Powered by Blogger

Monday, December 10, 2007

India on my mind

Its the Holiday season.

Almost everyone that I know have plans.

Not that am regretting not having any, coz in my brief stint in the US of A, I have always been superbusy around the Christmas time:P

For travelling, I have rest of the year but during Christmas time I have "deadlines" to meet:))

Although, I have no grant deadline this year (finally)! I believe the "thought of being able to go to India in Jan" will assure that I will probably be working all of Christmas.

For the moment its just these "thoughts" that make me excited as well as super nervous.

The last trip I made home was in July 2005.

In an "ideal" world, I would have loved to go home every year but since thats a distant possibility, going once every two years should be possible.

But, when was the last time what I planned actually worked out, eh:P

In fact, I think am one of the worst planners one can ever come across.

Everything (almost) that I do is spontaneous. My weekend plannings have been that way and I very rarely book my flight tickets months in advance.

I really am in awe of few people who have their entire vacations chalked out so well:-)

So now, eventhough I deserve one vacation, I have been into a lot of anxiety lately.

Precisely coz of HIM. Every Indian goes through this big agony of breaking the news to his/her boss when it comes to a TRIP TO INDIA!!

For them, its 4 weeks of labour lost. For us it is 2 years of family waiting for us.

For us it is 30 days of pure and joyful moments in 700 days when we dont have to worry about how we look, what time we got up, when we should go to bed. About how we don't have to cook for days in advance. It is about spending time with people who have helped you in realizing your dreams. It is about friends with whom you have nurtured ambitions and whom you have left behind. It is about spending a part of your life with people who matter the most.

Anyway, when it comes to Professional life seldom are people lucky and who would hear their boss say "You have slogged for all this long. Perhaps time for you to rest a bit"

As one gazal goes:

"kabhi kisi ko mukammal jahan nahin milta

kahin zameen to kahin aasman nahin milta"

[Loosely translated, it means none gets best of both the worlds. At times we miss the land and at few other times we miss the sky]

Guess, am atleast lucky that I am quite at peace with my personal life which gives me immense strength to handle the stressful profession that I chose.

For the moment, let me just bolster my morale and shoot the question to him:-)




Comments on "India on my mind"

 

Blogger Shantanu said ... (9:01 PM) : 

Two years thats a looooooonnnnggg time. Man I really got fed up in my 6 months onsite to Europe.
Really liked the part "For us it is 30 days of pure"

Chalo happy holidays, and Merry Christmas

and yes "kabhi kisi ko mukammal...." is very right!

Shantanu

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 PM) : 

India trips-or in general any family visits are a booster dose for anyone living away...the bosses need to think long-term and need understand that the 4 weeks of lost labor ensures them more than enough creativity, motivation and inspiration on our parts to make up for the lost time in a week!:) That's pure ergonomics for them - if they are coldy practical taskmasters like yours is, this arguement is sure to convince them!:))

 

So you were saying....