Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

What I have been upto

Haha! I have been disconnected from blogging fr a while now. For some reason, I did not reply to my previous posts. But did not want to do that just for the heck of it:) Sorry all of you, for not replying:(

Even now, as I type this..I do not know where my thoughts waver.
Caution: This must be utterly boring for some:D

Guess this is what happens when:-

  • You have lots of stuff going on that you are not able to sum them all up
  • You have a life of a frog that is confined to the well
  • You are spending most of your free evenings watching Bolly wood stuff for free on Youtube
  • You get so addicted to experimentation that even while you are in the kitchen, you are experimenting

Well, in all my life has been not too perfect..but close to being perfect. Got to spend time with loved ones, with friends, with family and realizing that no matter how many hard days at work, these are the people who will brush your blues away!

I have been confused, lost at the same time! That makes me sometimes question "Why is that things work for everyone else BUT for me'. But there are no answers to rhetoric questions.

When the two questions that irritates me include: 'When do you graduate'? 'When are you getting married'

Ok! just get the fact straight. I am not being a 'load' on anyone. My family doesnt mind my independence and my advisor would still wish for me to be around:) Agreed my friends have started to plan their second babies, BUT thats not what I want out of my life at this moment!

Probably they are normal people, and I am not! I had never planned the course of my life, and even now..I dont know what lies in the future!

Neways thats my ranting. And there was nothing new about it, so did not choose to blog that!

Otherwise, I have been cooking all types of cuisine including:

  • South Indian:- Thanks to Thanu, I mastered the art of making masala dosas from scratch. fermenting included. It gave me a lot of pleasure, to prepare the perfect 'udipi' meal, comprising of Sambar, chutney as well. It took me back to the time when I was in 4th grade and my dad used to teach me holding my hands, how to put the batter on the griddle to make round dosas. To the times, when Sunday brunch was all this and more and my constant cribbing that I want to eat something different. How we evolve!
  • Chinese Hakka Noodles n fried rice.
  • North Indian: Both my favourite paneer dishes, Paneer Butter Masala, Alu Parathas and Tandoori Paneer.
  • Typical Marathi Cuisine: Sol kadhi, Poli (another name for rotis), sprouts, kheer

All of these were instant hits and am glad my experiments atleast work in the kitchen:D

Some of the mis-hits included:-

Simple Vanilla Cake:- This was a recipe that I REALLY wanted to try! Found this wonderful recipe here. Well, there was quite a story behind making that cake. First, I knew I did not have baking soda at home, so shopped for that. Came home and the recipe asked for baking powder as well, and since I was hell bent on making the cake that evening itself, I was googling whether I can do without the baking powder. In turn, I ended up reading a lot about cakes on wike and other related websites and importance of the ingredients:))

Next, I ended up making the cake which tasted little bit bitter and I emailed Shammi mentioning that to her. And just today, I realized that the 'imitation vanilla essence' that I had used is in fact a petroleum by product:O

Considering all the efforts that I had put in..this was certainly unwelcome!

Neways, just like always 'Your end results are sometimes not a function of the efforts' which has proven to be true for me in many instances!

Bollywood Masala!

Ended up watching way too many movies lately:

Of the things I remember:

Golmaal:- Golmaal 2006 is no where close to Amol Palekar's classic comedy released in 1979. It does not even do justice to the name! The comedy cloyed and at times I really wanted to slap Tushar Kapoor! Sharman Joshi was someone who was pretty decent. The story was the usual crap, 3-4 men chasing one girl who probably has nothing else to do but to look pretty! Paresh Rawal is completely wasted.

Chup Chupke: Aha! just came across this movie while browsing. And really liked it better than Golmaal. Paresh Rawal rocks in this one along with Rajpal Yadav! Excellent comedy. What more Kareena Kapoor is shown 'mute' in this film. This actually helps, since she looks pretty and is not irritating:)

Yun Hota To Kya Hota: This one movie was off beat with Naseeruddin Shah's directorial debut. A movie to which one can relate to. 4 stories running parallely and all of them have one goal , 'To get to the US, by hook or crook' and this is the most realstic situation in todays world;) Althoughm the story has an abrupt ending, I am not sure..if many of the real life stories do have a concusion at all:) With actors such as Konkona Sen and Irrfan Khan, the movie does carry some substance!

Omkara: Not many girls would like this movie (coz all the other 4 girls who came to watch this movie with us did not). But I liked this one too. Not much to say about this Othello remake but the fact that Saif Ali rocks:)

Apart from that, watched Adam Sandler flick 'Click'

Hilarious, with a message! Loved the punch line that says 'Good Guys Take a Break'

=))

Well, anyways life is not bollywood.Haha.

Comments on "What I have been upto"

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Nice to see a post.

Glad to know ur dosas were a huge hit. Cake ka recipe chaiye to bol will send it to u.

 

Blogger educatedunemployed said ... (12:00 PM) : 

Whoa almost felt like I was ranting it out loud.So I am not into residency yet and no I am not married or plan to be just yet, but I too think that is normal for me.
You sound like you've been busy in the kitchen and elsewhere.Awesome stuff.
It is nice to see a post from you.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (12:11 PM) : 

#Thanu,
Ya all the guidance goes to you:) Haan any recipe is always welcome. Send me YOUR cake recipe:)

#EU,
Now I have resolved that I will respond to messages instantaneously.
The problem with ppl is that they have forgotten to play the waiting game. Kitchen is THE place for me. After I return from lab, thats the only place where I spend all my time:) That explains why I am not into TV:))
How r things with you?

 

Blogger Archana said ... (1:39 PM) : 

I just watched Golmaal yesterday (in the theatre, no less) and simply loved it :-D! It was total logic-less timepass fun!

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (2:35 PM) : 

#archana!
Hehee..maybe I have to keep my logic aside then:(

 

Blogger aria said ... (3:12 PM) : 

You can cook all that :O Awesome.
Out of that list - I've seen Omkara .. n liked it too despite all those bad words and yes Saif was a good surprise.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:52 PM) : 

"Why is that things work for everyone else BUT for me"
So true always happens to me, for me I am actually confused :( ....

Nice post seems like u did lots of things from cooking to watching bollywood stuff ....

U can prepare Sol kadhi ...I just love it, it tastes amazing. Let me also find the recipe and give it a try.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:52 PM) : 

Send me that hakka noodles recipe plzzz..

BTW
When do u graduate and when r u getting married??? ***do i see Rays of Sun emitting fumes? ;)

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (5:54 AM) : 

go where life takes u.. n where u feel happy.. as it is u cant please everyone.. n why one shld do tht?

i had idlis for lunch today :) n i absolutely luv south indian dishes

petroleum by product.. eekks! i hope i never get to eat ur baked cake :D

golmaal was not meant to be compared with Palekar's classic.. i liked it to some extent coz of Arshad Warsi
I want to see YHTKH.. n Saif rocks Omkara :)

btw, when r u getting married? :P
*logs off asap*

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (6:32 PM) : 

#Aria,
Hehee..me liked Omakara too!
Aria..girlie how have u been?
I have not blog hopped in ages:(

#Air,
Its easy:
Here is the recipe:
Maybe not authentic but it tastes great..Thats what matters

Recipe for Sol Kadhi
I prefer it warm. U can even make a chilled one.
1. I can coconut milk (from Indian store)
Amsul or Kokum – 7-8 pods
These r most imp ongredients.
Basically, mix coconut milk from the tin along with half the amount of plain milk and
Keep it boiling on slow flame.
Next, take some kokum/ amsul and steep in boiling water for half-one hour
In a mixer, mix the following. Garlic (I use plenty) and green chillies to make a paste using little water.
As the milk is boiling, add the chilli-garlic paste to it. Later add the amsul water to it.
Add some asafetida (hing) to it too (optional)
U will see a nice pale brown color.
Add salt.
Garnish with cilantro.

Wow..wrote a recipe after ages!

#Mrinal,
Send kiya:D
Tu mil..ill tell u when I marry:P

#Wolf,
U r close to ur answer:)
Will await ur post:) ur blog is abandoned:X(

#Sudya
Life takes me everywhere except for my destination:|
Heheheh tereko cake nahi thenga milega:P
Ya me likey Arshad warsi too!
BTW, hows Rajuli?;)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:18 AM) : 

Same pinch!
As for Golmaal,I enjoyed the nonsense. Once in a while it does help to see stupid stuff. I htink for th erole Tusshar played, the director compensated by giving him the heroine!

Rashmi

 

Blogger R said ... (1:50 PM) : 

All said and done, reading you spent time with loved ones and are happy just dashed a smile across my face.

Keep at it. Smiles!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 PM) : 

Hey so nice of you .. thanks for the recipe ... shall let u know the end results of my trial .... thanks you ...

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (8:30 AM) : 

thenga
:((

rajuli
ekdum fine.. ;)

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (7:44 PM) : 

#Random Thoughts,
Hehehee loved your comment!! Am sure this was the last Tushar movie I am ever going to watch=))

#Air
Oh my pleasure:) Let me know how it turned out!

#Sudya,
:P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:40 AM) : 

Hey All!!!

I just found the absolute best deal on airfares from this site :

http://cfares.regalix.com/cfares/cfares/index.jsp?channel=blpo4&adgroup=starsandsun.blogspot

U have to check it out!! Really cool stuff.. and the best part is that it’s free!!! Whoo hoo!!!Anyway.. just thought I’d share it with yawl…it has 2 types of memberships.. gold and platinum. the gold is free and the platinum is paid.. I took the platinum one and a solid discount!!! The gold one is free and the prices are sooo much lower than other online sites.. a must see in my book!!

Cheers!!

 

So you were saying....