Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Buss itna sa khwab hai

I have been thinking! Yes, we all do..but I have been thinking about ‘Ambitions’

The Dictionary definition of ‘Ambition’ is “An eager or strong desire to achieve something, such as fame or power”

So does that mean that people who do not have the desire to achieve “fame” or ‘Power” are NOT ambitious?

Well, eitherway..wish there was one definition that fit all!!

In my case, I would rather expand my horizons and compare myself against what I previously was, as a measure to see how well I am doing in life.

I do not have the constant desire to compare myself with a fellow colleague to see whether am successful or not.

One may argue that people who have been ‘successful’ are precisely so because they have been ‘ambitious’. So does that confine oneself only to Professional life? What about ‘Personal’ ambitions?

Coz most of the time, to excel in one field one has to compromise in other aspects of life. As they say, ‘One cannot have the cake and eat it too’

I have seen in the scientific world, in atleast 10 of the scientists I have met are either divorced or are unhappy in their lives. They are constantly under pressure to excel. They have a constant desire to compare people and in that attempt they belittle their image, making many of us wonder ‘Is this what we are born for?, ‘Is this why we strive so much in life for’, ‘What exactly is the essence of life’?

“Having a great profession or having a great family?”
Lucky and rare are those who enjoy satisfaction on both the fronts!

Leaving that apart, is there any age limit for being ambitious?

Would it infer that if you turn 55, you are supposed to be contended with what life has offered you and slow down a bit? As a teenager, I remember my parents telling me and my sister ‘Once we get both of you married, we shall retire to a small town away from the city and offer services to God’. This my mother used to tell when she was in her 40’s!

Similarly, I met a person who is 52 years of age, having 3 children who is pursuing his dreams even now! And I believe he will continue to do so until he hits the grave. Coz this person has confessed to not having rested for 20 freaking years of his life!!!!!!!

This person has reconfirmed my belief that life is not worth so much!
The punch line of ‘Bunty and Babli’ movie tells the exact same thing “Kuch log saree zindagi ek hi kaam karte hain. Aur kuch logon ke liye ek zindagi kam pad jatee hai, bahut kuch karne ke liye’

What is the point of being so busy that you do not go for vacations.
What is the point of being so involved with one thing that everything else ceases to impress you anymore?
What is the point of being so ambitious that you forget the basic of things that give you happiness in life, go out of the window?

I may fit either one or more of these criteria, but as another saying goes “When you think you can’t take it anymore, you will ANYWAY’

Comments on "Buss itna sa khwab hai"

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (1:09 PM) : 

One of my favorite punchline is from a ad I don't remember the company

"The people who you work for are at your home"

So true.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (2:25 PM) : 

So true..:)Humankind is faced with lots of ironies!!

 

Blogger Shantanu said ... (9:57 PM) : 

it might be that some people get happiness from work, this differs from person to person, however I too agree with a lot of questions that you have raised here, but again you cannot generalize things.

Shantanu

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 PM) : 

Being too ambitious is bad! William Golding the Nobel-winner has put this very effectively in his parable 'The Spire' in which the ambition of a village priest to build a spire on his town cathedral ruins not only his life, but the entire social fabric of the village he lives in.

Although a bit disturbing, its a real eye-opener for some of the people whom you know!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 PM) : 

And so is Tolstoy's famous story about the person who wanted to own as much land as possible. Here is goes:

(How much land does a man need!)

A person was greedy for land ownership..he would spare no way to get hold of as much land as possible. One day, the town 'Mukhiya' called him and said:
'From tomorrow morning, up to sundown, you'll own all the land that you can cover by foot"

So, the man starts running - he runs faster and faster, without stopping for rest or food! He keeps running until he is extremely tired. Finally, at sundown, his heart bursts and he dies.
In the end, he only needs a six-feet deep and three-feet wide plot - to be buried!

 

Blogger Sudeep said ... (12:37 AM) : 

gud tht u wrote this.. not coz tht is a proof tht u r alive :D but i need to apply this post in real life.. thnx
hope u r doing gud.. :)

 

Blogger Rajeev K Khattar said ... (7:58 PM) : 

Hi,I am Rajeev K Khattar from Delhi . . saw your blog while searching for Kale kale badal on net . . I think u will like song NEELE NEELE AMABAR PAR from film kalakaar . . . do u want me to send the link to you ?..cheers Rajeev

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/hindi_bollywood/s/movie_name.1082/

 

So you were saying....