhaji banayi theee... meri pav bhaji achhi bani..hehe..
:P
ROS ka dhanyawad dete hue Apy yahan se prasathan karenge..
hehe.. some Hindi I got...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 AM) : 

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
zebra seat cover

 

So you were saying....