Powered by Blogger

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Turning into a new leaf

I have attained a milestone! Hahaa..no I dint do the 200 mile race or got an award:)

Completed a quarter century on planet earth.

Now yet to scale another quarter century. Yep..I give myself 25 more years:)) [Have my own reasons];)

Although, birthdays arent that special for me anymore, for reasons I am unable to understand.

I see people inviting their friends home and having a huge party..but I stopped doing that since I turned 10. Main reason being that since my birthday falls during monsoon and I absolutely detest monsoon in Bombay, I myself did not like celebrating:))

But, birthdays have always been a family occassion for me.

Mom would buy me brand new clothes and we used to go to temple to thank god for whatever he has given me in that year. Along with a sumptous meal made by mom. The only thing that I savored was 'Payasam'. And she made it in such a way that I tried mastering that art..only to find that I failed miserably.

Most of all being, phone calls..I dont know..but I am pretty particular about my folks calling me on my birthday.

In college, we were 5 friends..and they would have a competition (just like Girl from Ipanema and The girl who sold the world have one;) as to who will be the first to call:)

For the umpteenth time, my sis calls me at 12 o clock midnight (India Time). Actually, it doesnt surprise me anymore, coz I wait for her call during that time and thats when I actually think its my birthday!

So then she says 'WOW..dint realize you were 26!" 'Hope you grow up (mentally) now:D

Thats the best compliment I have received so far:))

One of my friends R..with whom I practically lost touch with after college and whose birthday falls on 30th June..sends me an email without fail. Its been so long and we never exchange any correspondences all through the year but I know I will look for her email on 2nd July!

And today, as I set out of the house to visit the temple, I had a strange feeling..Its practically the only ritual I have carried with myself from India:) as far as birthdays are concerned.

Its not about family celebrating together, no payasam cooked by mom and yeay! no new clothes either:))

I have realized that the only thing that makes me look forward to birthdays are phone calls, emails and that ceremonial mid night cake!

I am particularly happy that my phone was continuously ringing beginning 12..The first caller (surprises) was Navdeep! I felt sheer embarrased that I assumed her to be one of my closest pals and started talking in marathi and when she confessed it was Navdy..I assumed she was fooling me..and said no..U sound like 'Sayesha' U cant be Navdy:O But yeah..she does sound like a sweet girl:)

Followed by Vikram (Idiot! openly asked one of my friends what my birthdate was:O)

Then, Wolf..who actually sang a birthday song for me..That was so sweet, my dear..then Wolf's sister..another darling who remembered to call me!

This morning, I was greeted by another sweet 'teenage baccha' Rohit:)

I sometimes wonder, what makes people connect instantly..I kinda waited for couple of people whose calls I expected but was disappointed:) I dont mind agreeing to that!
And I actually did not expect navdy and Rohit's calls coz I knew they did not have my numbers but were very sweet to fish it for me:)

The whole day, I am happy that even though am working today..there are many friends who bought a smile on my face..few of my friends and Thanu being the last one:)

These things make my life!

And today, I start this journey hoping that I continue to get goodwill from everyone:)


Comments on "Turning into a new leaf"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 PM) : 

Happy Birthday! Aaahhhh its so nice to still be so young:)

Hope you had a great day and will have a great year ahead!

 

Blogger Phoenix said ... (11:43 PM) : 

happy bday dids...

 

Blogger Apy said ... (12:09 AM) : 

Here s Apy wishing a Belated happy B day to one of his fav. bloggers :)
Wish you a wonderful life ahead.....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 AM) : 

Hey thr! Many many happy returns of the day. Happy Birthday. Hope that u enjoyed ur day completely and wish u lots and lots of happy ness and a wonderful life ahead.

Ok let me sing a song for u "Baar baar din ye aaye, baar baar dil ye gaye... tum jiyo hazaaron saal, ye meri hain aarzoo, happy birthday to u":)) ...

All the best .... live u life to the fullest.

 

Blogger Shobana said ... (7:41 AM) : 

hey happy birthday!

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (11:21 AM) : 

Hope u had a great day.

I kniw u were at the lab :(

 

Blogger educatedunemployed said ... (6:23 PM) : 

Happy Birthday.Though belated.Opps, I had no idea..Hope you had an awesome day.Yes some people have mysterious ways in making others happy, while some just miss the point.I hope you got over your disappointments.Really that aint worth it girl.Cheers.

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (7:19 AM) : 

damn! wasnt aware of 2nd July being ur b'day

Belated Happy b'day! Hoping tht u had a gud time n praying tht u have a gr8 time throughout the year...

 

Blogger shub said ... (9:12 PM) : 

hey belated wishes to you! ANd coincidentally i turned 25 yesterday! :D

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (9:44 PM) : 

#Wolf,

Heheee..u sang it well:)
Thats indeeed nice of you to 'still'say that I am nice;)

#Duhita,
26 Young:O plz explain that to my family now:)) hahaha..dil se hain bacche:))

#Kiddo.
Thanks janeman:)


#Apy,
Thankq..fav..blogger:) wow.thats a compliment:)


#Air,
Yep..I did..went to the lab:D
Thanks for the wishes:)


#Jade,
Thanks:)

#Wordsmith,
Welcome:) and yes! I got your email and your card as well..Wonderfully sweet of you:)
Will take some time to write back thugh:) U are a Grad student can surely understand my dilemma:)
Will drop a holler after 12th:)

#Thanu,
Yeah:)

#EU,
Thats OK re..not many knew:))
//Really that aint worth it girl.Cheers.
Hahhaa right said..

#Sudeep,
Thanks yaar..Prayers are all one wants:) See today am being nice to you:P

#Shub.
Thanks..and wish u too a belated happy birthday:)
A fellow cancerian..wow:)

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (12:55 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (12:57 AM) : 

Happy belated birthday :)

 

Blogger R said ... (2:34 PM) : 

My bloody internship & schedule didnt let me check your blog...Eew.


I dont want to write anything....I am sure what it feels like.
And I am glad to have wished you over the phone...thought I will be financially *$#^&...but! Thank God :)

I'm glad to have featured here. :)

Birthday Wishes! No need to mention how I wish this year be full of adventure and surprises for you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 AM) : 

Excellent, love it!
» »

 

So you were saying....