Powered by Blogger

Friday, November 04, 2005

Hey, is someone listening??



Friday is seminar day. Students and outside speakers have an hour long presentation exactly during lunch time!
Well, a lot depends on who and how the speaker is and most importantly how he communicates his ideas.
During first year of my Pharmacy, at the Indian Pharmaceutical Association cultural evening, there was this well known figure (Mr.A) who was giving a welcome speech.
According to that speaker,
"A Talk should be like an Evening Gown, long enough to cover the important aspects and short enough to be interesting"
It has been what 8 years since I heard that, but I still remember it and that one statement has got etched in my mind, based on which I judge whether the talk is going to interest me or now.
Now, as I gain more exposure to speakers from different backgrounds, different countries and different areas of interest, to conclude as to how much I actually take home with me, I refer to that sentence given by Mr.A.
Usually, if the person is charismatic and knows what he is talking about,the hour passes by in a jiffy.
If the person cracks few jokes and sees humor in science, then thats an added attraction.
Few months back, we had this another amazing scientist who apart from being a reputed person, had an amazing sense of humor.
His introductory slide said " Germans say-Beer tastes best when served hot, Americans say, beer tastes best when served cold, Asians say, beer tastes best when served Free" [** I might have messed up between hot-cold and americans-germans]So please don't get into the details:p **]
Forgive my ignorance as concerns alcohol.
Then there was another speaker, who also happens to be quite well known and is a Professor at U Wash, Seattle..started his talk by almost presenting a Travelogue about Seattle.
We all were quite amazed to see that he was good in photography and had wonderful pictures of Washington. More than that, since I have fond memories associated with Seattle, I was more attentive towards what he was saying. He had some cool anecdotes regarding Seattle and its rains:)

It goes:


What do you call two straight days of rain in Seattle?

A weekend.

What does daylight-saving time mean in Seattle?

An extra hour of rain

His introduction had some great pictures of Mt.Rainier which, BTW is the most beautiful snow capped mountain that I have seen.

He added some trivia associated with Mt. Ranier.

So here, he comes up with a joke that goes

How to predict weather in Seattle??

If you can see Mt. Rainier, it's going to rain. If not, it already is.

Well, the point of my narrating these incidents might not be apparent, but I have had experiences of listening to the the best of speakers and the worst of speakers.

You might be the best and a big shot in your field but unless you communicate well and involve the audience, none is going to enjoy listening to what you have to say:)

It would be wonderful, if audience are treated as people with ears and not mere chairs, sitting in a big room!

Comments on "Hey, is someone listening??"

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (3:50 PM) : 

Czar!!

senior scholar
OMG! Senior..and Scholar..is demeaning someone who is a Senior and a Scholar:)

Are you talking about "you"as in me or someone in general?

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (3:52 PM) : 

Happy Friday.
Speeches on Friday afternoon, doesn't sound all that appealing. Great one liners.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (3:54 PM) : 

Hey Thanu@
where were you??

Hmm..Fridays..like I said are not the happiest days of my life:(..Seminars and lab meetings..Huh!!!

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (3:56 PM) : 

Czar!

Well, I was a TA, but I was known as a Khadoos TA..where I only graded..:))

I am done with courses..so dont have to attend classes.

Well, what according to you is "senior"?

 

Blogger jeenu said ... (4:20 PM) : 

hey ROS
well tell me abt the seminar's being short..i just got back from one..i was doodling rite from the start..for someone who is addressing an audience voice fluctuation is essential..when everything is delivered in the same monotone..ppl just fall asleep..thats wat i did :D
cheers
jeenu

 

Blogger Nandya said ... (5:08 PM) : 

attended a interesting one...this chap from the MIT legged Lab had come..and he had some cool videos about the legged robots that they had made...

 

Blogger Nandya said ... (5:08 PM) : 

i love giving seminars....and lectures...the kids hang on to my every word...LOL...or rather most of the time they have this blank expression on their face...but they really ask some very intelligent questions and u have to be on ur toes...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 PM) : 

It is great to have "good speakers", yeah. The dullest subject can be brought to life, if the person is creative, and makes things a bit entertaining as well. That intangible charisma factor also plays a role. I remember my looooong chemistry and physics classes, with brilliant professors, but an absolutely confusing and boring presentation style. Now I don't know how much role those Profs played in my total lack of interest and success in those subjects, haha...

Seattle...heard good things about the city. You lived there ROS? Is it a good place to live?

 

Blogger Parth Anand said ... (5:47 PM) : 

hey..nice post..
public speaking skills are so much lacking in some of the professors and presenters. Even if the subject is interesting to you, but bad monotonous speakers turn you off and put you to sleep.
I remember most of our seminars would be late in the afternoon. After lunch, the ambient would be perfect for an afternoon nap.

Btw I feel it is not only in Seattle..but every where in US..when it rains..it rains on weekends...most of the hurricanes struck on weekends too...

 

Blogger Bhole said ... (7:18 PM) : 

You're either good at it or you suck. :)

I think a little humor is good.

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (7:50 PM) : 

#Czar bhaiyya!
Well I also used to be a Santa Claus at times:p

Well, there is no ceiling for "education" You can take lessons forever:)

#jeens,
Sigh! People are going to say the same thing when I speak:(

#Nandya!

MIT ke bande ko "Chap"bolta hai..Hawwwwwwwww
Khoon ke ansoon royega re woh:(
When the kids ask you s'thing that you donno "Just say, Very interesting question, but I dont have the brains to answer that":))

Hershey,

Well, I developed interest in Chem only coz of my absoultely handsome Chem profs:) No wonder picked up Pharmacy:))

No re. Someone lived there..I never lived in Seattle! I am not fond of rains..love the sunshine:)

#Parth!
Right on dude!! You just said it all..


#Sheels!
Wow! so did you live in Seattle??

#Bhole!
Maine itna bada blog likha..but I only know how bad I am in public speaking:(

 

Blogger Sayesha said ... (8:38 PM) : 

That's SO true. Some speakers can put you to sleep within 5 minutes, while another can be talking about the same topic and yet get you so involved you don't realise how time passes.

I guess it's all about connecting with the audience. Like one of my professors said about advertising -- The gardener does not wanna know about your manure, he wants to know about his flowers! :)

 

Blogger vi said ... (9:15 PM) : 

ROS honey,
Why wouldn't I comment on your blog???? I was only trying to give you some space...errr was that you or nandu who wanted some space :)

Ok, bhai, hamare paas koi phd tu nahi hai lekin presentations and seminars kiye hai! A little practice goes a long way!

vi

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:16 AM) : 

Ohok...ROS. Ya, I love sunshine too! I am missing Summer already.
I like rains too..though.

 

Blogger aria said ... (4:53 AM) : 

Sigh .. I attended seminars only when we got attendance n were forced to attend them! No matter how interesting the speaker was - I was always yawning.

 

Blogger Kiran said ... (8:06 PM) : 

That was really gud, I attend a class at 8:00 Am (too early for me..), thrice a week. It lasts for 75 min, Through out this class, that guy acts as if he is in some circus...GOD!!! I cant sleep inthat class...so shud a prof be such a thing??? wat say???

I'll tell you an example: He instructs Microfabrication. Y'day, he got an innovative idea of stamping with his leg on a micron sized si-accelorometer, and he was literally jumpin on the floor... Man!!! No one sleeps in his class.... AND BTW, am rik a newbie to this blogs and infact to US of AAAAA.....

 

Blogger Thanu said ... (11:56 PM) : 

Looks like ROS is having a great weekend. No posts yet.

-thanu

 

Blogger Rays Of Sun said ... (4:15 PM) : 

#Sash!

So true!! I agree...

#Vi!
Are yaar..seminars to gharpe bhi milte hain:D
#Vik,
Tu professor ban jaa yaar..maja aayega...one hour of total TP
#Hershey,
I guess you live in North/East;) since you are already mssing summer!!
Well, each season has its own beauty, hai na?

#Aria!

First seat mein mat baithna:))

#Pradyot!
Hmm..too much technical jargon can put me to sleep..give me some humor!

#Hey Rik!

Oh sad sad memories of Louisiana...Even we had 8 o colck classes at at Shreveport..
Man thats so not done!!! Thats torturous to put someone who is barely woken up back to sleep..:(

#Thanu!
Just got some time..Will be a while before the post comes through...Gosh!me sleepy!!

 

So you were saying....